The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hutton, Etem, Virtanen, Pedan at UFC event tonight in Vancouver

Canucks_4_Cup

I thought they looked adorable on camera lol what goofballs. I am a longtime MMA fan, so it was great to see up and comers from my favorite hockey team at an event.

Speaking of which, how 'bout that main event? I've always loved Maia- he's beaut and a beast!

I went to the 1st UFC in Van back when the canucks were playing the bruins in the finals. I was thoroughly disappointed. Part of it was because I was in the upper bowl and watched most of it on the screen, but the crowd was even more quiet than they are at canucks games, which is really saying something. I'd rather watch it on TV and listen to Joe Rogan freak out.

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I went to the 1st UFC in Van back when the canucks were playing the bruins in the finals. I was thoroughly disappointed. Part of it was because I was in the upper bowl and watched most of it on the screen, but the crowd was even more quiet than they are at canucks games, which is really saying something. I'd rather watch it on TV and listen to Joe Rogan freak out.

i went to that UFC as well but it wasnt the first UFC in van...the year before rich franklin KO'd chuck at GM place with a broken arm

9 minutes ago, Oliewud said:

i went to that UFC as well but it wasnt the first UFC in van...the year before rich franklin KO'd chuck at GM place with a broken arm

That was a crazy fight. Richie's arm was so floppy after that fight when he was wiggling it in the post-fight interview. :lol:

Man, poor Chuck. Just couldn't stop getting KO'd late in his career.

Tonight's event was great as well. Very solid card all around. I mean, not a lot of huge names, but when you get Joe Lauzon fighting Jim Miller that is automatic entertainment. Then you had Paige's sick finish, Anthony Pettis' as well. Plus Maia making it look easy. Dude really deserves a title shot but that division really has a ton of talent and it's hard to pick who gets it.

4 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I thought they looked adorable on camera lol what goofballs. I am a longtime MMA fan, so it was great to see up and comers from my favorite hockey team at an event.

Speaking of which, how 'bout that main event? I've always loved Maia- he's beaut and a beast!

Maia has taken it to another level in the last 2 or so years. He fell in love with wrestling and started training with Olympic level wrestlers, that really upped his grappling game which previously was just extremely high level BJJ. I would not be surprised to see Maia finish anyone at 170 right now. Blown away he finished Condit so easily, Condit is no slouch. 

5 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

Virt looking solid...

I was about to say the same. His face has got leaner and tighter, probably the training and dieting he has had this summer. Even his arms didn't look as flabby.

Well we can only hope that all the gym work will pay off on the ice.

1 hour ago, Strombone said:

Virtanen     

vs.                       Virtanen

Etem

vs.                    Pedan

Pedan

vs.                        Pedan

Hutton

Neat. You put Pedan in against young guys who hardly drop the gloves and SURPRISE he comes out winner. He has no defence from what I see and a history of concussion. If he is to make it in the NHL he better improve his hockey skills because I doubt he would last long against an NHL fighter. (Guddy for example would flatten him)

Archived