The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[article] NHL Teams Most in Need of Late Improvements Before the 2016-17 Season

Ted Lasso

26 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

Article seems pretty accurate, including Edler still being our best puck-moving D-man. The Edler hate on the CDC is a joke. Most of the rest of the league still seems him as our best D-man.

I'll agree that his consistency level can be super frustrating as can his wavering confidence (Tortorella time). Still, he is considered our best D-man by most around the league. He never should have been considered elite or Norris-worthy by the media and Canuck fanboys.

Edler is not a PMD. 

As for the team, we're in the middle of a rebuild, there's going to be some question marks.

Besides, the second line scoring is one of the many reasons I see Hansen and Eriksson swapped. Problem largely solved. 

I find it quite funny how some discredit this article because it's "bleacher report," similarly discredit eastern medias' expectations of this team because, well, they're back east and couldn't possibly know about the Canucks, and then call hometown guys like Botch and Tony G complete idiots and discredit their work. So no one is capable of assessing this team? Or should the hometown blinders be removed? I'm all for hope and positivity but at the end of the day, a little realism isn't a bad thing. 

The author of this paper is pretty accurate in his/her assessment. Edler is our best proven PM defensemen. Just because you don't like to hear it, doesn't make it a lie. And unless LE plays on the second line, we haven't addressed secondary scoring. Hansen will not score at the same pace last year without the twins and Rodin is a question mark. Sven and Bo can pot another few but overall the improvements aren't there. Too many question marks remain and JB knows this or else he wouldn't be looking for another top 6 winger (as reported). 

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Edler is not a PMD. 

As for the team, we're in the middle of a rebuild, there's going to be some question marks.

Besides, the second line scoring is one of the many reasons I see Hansen and Eriksson swapped. Problem largely solved. 

I think you missed the actual quote.  "The best puck moving D that we have"... that doesn't mean he is Karlsson

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

From The Bleacher Report.  Interesting to note that we are 8/8 on their list - seems a more balanced assessment. Also like how they've specified reliable defensive depth as a need, while still respecting the value of Hutton and Tryamkin.

full article: http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2659815-nhl-teams-most-in-need-of-late-improvements-before-the-2016-17-season/page/8#

Vancouver Canucks

of 8
Vancouver Canucks

Tony Avelar/Associated Press 

Second-line scoring and reliable depth on defense were areas the Vancouver Canucksneeded to improve entering 2015-16. Approaching 2016-17, those issues remain to be addressed. 

The Canucks second line could be comprised of center Brandon Sutter and wingers Sven Baertschi and Jannik Hansen. Sutter, 27, played only 20 games last season and is best suited as a checking-line center. Hansen 30, tallied 22 goals and 38 points in 67 games, while the 23-year-old Baertschi had 28 points in 69 games.

Defenseman Erik Gudbranson, acquired from the Florida Panthers, replaces departed veteran Dan Hamhuis. Alexander Edler is their best puck-moving blueliner, while Christopher Tanevhas become a good two-way defender. Nikita Tryamkin and Ben Hutton have promise but lack experience. 

Addressing the lack of scoring depth appears the priority. On Aug. 5, Canucks general manager Jim Benning told TSN 1040 (via Chris Nichols of Today's Slapshot) he was exploring his trade and free-agent options. He doesn't rule out bringing in a free agent via a professional tryout offer. 

Vancouver is last on the list because the list is alphabetical.

I really don't see the Canucks being able to pull off a trade to acquire that preferably 2nd line LW because we have nothing left to trade with. We're pretty thin at every position. 

Sedin-sedin-eriksson

baertschi-sutter-virtanen 

etem-horvat-Hansen 

burrows-granlund-dorsett

gaunce

edler-tanev

hutton-gudbranson

sbisa-tryamkin

pedan-biega

unless they shock the masses and trade tanev or one of the young guys then I think the Canucks are done for making moves 

43 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not so sure about the guy who wrote this article.  The Sabres should be one of the top teams in need on this list.  They're loaded up front but need a couple of solid young defencemen.  That's the only thing that will keep them from making the playoffs this year.

In my opinion Vancouver needs depth to cover injuries more than it needs any one specific thing.  Last season made that painfully obvious.

The Canucks are rebuilding on the fly, not from scratch.  There are some promising players on the team.

Any team in that division can make the playoffs. Overall it's a really weak division and Tampa Bay will destroy every other team. I bet both wildcard teams will be from the Metropolitan division. 

The "if" on the blueline is not so much "reliable depth" or "inexperience" -  it's more a question of how much the blueline will be able to contribute offensively imo.

Hutton could also be the team's best puck moving blueliner already, even if Edler produced more offense last season - and Larsen could give them both a run for that if he earns that 6 spot.

42 minutes ago, SunnyHours said:

I find it quite funny how some discredit this article because it's "bleacher report," similarly discredit eastern medias' expectations of this team because, well, they're back east and couldn't possibly know about the Canucks, and then call hometown guys like Botch and Tony G complete idiots and discredit their work.

You're welcome to swallow whatever you want.   Others are welcome to criticize what they think are garbage sources. I find it funny that you find it funny that people question pulp like the Province.

Common discussion board material/fodder.

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

When's the last time a PTO contributed to top 6 scoring depth?

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

Lee Stempniak.

It happens, but very rarely. Stempniak surprised people last year by scoring more than expected, but he still ended the season with less than 20 goals, is on the small side and relatively slow at this stage in his career and managed to get traded again last year. He has been on 9 different NHL teams in 10 years so it is not like been all that impressive. I expect him to back in the bottom six this year and would not want him on the Canucks. I would much rather play a young guy like Baertschi on the second line than bring in a guy like Stempniak. And of course most PTOs are nowhere near that good.

1 hour ago, TheCammer said:

Article seems pretty accurate, including Edler still being our best puck-moving D-man. The Edler hate on the CDC is a joke. Most of the rest of the league still seems him as our best D-man.

I'll agree that his consistency level can be super frustrating as can his wavering confidence (Tortorella time). Still, he is considered our best D-man by most around the league. He never should have been considered elite or Norris-worthy by the media and Canuck fanboys.

46 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Just like a lot of teams, there are a little of ifs with the Canucks.

If they stay much healthier

If Hutton improves a bit instead of slumping

If Horvat, Baertschi, Gaunce, Etem, Tryamkin all take a step

If Larsen is the puck mover he might be

If Tanev improves offensively 

If Rodin can translate his dominance of the SEL to the NHL 

And so on....

Every team has the same list. If a larger percentage come true than not they will make the playoffs.  If a small percentage come true they are in the lottery.  

Yes the Canucks could use some scoring insurance with some grit.  No I wouldn't want to give up Tanev or Hutton to get it.

Trust in Jim to make a bolstering move that doesn't hurt the future much.

The above two comments look right to me. Edler is still Canuck's best PMD and the best D overall, despite not being as consistent as we would like. There is a reason the Canucks fell off a cliff after he was injured last year. As Cammer points out, it has become fashionable on CDC to dump on Edler and to praise Tanev. Tanev is good but Edler is better, overall, as contributes much more to the offence. But, let's face it, on a good team Edler and Tanev make a very good second pairing. Neither one is a legitimate top of depth chart guy on a good team.

I think Dixon Ward has the right read on what needs to happen for the Canucks to make the playoffs. I also agree that trading Tanev or Hutton for some short-run 2nd line scoring help would be a big mistake.

Unlike Dixon Ward I do have any particular trust that JB can make a meaningful bolstering move for this year without hurting the future much. There just aren't many such moves available out there and trying to force it just does more harm than good.

1 hour ago, Freeridebc said:

Maybe Edler would waive to Detroit? I've always thought that'd be a good fit for us to trade with. 

It's easy to throw out team names as possible trade partners, but whom exactly are you expecting Detroit to make available to JB that fit his requirements of: young, gritty/physical,  brings size and can score top 6 points and won't want to rob us of both Edler and our modest prospect pool?  

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm just adding fuel to the fire, but what do you guys think of Edler following the Whitecaps down to LA? Perhaps more there than meets the eye.

I don't even think superfans follow the Whitecaps that far south. 

Kings just lost Lucy and he's the exact type of player JB is seeking - you think they'd give us their next closest Lucy-type player for Edler........keep stirring the pot ^_^.

Archived