The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next Alternate Captain?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next Alternate Captain?  

284 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

-30.  Leaders are supposed to lead by example - that is not a good example.

If you watched the games you would know that his terrible +/- isnt an indicator of his playing ability and effort. 

He was given 2nd line duties for most of the season as a 20 year old, in a heavy western conference. I dont know much players that could do that and still pot 40 points. So yes he does lead by example. 

16 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Maholtra had probably 10 years nhl experience though, Mitchell played a couple seasons before he was an alternate. I think its early to make Gudbranson an Assistant C, maybe in a couple years.

Gudbranson already has five seasons under his belt. I'd say he's more ready than Horvat. And in the shutdown role he'll be on the ice a lot. He's the logical choice from the D.

15 hours ago, Baggins said:

Gudbranson already has five seasons under his belt. I'd say he's more ready than Horvat. And in the shutdown role he'll be on the ice a lot. He's the logical choice from the D.

The logical choice from among the younger players too, someone a bit intimidating from their peer group who isn't going to retire in a few years and who they'll have to answer to for a long time.  This is what Virtanen (for one) needs. 

On 07/09/2016 at 9:20 PM, Laheys Liquor said:

If you watched the games you would know that his terrible +/- isnt an indicator of his playing ability and effort. 

He was given 2nd line duties for most of the season as a 20 year old, in a heavy western conference. I dont know much players that could do that and still pot 40 points. So yes he does lead by example. 

Actually, I did watch the games and his -30 was well-earned by being ineffective in his own end.  When he learns how to turn the -30 into a +30, then maybe he could be considered for captaincy - right now he shouldn't even be considered future captain material because he hasn't proven anything.  That would be kind of like giving the Nobel Award to some guy who hasn't accomplished a damn thing... oops... Al Gore, ...Obama.  We don't have to make the same mistakes as the Nobel Society.

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Actually, I did watch the games and his -30 was well-earned by being ineffective in his own end.  When he learns how to turn the -30 into a +30, then maybe he could be considered for captaincy - right now he shouldn't even be considered future captain material because he hasn't proven anything.  That would be kind of like giving the Nobel Award to some guy who hasn't accomplished a damn thing... oops... Al Gore, ...Obama.  We don't have to make the same mistakes as the Nobel Society.

Well.. clearly we have different perspectives then.. lets agree to disagree :P

30 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Agreed..One Dman should be represented in the assistant captains...Bieksa and Hamhuis were the predecessors....Horvats time will come down the road.

yup, and as we saw last year, horvat doesn't need any more pressure

• 4 weeks later...

Just bumping this thread because the Canucks have yet to name any addition assistants(it is current hank as captain and danny as the one assistant).

Regular season starts tomorrow, first game for us is in 3 days i believe. 

WHEN WILL WE KNOW?!

Archived