The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next Alternate Captain?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next Alternate Captain?  

284 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

The one thing I have kinda picked up on over the years is Hansen acts like a clown most of the time. Not saying that's a bad thing, it's actually really awesome to have a guy like that on your team but in my experience in everyday life and sport they don't make the best leaders. You gotta have that leadership quality. I think Tanev is the obvious choice, I don't think we should add additional pressure to Horvat during his developmental stage. He needs all the freedom in the world right now.  

The added publicity would definitely hurt BoHo's development.

I still think its a bit too early for Horvat.  Usually want one of your letters on the back end, so Ill say Gudbranson gets it.  Most sports writers and Florida fans agree that he would have been the next captain in Florida.  Sooo...

Either Burrows for a year, then Gudbranson, or Gudbranson right away.

Horvat will get one of the twins letters when those are relinquished.  I think Gud will be the next captain after Henrik.

Tanev isnt out spoken enough imo.  THats not to say that you cant have quiet leaders, but imo Gudbranson fits the leader mold to a "T" and hes ready for it.

Voted Hansen. At least for this season.

Next year I think they could start the preliminary stages of transitioning the leadership group (at least when it comes to the assistant captains--Henrik wears the "C" until he retires or decides to take a step back).

I'd be good with Horvat, Sutter, or Gudbranson.  

Maybe Burrows. He's certainly a big part of this team's leadership. Although I don't know if he's the best fit for a formal role (as in wearing a letter). Given his reputation (both deserved and undeserved), I'm not sure he's really the guy we want having conversations with the refs, etc.

Ideally, I think Bo gets a letter next season (as in 2017-18). He already has a lot on his plate this coming year. Not that I feel Horvat would be overwhelmed but I'd still like to see him settle in more a little more to his role and show 82 game consistency before giving him the "A" (and eventually getting the "C" whenever Hank decides it's time to step down).

Gudbranson I'd like to see play a full season before giving him a letter. 

Similar for Sutter. 

But they're all very capable.

I just feel like Hansen has really matured over the past two seasons and he's stepped up to become one of this team's core leaders, on and off the ice. He's become a true mentor for the younger players. And he's also become very vocal in recent years, on the ice, on the bench, in the room, and with the media. He's really become one of the main voices for this team and that deserves to be formally acknowledged.

I'd probably just let the boys decide at the end of training camp. They could either pick the new assistant captain outright or maybe nominate three guys and let the coaches choose. 

I'm not a big supporter of the idea that we need new leadership voices (at least right now) outside of the Sedins and the other longer serving members of this team. At least not until the old guard moves on, or at least starts transitioning to lesser roles. I'd rather let the new guys assimilate to the current leadership group rather than risk splitting the room (which was apparently becoming an issue a few years ago, although those players have since moved on).

EDIT: Not that the significance of the "A" should be overstated. Leaders emerge on teams regardless of who wears the letters. Just that I'd rather see a natural transition happen once the new, younger core players have really acclimated to the team, developed as professionals (at least in Bo's case), and proven their worth in their roles. No reason to force things or rush anybody.

It is time for a culture change. We need to have some push back this season and show our younger guys that we have to play with intesity and toughness. 

Gudbranson is that guy.  He will fight for his team, play the hard game and will leave it on the ice. 

Horvat is still too young IMO and is my next choice for a letter. Gudbranson is respected around the league, is outspoken with tons of character. By making him wear the A it shows that JB and co believe in him and his ability. Win win. 

Show our young guys what the club expects and highly motivate a 6'5 230 24 y/o defender to up his game. 

EW

25 minutes ago, billabong said:

Surprised by all the love for gudbranson. Burrows is a great leader but he's not a lock to be in the line up every night. Edler doesn't lead by any means. Tanev, Sutter or horvat would be my vote. 

Agreed with Edler and Burrows, but Tanev doesn't really lead either. He's quite quiet and unemotional.

Sutter, Gudbranson, or The Honey Badger

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Voted Hansen. At least for this season.

Next year I think they could start the preliminary stages of transitioning the leadership group (at least when it comes to the assistant captains--Henrik wears the "C" until he retires or decides to take a step back).

I'd be good with Horvat, Sutter, or Gudbranson.  

Maybe Burrows. He's certainly a big part of this team's leadership. Although I don't know if he's the best fit for a formal role (as in wearing a letter). Given his reputation (both deserved and undeserved), I'm not sure he's really the guy we want having conversations with the refs, etc.

Ideally, I think Bo gets a letter next season (as in 2017-18). He already has a lot on his plate this coming year. Not that I feel Horvat would be overwhelmed but I'd still like to see him settle in more a little more to his role and show 82 game consistency before giving him the "A" (and eventually getting the "C" whenever Hank decides it's time to step down).

Gudbranson I'd like to see play a full season before giving him a letter. 

Similar for Sutter. 

But they're all very capable.

I just feel like Hansen has really matured over the past two seasons and he's stepped up to become one of this team's core leaders, on and off the ice. He's become a true mentor for the younger players. And he's also become very vocal in recent years, on the ice, on the bench, in the room, and with the media. He's really become one of the main voices for this team and that deserves to be formally acknowledged.

I'd probably just let the boys decide at the end of training camp. They could either pick the new assistant captain outright or maybe nominate three guys and let the coaches choose. 

I'm not a big supporter of the idea that we need new leadership voices (at least right now) outside of the Sedins and the other longer serving members of this team. At least not until the old guard moves on, or at least starts transitioning to lesser roles. I'd rather let the new guys assimilate to the current leadership group rather than risk splitting the room (which was apparently becoming an issue a few years ago, although those players have since moved on).

EDIT: Not that the significance of the "A" should be overstated. Leaders emerge on teams regardless of who wears the letters. Just that I'd rather see a natural transition happen once the new, younger core players have really acclimated to the team, developed as professionals (at least in Bo's case), and proven their worth in their roles. No reason to force things or rush anybody.

Hansen for me as well, and totally agree with SID. True leaders stand out regardless of letters or titles...

3 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Agreed with Edler and Burrows, but Tanev doesn't really lead either. He's quite quiet and unemotional.

Sutter, Gudbranson, or The Honey Badger

Does a player wearing an A increase their trade value: (Hansen and Tanev)?

2 hours ago, jono2009 said:

Everyone always talks about Horvat being the next captain, I know he hasn't suited up yet but why hasn't anyone mentioned Boeser? I think he will be a great player who would be a bigger candidate for Captain. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Gudbranson gets consideration.  Boeser and Horvat need to just focus on learning the game, let's not overload them with leadership duties until they are in their prime and can handle the extra load

40 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It is time for a culture change. We need to have some push back this season and show our younger guys that we have to play with intesity and toughness. 

Gudbranson is that guy.  He will fight for his team, play the hard game and will leave it on the ice. 

Horvat is still too young IMO and is my next choice for a letter. Gudbranson is respected around the league, is outspoken with tons of character. By making him wear the A it shows that JB and co believe in him and his ability. Win win. 

Show our young guys what the club expects and highly motivate a 6'5 230 24 y/o defender to up his game. 

EW

Gudbranson is 230 lbs? most hockey sites have him at 216.

Give it to Bo. Everyone on CDC, in the media and even the Canucks own promotional material are hailing him as the next captain. Let's give him an A now and let Henrik teach him how to talk the refs out of penalties (seriously, Henrik actually talked a ref out of a penalty last season. I've never seen that before).

Gudbranson hasn't even played a game in the jersey and he's coming to town with 1 year on a contract. I would prefer if he atleast played one season, as well as signed an extention before we hold him above our cultured proven leaders. 

Yeah ok leader in Florida, he will need time to build that rapport with completely different people. This will take some time.

20 games for Sutter is , in my opinion not enough also.

I think the team already knows who they want.

Horvat would be the right choice and Burr would be cool with that knowing that leadership needs to start with young core now.

After the Hank and Dank are done, Guddy (if he signs long term) and Eriksson. Guddy may even get the captaincy at that point with his great leadership qualities already displayed in Florida.

Just now, hearditall said:

Next year:

H. Sedin  - C

Gubranson - A

Sutter - A

After Sedin:

Horvat - C

Gubranson - A

Sutter - A

Horvat quietly but surely under the Hank's mentoring will be handed over the "C" from Hank himself.

Was Hank an A before he got the C?

Archived