The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone surprised by the rash of injuries before the World Cup?

wren223

Just been noticing over the last few weeks the number of injuries that players have been taking before the season has started and before the World Cup. It also seems to have picked up a lot over the last week or so with the likes of Sean Monahan, Jeff Carter, Zetterberg, Krejci and a few more. It seems everyday that more and more players won't be at the World Cup.

I get a feeling like this might turn into the All Star Break when so many great players are injured or unable to come play and teams happily rest them for a few days. I can understand from a player's view point that they don't paid anymore, have the potential to get injured and fatigued later in the season playing more. Could also be seen as a way to warm up for the regular season but I really don't think so as most top players don't play much in the pre-season anyways.

Thoughts? (specifically related to this topic please. I've been on CDC long enough to know where it could go if not given some direction)

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's more like an all-star game with multiple teams. Bad idea. Just stick to the Olympics. 

Tickets were ridiculously overpriced and haven't sold out. Have you seen the pepsi add where they are 'thanking fans'...

NHL is in damage control, its not going well and fans aren't buying into the money grab. They should have revived the Canada cup and had pure country teams only vs the dog an pony show of under 21 and 'Europe'....

Bettman is probably having an aneurysm - if Toronto nuts won't over pay for hockey you know its really BAD

I will watch the games because I love the game, regardless of the time of year but especially when there has been three months between live games. I really don't care about who wins or who loses and I can't get excited about any rivalry because this is a mean nothing exhibition series for which the risks outweigh the benefits. Who cares if you win this tournament if you tear up a knee, break a foot, or are severely concussed? Just due to the risk of injury, I'd be happy if none of the Canucks were involved. I suspect a lot of players feel the same way and if they have so much as a hangnail, they'll be looking to pull the ripcord.

Lol, I was considering making a thread of the growing list of players dropping out. The number is quite significant. It's a meaningless tournament at the time of year when players are just getting prepared for competitive hockey. If the Canucks or any team really loses one of their players to this tournament, it will truly be a disaster. 

From what I can tell via the reports,  these are mostly 'precautionary' withdraws for these guys. 

You can bet the NHL clubs are probably leaning on these guys hard not to play in this tournament if there's absolutely any reasonable doubt they're not 100%.

If this was the SCF these guys would probably be playing.

We need Intl Govt's to ramp up their game. If they can bring the world to the precipice of NUCLEAR ANNIHILATION, it'll make our sporting events more significant. Hollywood could help with more sophisticated 'John Wayne' propaganda-type films.

Basically we need to hate everyone, to enhance our sporting experience :^/

2 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

Tickets were ridiculously overpriced and haven't sold out. Have you seen the pepsi add where they are 'thanking fans'...

NHL is in damage control, its not going well and fans aren't buying into the money grab. They should have revived the Canada cup and had pure country teams only vs the dog an pony show of under 21 and 'Europe'....

Bettman is probably having an aneurysm - if Toronto nuts won't over pay for hockey you know its really BAD

I live in Toronto. Can confirm no one gives af

4 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I live in Toronto. Can confirm no one gives af

I checked ticketmaster and the prices were absurd. NHL made a really bad error here.

1. Turn the Canada Cup into a weird tournament by having these odd teams - so it takes alot of the national pride away and thus intensity - fans aren't stupid

2. Preseason / Summer is fine but people know that without number 1 (the intensity) its going to be hard for these guys to want to 'lay it on the line' - thus the entertainment value becomes questionable

3. They were charging "FACE" on ticketmaster for some Canada games 350-500 in the lower bowl! No one is going to pay that given 1 and 2

4. They put it in Toronto because they assumed Toronto fans are stupid enough (because Bay St buys up the lower bowl at Leafs games) that they'd do the same here and could charge as they please = money grab = again fans aren't stupid

Buttman didn't use his brain

19 minutes ago, Nuckles80 said:

Overall I agree with you but, 

30 billionaire NHL owners, the NHLPA, plus the IIHF agreed to this as well - Bettman doesn't run all of hockey,  there'll be plenty of blame all around. 

22 minutes ago, Nuckles80 said:

I checked ticketmaster and the prices were absurd. NHL made a really bad error here.

1. Turn the Canada Cup into a weird tournament by having these odd teams - so it takes alot of the national pride away and thus intensity - fans aren't stupid

2. Preseason / Summer is fine but people know that without number 1 (the intensity) its going to be hard for these guys to want to 'lay it on the line' - thus the entertainment value becomes questionable

3. They were charging "FACE" on ticketmaster for some Canada games 350-500 in the lower bowl! No one is going to pay that given 1 and 2

4. They put it in Toronto because they assumed Toronto fans are stupid enough (because Bay St buys up the lower bowl at Leafs games) that they'd do the same here and could charge as they please = money grab = again fans aren't stupid

Only thing people talk about in Toronto right now is the Blue Jays. Baseball is dominating the city, it's everywhere you go and the buzz is real. 

No one cares about the Leafs, the World Cup or hockey right now.

These aren't new injuries. They're players with existing injuries for the most part who are jumping on the excuse to get out of playing high intensity games right off the bat before preseason where they could aggravate what they've been protecting all summer. But they want to play meaningful games in September as much as we want to pay to see this farce.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

From what I can tell via the reports,  these are mostly 'precautionary' withdraws for these guys. 

You can bet the NHL clubs are probably leaning on these guys hard not to play in this tournament if there's absolutely any reasonable doubt they're not 100%.

If this was the SCF these guys would probably be playing.

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

That sounds about right. 

I think if it was regular season they would probably be playing :lol:

This thing is like the all star game, it's an honour to get picked but no one actually wants to have to play in it hence the phantom injuries.

Stupid NHL/NHLPA cash grab, I hate anything that delays the start of the season. 

Archived