The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone surprised by the rash of injuries before the World Cup?

wren223

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Only thing people talk about in Toronto right now is the Blue Jays. Baseball is dominating the city, it's everywhere you go and the buzz is real. 

No one cares about the Leafs, the World Cup or hockey right now.

Seems like the national sports outlets alternate between the Blue Jays and discussing trivial things about Austin Matthews such as what he had for breakfast, where he shops ans what time he took a dump.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's more like an all-star game with multiple teams. Bad idea. Just stick to the Olympics. 

It should be called "NHL cup" since "World cup" should be reserved for top level country vs country competition.

Ice hockey just doesn't have enough interest worldwide to hold a competitive world cup hence, team Europe and team NA. They should just stick to going to the Olympics and try to sell the game. Too bad Bettman doesn't want to go to the Olympics over petty insurance and travel cost, which is how much? 10 million dollars? 20 million dollars? Can't be 100 million dollars, can it? For 2 weeks event?

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's more like an all-star game with multiple teams. Bad idea. Just stick to the Olympics. 

THIS

I have watched and loved many international tourneys over the years I've been a fan.

Never have I seen one so pointless uninspired uninteresting unnecessary as this embarrassment they are about to roll out and splatter the hockey world with

Perception matters very much when marketing anything, and this tourney has an anti-buzz going, hockey will sell less for them having had it.

The NHL really is run by idiots, I'd love to say it's Bettman's fault but he's just the fall guy, I guess Jeromy Jacobs calls the shots now that Ed Snider is dead?

57 minutes ago, khay said:

It should be called "NHL cup" since "World cup" should be reserved for top level country vs country competition.

Ice hockey just doesn't have enough interest worldwide to hold a competitive world cup hence, team Europe and team NA. They should just stick to going to the Olympics and try to sell the game. Too bad Bettman doesn't want to go to the Olympics over petty insurance and travel cost, which is how much? 10 million dollars? 20 million dollars? Can't be 100 million dollars, can it? For 2 weeks event?

and it is the greatest advertisement for their product anyone could imagine, during the winter Olympics, in Cali, for that brief period hockey is #1

And they are going to piss it all away? It was the Olympics that made Sidney Crosby a household Name in the states, EVERYBODY watched that game.

Anyone remember the last worldcup? Right before the '05 lockout?

Didn't thhink so, the world/Canada/Whatever cup is DEAD

That was a very dark time for the game

What was that stupid slogan they had a few years back? History all over again? something just a hair better than "The Nome under the Dome" maybe they should bring the Nome back to shill some tickets for the WC

3 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Lol, I was considering making a thread of the growing list of players dropping out. The number is quite significant. It's a meaningless tournament at the time of year when players are just getting prepared for competitive hockey. If the Canucks or any team really loses one of their players to this tournament, it will truly be a disaster. 

disaster, also read as, "fortuitous occurrence that will propel us to the high draft pick we should be targeting."

lel

First of all I am pretty sure the NHL and NHLPA get their usually split as far as revenues go, and that is part of the reason for high ticket prices so both parties are to blame when it comes to that - greed may have screwed this thing up from the start.   Not many people are going to fly in to watch this so TO is their target market.   Pretty sure most people their would rather save their hockey dollars to go to a couple Leafs games (if they can get tickets that is) than watch a best on best tournament with that includes two gimmick teams.   My in-laws live there, and I agree with the posts suggesting the only thing that matters there right now (and for the last two years at this time of year) is Blue Jays....I love hockey and won't be driving the three hours to watch a game...(ok maybe if they slash by 50% which is what they might have to do soon to fill the seats). 

As per the injuries no surprises on some of the players, they just need time to heal from last year.  Carter not too sure about, but Perry seemed pretty stoked to replace him - and if another half dozen injuries crop up on team Canada their team won't be the worse for wear.   Kreijci hurts though.  That's a big piece of their team.  

On thing I was wondering about is what anthem do they play when team North America comes out?  The Hockey Song? Big League may be more appropriate....lol.  OR  what about team Europe ?  What sort of FLAGS do they raise?  And that trophy HAHAHAHA - it looks like one of my great Aunts flower vases - just brutal. 

Glad this is a topic, this tournament was flawed when it came out, it could have been great though - that said I can't say I won't watch it...what else is their to watch at this time of year, and it is the best on best....

I will never forgive them if this is just a ploy to remove participation from the Olympics though.  Which I am pretty sure it is.  

Good post!

7 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

I checked ticketmaster and the prices were absurd. NHL made a really bad error here.

1. Turn the Canada Cup into a weird tournament by having these odd teams - so it takes alot of the national pride away and thus intensity - fans aren't stupid

2. Preseason / Summer is fine but people know that without number 1 (the intensity) its going to be hard for these guys to want to 'lay it on the line' - thus the entertainment value becomes questionable

3. They were charging "FACE" on ticketmaster for some Canada games 350-500 in the lower bowl! No one is going to pay that given 1 and 2

4. They put it in Toronto because they assumed Toronto fans are stupid enough (because Bay St buys up the lower bowl at Leafs games) that they'd do the same here and could charge as they please = money grab = again fans aren't stupid

Buttman didn't use his brain

Liked your post but not so sure about number 2. From what I have read from star athletes going to this tournament is that they are preparing for playoff/Olympic style games as part of their off-season regimen.  In other words they will be ready for it.  Crosby is one of those guys.  One thing is for sure, if this wasn't in TO the place would be empty given those ridiculous prices.  Saw some junior games with Canada against lesser teams in MTL last year and the place was so empty that they pulled us from the nose bleeds and put us in the fourth row so on TV it looked fuller...wouldn't be surprised if that is what is going to happen when Team Europe plays anyone but Canada.

Greed probably ruined this thing from the start, it may have been Bettman's idea to keep the NHLPA out of the Olympics next time (Tavares injury didn't help the cause to keep NHL players in the Olympics either) which was strategic for him - BUT his chances of that dwindles if this thing flops at the gate and on TV.  It has to be a complete smashing success for fans to not bring the pitchforks out when he announces the players won't be participating in the Olympics (but not to worry we have another tourney planned instead - and you can come for 350-500 if you like!).  Doesn't seem like fans are buying his kool-aid, lets hope our hockey addiction doesn't make us turn the TV on too much...you know once you do his plan may work. Good post!

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Liked your post but not so sure about number 2. From what I have read from star athletes going to this tournament is that they are preparing for playoff/Olympic style games as part of their off-season regimen.  In other words they will be ready for it.  Crosby is one of those guys.  One thing is for sure, if this wasn't in TO the place would be empty given those ridiculous prices.  Saw some junior games with Canada against lesser teams in MTL last year and the place was so empty that they pulled us from the nose bleeds and put us in the fourth row so on TV it looked fuller...wouldn't be surprised if that is what is going to happen when Team Europe plays anyone but Canada.

Greed probably ruined this thing from the start, it may have been Bettman's idea to keep the NHLPA out of the Olympics next time (Tavares injury didn't help the cause to keep NHL players in the Olympics either) which was strategic for him - BUT his chances of that dwindles if this thing flops at the gate and on TV.  It has to be a complete smashing success for fans to not bring the pitchforks out when he announces the players won't be participating in the Olympics (but not to worry we have another tourney planned instead - and you can come for 350-500 if you like!).  Doesn't seem like fans are buying his kool-aid, lets hope our hockey addiction doesn't make us turn the TV on too much...you know once you do his plan may work. Good post!

Fair enough, there is alot of pride for sure but I think fans are a bit concerned and will be until they see if the quality of play and intensity are there. I don't know your age but if you're old enough to remember the Canada Cup, that was something, same intensity as the olympics. With these new 'under 21/team europe' teams, it's going to be hard to create that same passion and it just doesn't mean as much. Say Canada wins gold vs the Under 21 - will anyone really care? Can we say we are the best? Maybe maybe not (ie what if team USA had their u21 on their team, as did we? Maybe we win, maybe USA wins, etc).....its too 'gimmicky'

As for the WJC, Montreal attendance was atrocious! This year they get the medal rounds and still had to offer 'split' packages for just those games because no one was buying. I said it last year (after that), they should have just played the entire tournament this year in Toronto, it was very well attended there. Even alot of the non Canadian games, and the fans were great (I was there for a week and went to a few).

On the Olympic issue (potentially not returning) I think the problems are related to player insurance and who was going to take responsibility for those costs. Obviously the "NHL team" insurance doesn't cover injuries at the olympics so new policies needed to be taken out for the tournament. As I think we can all imagine, its probably quite expensive to get player coverage for the tournament given policies need to cover player's pay if they get hurt for a significant amount of time or experience career threatening issues as a result of their play during that period.

My guess is the NHL didn't want to pay for it and the NHLPA didn't want to pay for it...so you get a stalemate. I don't think its a Bettman issue (more of a business debate with merit), although he is an annoying troll so let's blame him anyways! lol

Yes, this wasn't the greatest tournament idea. 1. All teams should be the same way build, if you want national teams then invite only national teams. 2. Every player needs a break from time to time. No one who played the sc final should have been told to play this world cup. 3. NHL Teams have their training camps now, they want all their players in house. 4. Let's talk about the players motivation and the risk to get injured before the season starts.

7 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

Fair enough, there is alot of pride for sure but I think fans are a bit concerned and will be until they see if the quality of play and intensity are there. I don't know your age but if you're old enough to remember the Canada Cup, that was something, same intensity as the olympics. With these new 'under 21/team europe' teams, it's going to be hard to create that same passion and it just doesn't mean as much. Say Canada wins gold vs the Under 21 - will anyone really care? Can we say we are the best? Maybe maybe not (ie what if team USA had their u21 on their team, as did we? Maybe we win, maybe USA wins, etc).....its too 'gimmicky'

As for the WJC, Montreal attendance was atrocious! This year they get the medal rounds and still had to offer 'split' packages for just those games because no one was buying. I said it last year (after that), they should have just played the entire tournament this year in Toronto, it was very well attended there. Even alot of the non Canadian games, and the fans were great (I was there for a week and went to a few).

On the Olympic issue (potentially not returning) I think the problems are related to player insurance and who was going to take responsibility for those costs. Obviously the "NHL team" insurance doesn't cover injuries at the olympics so new policies needed to be taken out for the tournament. As I think we can all imagine, its probably quite expensive to get player coverage for the tournament given policies need to cover player's pay if they get hurt for a significant amount of time or experience career threatening issues as a result of their play during that period.

My guess is the NHL didn't want to pay for it and the NHLPA didn't want to pay for it...so you get a stalemate. I don't think its a Bettman issue (more of a business debate with merit), although he is an annoying troll so let's blame him anyways! lol

Insurance is an ongoing issue but they managed the last four Olympics with it.  The biggest issue is probably going to  China - it's farther than they have yet to go, and the market isn't exactly like going anywhere else in the Northern hemisphere (althohg large..) Bettman has hinted as much that the travel and scheduling challenges are key reasons that no firm commitment has been made yet - and the introduction of the World Cup of Hockey is in his mind an equal best on best tourney - at least amount of games that are on the schedule offers a good chance to prove it is.

That said I was old enough to watch the Canada Cups, and many of my all-time favorite players helped create some of the best hockey moments in history.  Including the best team ever assembled in 1987.  

No matter what - this should prove to be interesting,  and at least give us something to watch...no matter how much flack I've read about in the media over the gimmick squads, the terrible trophy - who wants to win a super big vase anyhow? - the ridiculous prices - that this is all a money grab, or my personal feeling that this is part of Buttmans Olympic replacement strategy...I'll still turn the T.V. on when Canada plays, and to check out how good/awful Team Europe is and how much the young guns kicks ass (wouldn't be surprised if they are in the gold medal round)....

23 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Anyone remember the last worldcup? Right before the '05 lockout?

Didn't thhink so, the world/Canada/Whatever cup is DEAD

That was a very dark time for the game

What was that stupid slogan they had a few years back? History all over again? something just a hair better than "The Nome under the Dome" maybe they should bring the Nome back to shill some tickets for the WC

This is unfortunate. One of my favourite hockey memories was being at the world cup of hockey game at "gm place" in the mid 90s and watching canada go to war against Russia. Guys like Kasparitis were diving and blocking shots and I remember a bruhaha between him and Lindros I believe. That was an exciting game with lots of emotion and intensity. Pathetic now. This is what happens when money and guaranteed salary trumps  everything. 

Everyone should have expected players to drop out with "injuries".

When a player plays in the Olympics and win a medal, people will call them an Olympian. Try telling people they've won the World Cup of Hockey presented by NHL......they'll likely be "What?". Winning the trophy in this tournament probably has the same value as winning Timmy's Hockey by Tim Hortons.

This is just another glorified All Stars Game, but instead of Western vs Eastern, and captains picking their own players, they've broken it down to "national Teams" and stuck the word "WORLD CUP" to the tournament in effort to make it seem more prestige.

I may be aching for Hockey to start, but thankfully I'm not that desperate enough to have to lap up this BS the NHL is trying to sell.

(Travelling in Japan during pretty much the duration of the whole tournament is on probably helps too :ph34r:)

Archived