The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Women on luxury cruise caught with 23M in cocaine to Australia

Dazzle

I'm on board with what you're saying, but I don't think eliminating organized crime is as simple as legalizing drugs. These people are criminals, crooks- they're stupid, lazy, incompetent, crooked...they're a whole laundry list of adjectives I could use. Bottom line is legalizing drugs won't stop them. They'll find another way to make money while being a total detriment to society.

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm on board with what you're saying, but I don't think eliminating organized crime is as simple as legalizing drugs. These people are criminals, crooks- they're stupid, lazy, incompetent, crooked...they're a whole laundry list of adjectives I could use. Bottom line is legalizing drugs won't drop them. They'll find another way to make money while being a total detriment to society.

Sounds like a resume for politics.

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm on board with what you're saying, but I don't think eliminating organized crime is as simple as legalizing drugs. These people are criminals, crooks- they're stupid, lazy, incompetent, crooked...they're a whole laundry list of adjectives I could use. Bottom line is legalizing drugs won't drop them. They'll find another way to make money while being a total detriment to society.

It would be a shock to the markets. Production of drugs are likely to cease because it is no longer exclusive commodity. It's not a perfect idea because drugs would then be readily accessible to anyone, but you could argue that you have greater control with regards to taxation.

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It would be a shock to the markets. Production of drugs are likely to cease because it is no longer exclusive commodity. It's not a perfect idea because drugs would then be readily accessible to anyone, but you could argue that you have greater control with regards to taxation.

Yeah there's definitely benefit to legalizing, I agree. You'll never totally eliminate drugs from the world, so they may as well legalize and tax them to put money towards other social programs. I don't think drug use (speaking of hard drugs) would really become more widespread, not hugely at least. For me personally, I don't not do heroin because it's illegal- I don't do heroin because I know it'll ruin my life. The legality doesn't make any difference to me (disclaimer: I'm a law abiding citizen). 

What I meant by my original post is I think the people who claim legalizing drugs will eliminate organized crime are wrong. The gangsters will just find another shady way to make money. 

Edit: I should add- the legality of it DOES matter to me, but regardless of heroin/Coke/meth/etc being legal or not I wouldn't be doing them.

21 hours ago, apollo said:

They were probably set up... As posters have mentioned above, you don't just get 23m worth of blow and smuggle it like a rookie. 

I bet they're innocent. Free them. They are good Canadians. Jail some Americans instead. 

Do you even think before you post? Maybe you should try it once and a while......

On 2016-09-05 at 0:31 AM, Lancaster said:

Something doesn't quite stack up.....

Even if they are incompetent... how can they afford to get $23 million worth of coke?  Even if they are just mules.... who is dumb enough to let some noobs carry $23 million worth of cocaine for them?

Probably some (dumb) kids being taken advantage off for easy cash.... or unwitting accomplices...

These value estimates are done at street prices. Each step in the supply chain usually takes a 50% cut. The owner of this coke probably had 1/3rd of that to lose. Which is still big but not crazy.

21 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Watching Narcos season 2 right now.

But yeah, they clearly needed a better plan to get it into Aus and were already up the creek if they'd been being tracked by authorities before then. And while you don't stumble upon that much coke and devise an expensive plan to smuggle it on your own, the kind of backers that would require would also probably have given them some better instructions than just "pack it in a suitcase with some dirty towels over top" or else risk losing a lot by having it picked up so easily.

I disagree.

I think they somehow , it their quest to be cool, empowered independent women, made "friends" in the drug business. They probably let it be known that they want to make some cash and go on an adventure.  They told the guys about their 5 star cruise. The guys also obviously picked up on their upper class appearance.

For some reason, the suppliers just calculated that they might as well go big or go home. There is *always* a small chance that things will work out. With the front that these women put on, there is always a chance that the authorities will just smile and move the women along. Without suspecting  a thing. But I think the suppliers must have been equally ignorant about Australia specifically. Because the odds are just so low. That probably works from time to time in ports around Europe. But not Aus. Then again, with these high "quality" mules, you might as well get the most bang for your buck. That is Aus.

19 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It illustrates the point that as long as cocaine is illegal, prices for it will be fairly stable. Criminals are making money through cocaine (much like how alcohol was a huge cash cow during prohibition.)

Stoll is a small piece of the puzzle, admittedly, but he is still nonetheless supporting a criminal enterprise.

The 23M dollars in this case (which has likely nothing to do with Stoll) wouldn't have been taxed, had it not been discovered. That's 23M that could have gone somewhere useful in society. Instead, someone very wealthy will remain very wealthy. 23M is a small number when it comes to drugs. Billions are made every year - in how many countries?!

There's a bigger picture to this that people on these forums are shockingly unable to see. If laws can be changed so that it can crash the drug markets, that might be a solution. As it stands, people who don't deserve the money are laundering their dirty money for YOUR clean, hard-working, legal money. Some legitimate businesses are paid for using drug money. Otherwise, they would have a hard time explaining how they received all that money.

People are still OKAY with Stoll contributing to this? One small problem leads to another.

Valuing the coke at 23 million is like valuing a 20,000 bird chicken farm by taking the value of a KFC drum stick and multiplying it by 20,000.

The only thing police do is keep prices up by destroying supply.

42 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

They will get the white woman treatment. Probably 2 years in jail where men usually get 50.

lmao. But isn't this the biggest cocaine scandal in Australia's history or something like that? I'm thinking this time it might actually be equal in terms of punishment. But those two girls just ruined their already "perfect" lives as seen by the photos and their instagram page and how fit they are as well as being attractive. There's a cliche about these kinds of people but I forgot. Looks can be deceiving?

48 minutes ago, Odd. said:

lmao. But isn't this the biggest cocaine scandal in Australia's history or something like that? I'm thinking this time it might actually be equal in terms of punishment. But those two girls just ruined their already "perfect" lives as seen by the photos and their instagram page and how fit they are as well as being attractive. There's a cliche about these kinds of people but I forgot. Looks can be deceiving?

There were 5 Canadians from Abbotsford who were caught smuggling 130 million worth in 2006 through computer monitors. A good comparison when these girls get sentanced.

Justice Anthe Philippides ordered he serve 10 years’ jail without parole and took into account the seven years he has already spent in custody.

Meanwhile, Nerbas’ accomplice Dennis Paul Paddison had his sentence trimmed in the same court after his original sentence of 22 years was set aside following a successful appeal.

Paddison, 36, was convicted at retrial last year of importing commercial quantities of border controlled drugs and attempting to possess commercial quantities of border controlled drugs.

He was sentenced to 19 years’ prison including twelve-and-a-half years without parole after the court heard his level of criminality was greater than Nerbas’.

Lol alright since there are so many amateurs here on the subject.

1) if you're a cartel you put 95 kilos with people you can afford to have arrested and have someone "tip" off the authorities. While they do that coke bust on the left, 9 other people with equal amounts go right getting past customs elsewhere. This keeps authorities that are getting paid satisfied as public pressure eases off. 

2) 23 million???? Yea if you're dealing to complete moron. It's 3-3.5 million raw value. Of course street value is going to be higher...but that little amount of coke does not equal 23 million. Because that works out to $250/flap.  To me that seems around 8-ball price. I couldn't see the street value being much more than 12-16 mill unless you're really stepping on it. This seems like they're trying to make this more grand than it really is, directed at those with no clue.

21 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It illustrates the point that as long as cocaine is illegal, prices for it will be fairly stable. Criminals are making money through cocaine (much like how alcohol was a huge cash cow during prohibition.)

Stoll is a small piece of the puzzle, admittedly, but he is still nonetheless supporting a criminal enterprise.

The 23M dollars in this case (which has likely nothing to do with Stoll) wouldn't have been taxed, had it not been discovered. That's 23M that could have gone somewhere useful in society. Instead, someone very wealthy will remain very wealthy. 23M is a small number when it comes to drugs. Billions are made every year - in how many countries?!

There's a bigger picture to this that people on these forums are shockingly unable to see. If laws can be changed so that it can crash the drug markets, that might be a solution. As it stands, people who don't deserve the money are laundering their dirty money for YOUR clean, hard-working, legal money. Some legitimate businesses are paid for using drug money. Otherwise, they would have a hard time explaining how they received all that money.

People are still OKAY with Stoll contributing to this? One small problem leads to another.

Guess what one of the preferred businesses are to launder for the successful  folks at these types of things?  Thats right you guessed it... Pro sports teams ;)

23 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

2) 23 million???? Yea if you're dealing to complete dumbf***s. It's 3-3.5 million raw value. Of course street value is going to be higher...but that little amount of coke does not equal 23 million. Because that works out to $250/flap.  To me that seems around 8-ball price. I couldn't see the street value being much more than 12-16 mill unless you're really stepping on it. This seems like they're trying to make this more grand than it really is, directed at those with no clue.

A point that I addressed clearly already if you actually read the thread.

And your first point is tin foil hat material. Yes that does happen but usually not in 1st world export/imports.

And even if it was the case,  these girls were probably the ones intended to get past.

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

1) if you're a cartel you put 95 kilos with people you can afford to have arrested and have someone "tip" off the authorities. While they do that coke bust on the left, 9 other people with equal amounts go right getting past customs elsewhere. This keeps authorities that are getting paid satisfied as public pressure eases off. 

2) 23 million???? Yea if you're dealing to complete dumbf***s. It's 3-3.5 million raw value. Of course street value is going to be higher...but that little amount of coke does not equal 23 million. Because that works out to $250/flap.  To me that seems around 8-ball price. I couldn't see the street value being much more than 12-16 mill unless you're really stepping on it. This seems like they're trying to make this more grand than it really is, directed at those with no clue.

Are you talking $23 million in AUSTRALIAN currency, in American currency or in Canadian currency?????

$23 million Australian $$$$ works out closer to your total at $17,662,735 million US.

Also:

Australia has among the highest prices in the world for cocaine, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canadians-charged-australia-cocaine-1.3739299

Archived