The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Madden 17

NucksPatsFan

The last Madden game I bought was the 25th anniversary Madden 25 and it sucked and wasn't much different from the years previous. So I told myself I wouldn't buy another Madden game for a few years. 

3 years later and I grabbed Madden 17 primarily because Gronk was on the cover. Now, I don't know what Madden 16 is like, but Madden 17 is actually surprising me with how good it is. In between plays/post game animations were given a lot of attention this year, the physics of the game are a lot better, graphics look incredible. A lot more realistic when it comes to game play and franchise mode is very in depth.

I grabbed it for PS4 and definitely don't regret it.

It has the best scouting drafting and trading out of any sports game atm.  The scouting of players seems realistic and how you can find gems in any round, but you won't have enough time to look at everyone.  Personally I found a beast of a RB in the 7th round.  I love how you can click on any player, put them on the trading block and in 1 week you'll get multiple offers by teams that are neatly displayed so you simply just scroll through what offer appeases you the most and accept it.  And at the draft it makes it so easy to trade down(which is an awesome strategy) and your draft board makes it easy to see what players to select.  Plus you get updates(if you pay attention to them) like Heisman candidates blowing their knees throughout the season or college players getting kicked off their teams. 

I love how the games sim while you play just like real sundays in the NFL.   Rushing is improved and they went from the worst commentary to one of the best that gets updated weekly.  Seriously like every player gets mentioned now, some with their college backstory like Coleman, Treadwell, etc. This is by far the best Madden game ever.

38 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It has the best scouting drafting and trading out of any sports game atm.  The scouting of players seems realistic and how you can find gems in any round, but you won't have enough time to look at everyone.  Personally I found a beast of a RB in the 7th round.  I love how you can click on any player, put them on the trading block and in 1 week you'll get multiple offers by teams that are neatly displayed so you simply just scroll through what offer appeases you the most and accept it.  And at the draft it makes it so easy to trade down(which is an awesome strategy) and your draft board makes it easy to see what players to select.  Plus you get updates(if you pay attention to them) like Heisman candidates blowing their knees throughout the season or college players getting kicked off their teams. 

I love how the games sim while you play just like real sundays in the NFL.   Rushing is improved and they went from the worst commentary to one of the best that gets updated weekly.  Seriously like every player gets mentioned now, some with their college backstory like Coleman, Treadwell, etc. This is by far the best Madden game ever.

The commentary definitely surprised me. No more memorizing the 9 cliched lines they run through every quarter and every game.

22 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

The very opening to the game where you play as the Rams was just fantastic.

It was, and I shouldn't be surprised that the league has the Rams all over the game. My only beef so far is how some of the formations load on offense. Feels like I'm wasting time waiting for some of them to load. There's probably a setting for it. 

I haven't played a Madden game for years, the practice tutorials are quite in depth and a great refresher. The Gauntlet is a good touch as well. Can't wait to start a franchise.

All in all, no regrets about the purchase so far.

I have Madden 16 and I love it. I think the card thing is dumb and a EA money grab. I only play franchise mode. I hear the new commentary is awesome and theirs now a practice squad.

all in all is it worth the price, I'm getting tired of the old commentary and I mute the music cause I'm sick of it...I DONT care if your "face is numb when I'm with you". That song Sucks...as does the rest of the music.

The running game is an absolute mess.  

The AI constantly spins and jukes right into linemen when they have room to run straight.  I have a franchise as the QB of the Texans, and I basically just abandon the run game in the games I play.  Miller just plods for like 1-2 YPC every single game.

At times the RB has done this even when I am controlling him when I'm playing my Owner mode franchise.  I see a hole, and as I get to it I start to make a quick cut to the left, but before I break through he spins right and goes right back into the trenches.  It's infuriating.

On 9/10/2016 at 2:31 PM, Jägermeister said:

The AI constantly spins and jukes right into linemen when they have room to run straight.  I have a franchise as the QB of the Texans, and I basically just abandon the run game in the games I play.  Miller just plods for like 1-2 YPC every single game.

At times the RB has done this even when I am controlling him when I'm playing my Owner mode franchise.  I see a hole, and as I get to it I start to make a quick cut to the left, but before I break through he spins right and goes right back into the trenches.  It's infuriating.

Weird, my game doesn't do that at all :S

On 9/10/2016 at 2:31 PM, Jägermeister said:

You should check your settings, Visual Feedback I think, and you can turn that crap off. Don't know if thta will remove AI fails, but he won't juke himself into a tackle under your control anymore. 

edit: unless you're in All-Pro or All-Madden where it's auto-off

14 minutes ago, Green Building said:

You should check your settings, Visual Feedback I think, and you can turn that crap off. Don't know if thta will remove AI fails, but he won't juke himself into a tackle under your control anymore. 

edit: unless you're in All-Pro or All-Madden where it's auto-off

I was thinking maybe it was a setting that I needed to take off.  Thanks.

Still no excuse for how bad the AI is though.

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 2:31 PM, Jägermeister said:

I disagree, I think the running game is as good as it's ever been.  In fact on my QB I get frustrated on how my RB steals all my potential TD passes when he breaks for 40+ runs.  I also made a powerback and it's so much fun, especially doing HB screen passes.  When you pick a running play and the side you're going to run is red you can hit the right analog stick to the opposite direction and call a quick audible.  If both sides are red then audible a pass play, if both sides are green then you should be money.

First thing I do in any Madden game is adjust the Player Speed Threshold to 0 so that speedy players will actually pull away from defenders otherwise you'll have DL catching up to RB/WR.  You can also up the fatigue to allow for more subs. creating mismatches for bigger plays but that goes both ways and may work against you.

The best team to play a QB in this game has to be the Cardinals.  They run a vertical offense so they'll pass lots when you sim.  Plus they also have 3 WR over 85(Fitzgerald, Brown, Floyd) and a decent O-line. 

This is what I did for one of my franchises:

• Started in Preseason, disabled Team relocation
  • Became owner of Arizona and fired Bruce Ariens
  • Became owner of Oakland and fired their staff, hired Ariens and the best scout & trainer
  • Built a new Stadium(let the computer pick the stadium because you can't select one until midseason)
  • Goto My Rosters and added everyone on the trade block that was over 26yo and 80+ overall
  • Did one manual trade: D. Carr + 2nd to Cleveland for Corey Coleman(the best WR from this years draft)
  • Traded everyone else for picks until I had the max. allowable picks lol
  • Retired as owner and started a QB

Now if anyone wants some tips on drafting I can share my knowledge. 

The auto juke thing on pro difficulty is stupid, especially since it is in love with spinning to prevent first downs. It should only be AI controlled on rookie difficulty. 

As someone who hasn't owned a Madden game in a long time, it really does take a long time to get used to, and I'd prefer to do that on a moderate difficulty.

I played it at a friend's house and the stupid auto run controls are preventing me from buying it.

I agree with @Tre Mac, I'm loving the running game, and how quick it is to reverse the plays or shift the O-line pre-snap for different protection. Turned off the auto-runoff of 10 or whatever seconds to give myself more time for adjustments at the line.

edit: and the skills trainer has improved my paltry knowledge of pass play terminology, and how to use them against which D formation. 

Gauntlet Level : 19

Like I mentioned in another post I haven't bought a Madden game for a long time, but this one is very good. 

@c00kies Again, pretty sure that auto control can be disabled. For some reason the factory pre-set differs from game to game, mine came disabled so I haven't experienced what you guys have, but if that's the only thing preventing you from picking up the game then know there's a workaround.

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

I agree with @Tre Mac, I'm loving the running game, and how quick it is to reverse the plays or shift the O-line pre-snap for different protection. Turned off the auto-runoff of 10 or whatever seconds to give myself more time for adjustments at the line.

edit: and the skills trainer has improved my paltry knowledge of pass play terminology, and how to use them against which D formation. 

Gauntlet Level : 19

Like I mentioned in another post I haven't bought a Madden game for a long time, but this one is very good. 

@c00kies Again, pretty sure that auto control can be disabled. For some reason the factory pre-set differs from game to game, mine came disabled so I haven't experienced what you guys have, but if that's the only thing preventing you from picking up the game then know there's a workaround.

Hmm, I'll let my buddy know about this, thanks.

Archived