The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

torts comments are bang on

linden17

So by now youve all heard torts comments about if any of team usa's players choose to sit during the anthem than they will sit during the game. First off I dont think they play the anthems until the end of the game but whatever. i could be wrong about that. But when you really think about it why would any player sit during the anthem during this tournament when they are representing their country and playing for it? To me there is no way to argue what he said he would do if it came to it. Why even put on the jersey in the first place. Its a stupid question by the media in the first place. Am i wrong?

41 minutes ago, linden17 said:

So by now youve all heard torts comments about if any of team usa's players choose to sit during the anthem than they will sit during the game. First off I dont think they play the anthems until the end of the game but whatever. i could be wrong about that. But when you really think about it why would any player sit during the anthem during this tournament when they are representing their country and playing for it? To me there is no way to argue what he said he would do if it came to it. Why even put on the jersey in the first place. Its a stupid question by the media in the first place. Am i wrong?

Not really, when it's a current events topic right now. Obviously it's possible, and Torts can sit players all he wants, but how much does that really mean anything when all the people freaking out at home look like this during the anthems:

homer-simpson-tv-sports-pennant.jpg

Either that or they don't even watch them as they fast forward or are still in the kitchen getting a drink/food.

But really, with the other threads on both the World Cup and Kaepernick sitting, not sure you've added a lot with this thread.

2 hours ago, linden17 said:

This tournament is stupid and lame.  Players don't even want to be in it.  

American's make every little thing patriotic and have a "us against the world" mentality.  

15 minutes ago, JV77 said:

American's make every little thing patriotic and have a "us against the world" mentality.  

Any professional athlete should be damned proud to represent their country in any international tournament. When you put on that sweater with your country's name on it, you better be damn happy that you're representing your country and not disrespect it by not standing during the anthems.

19 minutes ago, JV77 said:

You're right but you can't fault Torts for showing respect to the nation's anthem, and at a world tournament.  

6 hours ago, linden17 said:

I would agree with this. I actually support Kapernick and find the vitriol being spewed by NFL owners to just be another form of their colonial past. One only has to look at how the NFL treats its players (who by the way are a majority african american) in their dealings with concussions, lack of guaranteed contracts for the most physically violent and physically damaging sports there is, to see the similarities (basically making money off their backs and their personal physical damage (pretty close to slavery in my view and not talking about the big contracts, talking about the majority of players who last 2-3 years and walk away with little other than permanent brain damage and other injuries) - and now this.

I am not African American but I can see from the racial tension in the USA there is an extreme racial issue. Many of us thought we were in a post racial society and that those complaining needed to 'move on'. Well with the rise of Trump, anger towards other minorities, african americans and their issues with the police and incarceration relative to their population, clearly we haven't moved far beyond the 60's (it just looks different). For that I applaud Kapernick for holding to his views and values. It actually made me sick to hear other NFL players not 'getting it'.

That being said, on this topic I would agree, this is a "national tournament" so if you have an issue with your Nation and its policies, don't put on their jersey. Heck you're pretty much wearing a flag.

As for Tort's he was right about the Nucks and what they needed, but he was an idiot, and still it from his commentary. Always needs to stir up crap that guy.

51 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The tournament is stupid.  What will the U-23 team stand for?  What will Team Europe stand for?

It will still be fun to watch though. The u23 team is going to be crazy exciting. Good way to get warmed up for the hockey season. I agree though, keep it a national tournament or don't do it at all. Some non hockey playing person in Marketing came up with this idea and probably blows Buttman on the side so he agreed.

3 hours ago, JV77 said:

Then why did the Sedins skipped the World Championship and show up for the World Cup.

And why does our goalie at the World Championship were Pickard and Talbot and now it's Price, Crawford and Holtby.

Superstars don't have problems skipping the World Championship...pretty sure they wouldn't mind skipping the World Cup if they really didn't want to be there.

6 hours ago, linden17 said:

Doesnt make any sense to me to play for your countries national team and wear the American colours and not stand for the national anthem...why are you there...to push your agenda...not saying either side is right or wrong but in this particular case it would be hard to understand.

Archived