The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Out of the Box Coaching and GM Strategies

nuck-lifer

First time poster here.

I have been a huge fan for many years and following CDC for a number of years.

Would like to say that the true blue and green bleeding Canucks fans are right here on CDC. It’s pretty cool that people from the age of 14-80 can have a common goal (WIN IT ALL) and a similar interest like this.

I was thinking if you were Willie and /or JB, and if you could make any decision for the team to win games, what strategy or game plan would you try out.

Keeping in mind that Trevor couldn’t fire you, you don’t care what the fans think, and no idea is a bad idea.

Kind of like Money Ball where Brad Pitt just went ahead and thought outside of the box to win.

It could be a certain line combination that is out of the norm, what to do about their 3 on 3 problems,  or benching a player that has never been benched etc..

One thought I had was utilizing the power play differently.

Why does Willie for the most part throw the Sedin’s out at the beginning of the PP against the other team’s best and freshest PK unit.

I think when Willie has last change he should put out the 2nd PP unit against the other team’s top PK unit every time. Than either on the fly or after a minute, put our top PP unit out against a tired #1 PK or their #2 PK unit.

Better chance over all to generate offense in my opinion. I would also like to see them put Tryamkin in as a net presence on the first unit just like Boston does with Chara.

That’s my 2 bits worth.:)

Anyway with the off season draaaaaaaging on here and impatiently wait for the pre-season to start, what strategy would you try with the Canucks this year? Maybe Willie's listening!:)

PP1: Henrik - Daniel - Eriksson

Larsen - Tryamkin

PP2: Baertschi - Sutter - Horvat

Edler - Hansen

I mainly want Hansen on the PP for his hard slapshot. 

Trade Dorsett and a 3rd to Chicago for their 1st (because it's probably going to be in the mid-twenties anyway, I don't even know if they would take this deal).

In all honesty, I'd just rather leave the moves to Willie D and TL/JB. I trust their actions and I believe what they're doing will move this team forward. Not so sure if I could really do the same ^_^

The thing is the Canucks tried the unconventional approach with Gillis. Sleep Doctors, redesigned change rooms, etc. Now the team already had a core of players prior to his arrival. But teams like Chicago, Detroit, LA, Pittsburgh chose more traditional methods and won cups. If Arizona or Florida wins a cup based on it's analytics based GM's and finds tons of off the board picks and is successful, the NHL is a copy cat league, you'll see a change then.

Moneyball is very different, because Baseball lives and dies by it's stats. Baseball also doesn't have a salary cap, so GM's are forced to find other solutions to compete against high payroll teams like the Yankees, Red Sox and so on. The fact the Kansas City Royals can win a World Series with a middle of the pack payroll is great. But this year, they are struggling to even a wild card spot. 

I think Benning is doing the best of both worlds. Trying to rebuild the team around a younger core, and improving all areas of the team. He's made some mis-steps, and perhaps even mistakes. But no GM is perfect. The direction he's heading for is what I like to see. 

how about the goalie's, all of them learn how to handle the puck, shoot, pass like hextall or martin brodeur did. there's your 6th man adding to the transition out of "our" end.  loungo was the worst ! , currently our goalie's are a little better then we've had in the past . would love to see an aggressive  goalie.

I'd like to see an acknowledgment from the league that travel is a factor and should consider some form of handicapping. I have a Scottish mentality is I like value for money and the number of times Vcr has to play back to back and long travel schedules makes it almost impossible.  It's going to be some sort of freak to win a Cup in Vcr asit stands today.

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'd like to see an acknowledgment from the league that travel is a factor and should consider some form of handicapping. I have a Scottish mentality is I like value for money and the number of times Vcr has to play back to back and long travel schedules makes it almost impossible.  It's going to be some sort of freak to win a Cup in Vcr asit stands today.

Is Vancouver the only team that has the travel obstacle? Surely all of the western teams have the same struggle? Obviously the eastern teams don't travel as much within their division but they also must have some pretty long trips with back to backs when they go west. I have not done any research just throwing it out there.

Is Vancouver the only team that has the travel obstacle? Surely all of the western teams have the same struggle? Obviously the eastern teams don't travel as much within their division but they also must have some pretty long trips with back to backs when they go west. I have not done any research just throwing it out there.

All very true. I think you'd have to reach average travel and then teams trvelling more than say 10,000 KM over the average get 2 extra points, over 15, over 20 etc. But frankly I'm real tired of watching teams dead on their feet providing little entertainment, players being injured. The stats show second game in 2 nights is little short of a farce and time changes have a large effect. You look at teams like Philly who have maybe 10 games a year when they're actually away from their home beds, think of NYR, Isles, Devils and yes Philly/Washington. Players don't like it ( there's a shock ) and many don't want to play in the Western teams. Even teams such as LA, Ducks have a leg up on other Western teams. It's sickening to see Vcr come home from a road trip and the visitors have been waiting for them for a couple of days

3 hours ago, MNA said:

Larsen - Tryamkin

Edler - Hansen

Trade Dorsett and a 3rd to Chicago for their 1st (because it's probably going to be in the mid-twenties anyway, I don't even know if they would take this deal).

In all honesty, I'd just rather leave the moves to Willie D and TL/JB. I trust their actions and I believe what they're doing will move this team forward. Not so sure if I could really do the same ^_^

Sbisa has a similar shot to Hansen, no?

Also, no way does Chicago take on 2M+ for a depth forward and give up a first rounder in the process.

3 hours ago, MNA said:

Larsen - Tryamkin

Edler - Hansen

I find your lack of Hutton disturbing :P

3 hours ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Goalie pulled at all times.  5 players lie on top of each other in front of net, sixth player tries to pick a fight with the other teams goalie. 

I'm with Rocky. 

Spend almost to the cap on the biggest superstar offensive players you can, then sign a bunch of plugs on defence at league minimum.
Have the goalie positioned about 4' out of the net and then stand up 3-4 "D" side by side covering the whole net.

They could just stand there and chat or whatever and let pucks hit them, if the shot manages to get past the goalie.

Probably every game would be a shutout. Every goal against would be a total fluke.

It might just be that kind of thinking that is required to bring a Championship to Vancouver. We should have won one by accident by now for crying out loud...

2 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

A powerplay unit of: 

Tryamkin (in front)

Sedin               sedin

Larssen            erikkson

Out of curiosity, which Sedin is Sedin, and which is sedin? Henrik plays on the right on the PP, so are you saying that he is sedin? Our captain is Sedin with a little s? BLASPHEMY!!! I think we need to excommunicate Captain Horvat from the Church of the Vancouver Canucks. He's already starting a rebellion to try and hand over the C with his mind tricks! (gollum voice) "Must have the precious.. MUST STEAL THE PRECIOUS! Take precious and give precious! Make Horvat captain!"

I see what you are doing!!!

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

Just for your curiosities:

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2015/7/15/8969859/nhl-travel-miles-the-2015-2016-super-schedule-released

Vancouver was 5th in total travel last year, numbers are miles travelled:

San Jose      50,362

Edmonton     49,401

Dallas            48,419

Calgary          48,341

Vancouver     45,711

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

All very true. I think you'd have to reach average travel and then teams trvelling more than say 10,000 KM over the average get 2 extra points, over 15, over 20 etc. But frankly I'm real tired of watching teams dead on their feet providing little entertainment, players being injured. The stats show second game in 2 nights is little short of a farce and time changes have a large effect. You look at teams like Philly who have maybe 10 games a year when they're actually away from their home beds, think of NYR, Isles, Devils and yes Philly/Washington. Players don't like it ( there's a shock ) and many don't want to play in the Western teams. Even teams such as LA, Ducks have a leg up on other Western teams. It's sickening to see Vcr come home from a road trip and the visitors have been waiting for them for a couple of days

Anaheim and LA were behind Vancouver at 6th and 7th for overall travel last season so your point isn't entirely justified. I do tire of watching players look fatigued and injured, but at some point you have to blame the skill of the team and the system being played for the way the on ice product looks.

First off, I'd like to say that anyone proposing free points because of travel is out of their mind. That would be the biggest joke ever.

If I could do anything at all, I'd pick a random guy that we don't need very much and play him with the Sedins for 15 games. Immediately following that stint, trade him. Use the Sedins to bring up player value and trade them for picks!

Archived