The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The BC Real Estate Discussion Thread

Harvey Spector

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just gets worse for BC realtors....

https://www.abbynews.com/business/b-c-realtors-must-now-disclose-commission-cant-represent-buyer-and-seller/

As of Friday, Realtors and real estate agents are no longer allowed to represent both the buyer and seller in a transaction – a practice also known as “dual agency.”

This is the best thing for consumers.  I remember my wife and I got screwed out of a house because the selling realtor wouldn't answer our realtor for 3 days and then finally gets ahold of us and says "oh sorry didn't see your messages we just accepted an offer this morning" oh many was my realtor pissed because he hated that shady crap.  He did some digging and found out he ended up being both the buying and selling.  Was a real piss off, was a nice place in Mission we would have loved to have lived but oh well, ended up with something as nice or better in the end for a bit more.

I just figure realtors will go find their buddy, give them one of the clients and then get a cut of the sales from the second realtor.  Concept is great but I am sure guys will find a way around it. 

I know many realtors who wouldn't push for trying to be dual realtors themselves but if it happened then it would just happen.  Its the dicks who have buyers, look around, get a seller and just match them up instantly to make the extra quick buck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Violator said:

Now that i essentially own a house close to the lower mainland i hope the relax the rules on foreign ownership.

Don't see it happening...

New Zealand just banned foreign ownership for absent owners....

http://www.france24.com/en/20180817-new-zealand-curbs-foreign-property-ownership

2 hours ago, Violator said:

Now that i essentially own a house close to the lower mainland i hope the relax the rules on foreign ownership.

No... ha, now you get to be like some BCers

Surrender your land and Home... to be given back to your local Indian band.

Lets settle our treaties!

This stuff happens. 

What i’d love to see is for the gutless politicians to give up land near Vancouver somewhere, not say the Chilcotin, to settle treaty and land issues for aboriginal title. 

Ranchers i I knew had to do this, way out in the bush, far from Robson Street.

I’d love to see the lawyers and politicians start settling treaty issues down there, FIRST, or in Surrey or Richmond, instead of out with small-time, part-time ranchers in the bush.  

17 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

No... ha, now you get to be like some BCers

Surrender your land and Home... to be given back to your local Indian band.

Lets settle our treaties!

This stuff happens. 

What i’d love to see is for the gutless politicians to give up land near Vancouver somewhere, not say the Chilcotin, to settle treaty and land issues for aboriginal title. 

Ranchers i I knew had to do this, way out in the bush, far from Robson Street.

I’d love to see the lawyers and politicians start settling treaty issues down there, FIRST, or in Surrey or Richmond, instead of out with small-time, part-time ranchers in the bush.  

Surrender north vancouver 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Saw what?

part of a real estate cycle that has existed forever?

Yes.

There were still many people stating that prices were not going to go down, and that the economy was benefiting from the ever increasing prices. 

19 minutes ago, taxi said:

Yes.

There were still many people stating that prices were not going to go down, and that the economy was benefiting from the ever increasing prices. 

Agree.  I think the two of us have exchanged some posts on this topic.

imo, prices will, may, and in some areas have dropped.  But the benchmark prices, I feel, will remain high(er) - and still out of reach for most. And that includes rental rates.

Edited by riffraff

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Agree.  I think the two of us have exchanged some posts on this topic.

imo, prices will, may, and in some areas have dropped.  But the benchmark prices, I feel, will remain high(er) - and still out of reach for most. And that includes rental rates.

If you look at current sales, the lower end is still decent, but anything over 1.2 million is non-existent. I think things will remain expensive on the lower end, but we'll begin to see a market where higher earners and people with established equity will actually be able to work their up into a detached property. In other words, the market will change so that it becomes somewhat tied to the local economy. 

• 3 weeks later...

I do wonder what the Libs will be saying about this motion.  There was a LOT of talk about their shutting down German and his invesitgative unit in to fraud and money laundering and the reasons why.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/province-appoints-task-force-to-get-dirty-money-out-of-real-estate-1.4841085

I think we can start expecting a sell off soon if they apply the right laws and pressure