The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] FLYERS CROWNED STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS IN NHL 17 SIMULATION

Tavrohorvat53

Steve Mason stands on his head — and scores a goal — as the Flyers win the Stanley Cup in a full-season simulation, while Roberto Luongo turns back the clock and Patrick Kane continues to dominate league scoring.

Philadelphia Flyers fans can get ready for a parade this summer — or at least according that’s what EA Sports’ NHL 17 is predicting.

The newest instalment of NHL 17 is set to be released Tuesday, but EA’s Early Access program has made the game playable days ahead of its formal release. And in a full-season simulation, the Flyers, led by outstanding goaltending by Steve Mason, have themselves in line for the third Stanley Cup in franchise history.

In order to get the results of 2016-17 campaign via NHL 17, a season was set up and simulated all the way through. Some of the happenings of the campaign may be a bit farfetched, but no video game — even one that prides itself on simulation-style gameplay as much as the EA titles do — is going to be able to accurately predict the future. Here’s a look at how the 2016-17 simmed season standings shook out:

The Hockey News NHL 17

One important note on the standings to keep in mind: These are the rosters right out of the box, and trades were turned off to avoid any GM trading oddities. For instance, we wouldn’t have wanted to see Sidney Crosby traded to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for Connor McDavid, so the only way to ensure that was by nixing the trading.

So, yes, with that in mind, EA’s NHL 17 does project the up-and-coming Florida Panthers to have a huge season thanks to their off-season wheeling and dealing. Most surprisingly, though, is that the season is centred not around the young talent but on goaltender Roberto Luongo. Even with James Reimer as his backup, Luongo takes over and dominates the regular season.

In the post-season, though, the Panthers suffer the curse of the Presidents’ Trophy. Take a look at the playoff bracket, which features an Eastern Conference final matchup that we can only hope comes to pass:

The Hockey News NHL 17 playoffs

For his play in the post-season, Steve Mason takes home the Conn Smythe Trophy after leading the Flyers to not one, not two but three Game 7 victories. It’s not shocking, though, considering Mason was among the league’s best goaltenders in the regular season. (He also somehow managed to score a goal during the campaign.)

When it came to end-of-season awards, the dominating forces were Luongo and Patrick Kane, though Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens fans will be encouraged by two of our NHL 17 simulations projected winners.

Kane led the league for a second-straight season in the simulation, potting 49 goals and 97 points. He captured the Art Ross, Hart, Lady Byng and Ted Lindsay Award. The next closest scorer to Kane was Corey Perry, who netted 48 goals and 93 points, but that wasn’t enough to earn him any hardware.

The other offensive awards went to Alex Ovechkin and Patrice Bergeron, who captured the Rocket Richard and Selke Trophies, respectively.

For goaltending, Luongo captured the Vezina and Jennings Trophies. He posted a 46-18-5 record with a .926 save percentage, 2.11 goals-against average and five shutouts. His 146 goals against were far and away the best of any starting netminder.

Finally, it was a pair of players from Canadian teams who took home the Calder and Norris Trophies. William Nylander’s rookie campaign was enough to capture top rookie honors, while Shea Weber, in his first season in Montreal, was named the league’s best defender and did his best to make the Canadiens faithful forget about P.K. Subban.

The likelihood the results from a full-season simulation in NHL 17 come to fruition are slim. That said, if the latest instalment in EA’s NHL series has any Nostradamus like qualities, get ready for a fun campaign Flyers fans.

- Vancouver gets 76 points in the regular season missing the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row. I really don't think that the gap could be as large as 13 points near the end of the season. This team is way deeper/younger/more skilled/faster/tougher/more experienced than last years team or the team from a couple of years ago. I expect us to be in the playoff hunt right till the end.

- Roberto Luongo has a beast season( capturing the Vezina and Jennings Trophies) to lead the Cats to a 113 point season along with winning the president trophy. The next best team was 9 points away. its not unlikely for luongo to find his form in the regular season but the same issues haunt him in the playoffs.

-Kane shows up again potting 49 goals and 97 points. He captured the Art Ross, Hart, Lady Byng and Ted Lindsay Award. The next closest scorer to Kane was Corey Perry, who netted 48 goals and 93 points. Again he's in the midst of his best years so very likely to happen once again. especially playing with kane 2.0 those two have amazing skill and their chemistry is off the charts.

William Nylander’s rookie campaign was enough to capture top rookie honors. ( maybe we should've picked him over virtanen :bigblush:)

- Shea weber deal works out in montreals favour  winning the norris trophy

30 minutes ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

- Vancouver gets 76 points in the regular season missing the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row. I really don't think that the gap could be as large as 13 points near the end of the season. This team is way deeper/younger/more skilled/faster/tougher/more experienced than last years team or the team from a couple of years ago. I expect us to be in the playoff hunt right till the end.

- Roberto Luongo has a beast season( capturing the Vezina and Jennings Trophies) to lead the Cats to a 113 point season along with winning the president trophy. The next best team was 9 points away. its not unlikely for luongo to find his form in the regular season but the same issues haunt him in the playoffs.

-Kane shows up again potting 49 goals and 97 points. He captured the Art Ross, Hart, Lady Byng and Ted Lindsay Award. The next closest scorer to Kane was Corey Perry, who netted 48 goals and 93 points. Again he's in the midst of his best years so very likely to happen once again. especially playing with kane 2.0 those two have amazing skill and their chemistry is off the charts.

William Nylander’s rookie campaign was enough to capture top rookie honors. ( maybe we should've picked him over virtanen :bigblush:)

- Shea weber deal works out in montreals favour  winning the norris trophy

Lol, I looked at the brackets and stopped and this is why those people on here who play "Be A GM" then come on here and think they are better than Benning should just stop, not play pokemon's, and get real friends!

LOL

1. No Anaheim but Edmonton makes it? Really?

2  No Anaheim or Nashville in the playoffs but Edmonton and Colorado? really? I'd put 100k on that not happening seriously

3. In the east Buffalo makes the playoffs but not Washington? OMFG - have the coders never watched a NHL game in their lives? Put money on that too!

Wow just wow....whomever made that game really needs to be fired, I don't care how 'realistic the game play is' clearly the ranking of players is waay off

4 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

Lol, I looked at the brackets and stopped and this is why those people on here who play "Be A GM" then come on here and think they are better than Benning should just stop, not play pokemon's, and get real friends!

LOL

1. No Anaheim but Edmonton makes it? Really?

2  No Anaheim or Nashville in the playoffs but Edmonton and Colorado? really? I'd put 100k on that not happening seriously

3. In the east Buffalo makes the playoffs but not Washington? OMFG - have the coders never watched a NHL game in their lives? Put money on that too!

Wow just wow....whomever made that game really needs to be fired, I don't care how 'realistic the game play is' clearly the ranking of players is waay off

Players individual skills may be great on one team, but they may not necessarily gel as a team. The game revolves around individual skills and doesn't take into account other potential elements in a season. Also depends on if any injuries occurred in the sim and that affects the game and reality. It doesn't take into account player development in a season. There are too many factors that simply ranking players skills cannot assess.

This is why I find it difficult to believe that a team can be built on statistics alone and makes me curious how those analytic GMs will do.

The difficulty with these simulations is that they tend to work out as though everything goes as expected for the most part. In my experience, there are rarely huge breakouts out of nowhere in EA simulations (a la Gostisbehere). A large portion of the the Canucks' potential to do well is based on hope for multiple breakouts and continued growth. The prediction here is more or less what happens if we run into injury problems and players don't improve as much as we hoped.

43 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

The difficulty with these simulations is that they tend to work out as though everything goes as expected for the most part. In my experience, there are rarely huge breakouts out of nowhere in EA simulations (a la Gostisbehere). A large portion of the the Canucks' potential to do well is based on hope for multiple breakouts and continued growth. The prediction here is more or less what happens if we run into injury problems and players don't improve as much as we hoped.

The Oilers winning the division is completely base on multiple breakouts and continued growth though. Whatever parameters they put into the simulation clearly tend to inflate the Oilers chances based on potential.

In the Canucks case they seem to be following the common thought that the rest of the media has, which is that the Canucks are too old and won't be able to score enough. Somehow other teams get the advantage of young players reaching another level, yet the Canucks don't.

Archived