The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] FLYERS CROWNED STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS IN NHL 17 SIMULATION

Tavrohorvat53

Just now, DeNiro said:

The Oilers winning the division is completely base on multiple breakouts and continued growth though. Whatever parameters they put into the simulation clearly tend to inflate the Oilers chances based on potential.

In the Canucks case they seem to be following the common thought that the rest of the media has, which is that the Canucks are too old and won't be able to score enough. Somehow other teams get the advantage of young players reaching another level, yet the Canucks don't.

You make a good point. I guess the difference between the Oilers and the Canucks is that most of the players on the Oilers are more sure things when it comes to improvement. As for the Canucks, a lot of fans (myself included) are hoping for some dramatic improvements that make huge differences (ie. Baertschi, Hutton, Tryamkin, or Markstrom etc. break out into star players). These dramatic improvements, while possible, are much less likely than the improvements that could be seen on the Oilers and thus the simulation probably didn't consist of any of them.

1 minute ago, ajhockey said:

You make a good point. I guess the difference between the Oilers and the Canucks is that most of the players on the Oilers are more sure things when it comes to improvement. As for the Canucks, a lot of fans (myself included) are hoping for some dramatic improvements that make huge differences (ie. Baertschi, Hutton, Tryamkin, or Markstrom etc. break out into star players). These dramatic improvements, while possible, are much less likely than the improvements that could be seen on the Oilers and thus the simulation probably didn't consist of any of them.

Yea but how long have those young Oilers been sure things? Being highly skilled and being able to put the puck in the net doesn't always translate to winning games, as they've shown.

I'm not sure the additions they made will suddenly catapult them into first in the division. I could see them potentially being a playoff team, but there's too many good teams in the Pacific still for them to win it. Again they're putting too much emphasis on potential and not enough on reality.

In the Canucks case they're putting too much emphasis on last seasons performance, which was a result of injuries and a lack of depth for the most part. Everyone seems to forget that our dramatic freefall last season really came in the final month and a half of the season. We were right in the fight until injuries just became too much to overcome, and the depth players we were relying on were not good enough.

I would chalk this up to people buying into the doom and gloom thoughts that are surrounding the Canucks right now. It's fine by me though, let us fly under the radar. Everyone thought we were gonna be a last place team in 2014-15 too.

Pretty far off predictions, I don't see Perry nearly scoring 50 or Kane either. Washington missing the playoffs? They're contenders and only getting better. Edmonton 10 points better than the contending Sharks? Nashville missing the playoffs big time with that defence and young guys up front getting better?

Probably the worst predictions EA have come out with but of course we'll see in a years time.

On 9/11/2016 at 0:25 PM, ajhockey said:

The difficulty with these simulations is that they tend to work out as though everything goes as expected for the most part. In my experience, there are rarely huge breakouts out of nowhere in EA simulations (a la Gostisbehere). A large portion of the the Canucks' potential to do well is based on hope for multiple breakouts and continued growth. The prediction here is more or less what happens if we run into injury problems and players don't improve as much as we hoped.

Its an entertainment product, it has a lot more difficulties than that. There's no reason at all to take it seriously. Its just marketing. 

I do like the Eastern Conference playoffs. Lots of rivalry series.... Battle of New York in the first round then battle of Pennsylvania in conference finals.. Michel Therrien coaching against his former team... In the West, rematch of last year between Minny and Dallas and Kings vs Sharks rematch

Archived