The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] T.Ruutu (and Sheppard) confirmed with Vancouver

Visp

Wow, T.Ruutu havent' heard his name in a while...to my surprise, I thought he was long gone from the NHL, but was still playing in NJ, although without really great results.

Sheppard could be a serviceable 13th forward if his game hasn't dropped to much...but I doubt they stick.

Not a bad strategy though....might make the kids (Virt, Gaunce, Baertschi, Rodin) work that much harder to earn a spot, teach them that they won't just be given their spot.

I can see Sheppard being a Cracknell type player for us, but I wouldn't expect him to play centre. It'll be interesting to see if Ruutu has anything left after a summer of rest and rehabilitation, but it seems doubtful based on his decline in recent years. We don't have a very gritty forward group though, so I'm pulling for him.

Also it'll be cool to see Ruutu on the back of a Canucks sweater again.

Been far too long since a Ruutu donned a Canucks jersey.

That said, for Tuomo, it's 5 years too late for him to make an impact.

On the other hand, I think Sheppard has a legit shot to make the club. Really depends on how he defines himself as a player at this training camp.

I do believe the Canucks will be paying special attention to the waiver wire this season though and wouldn't be shocked if they make a claim or two if they see players that they like or are slipping through the cracks of other organizations. (Think Stanton and Weise from a few seasons back).

Both former #9 overall picks.

Ruutu had one friggin' assist in 33 games last year with the Devils. He's so done...beyond Sturm-done.

Sheppard had his historically low FO% above 50 in 2014-15. He could be an option for the bottom-6...but only if Gaunce and/or Etem are disappointing.

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are these guys heading to the AHL?  Would they even be open to that?

That will probably depend on if they want to go to Europe or not.If they don't want to move over there they may choose to sign a two-way contract and play in the A hoping for injuries to the NHL roster and so some spots open for them with the big club. We are a team notoriously stricken by the injury bug so odds are they would get some playing time.

Archived