The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire Truck Bullies Two Cop Vehicles

SabreFan1

The video is a few years old, so I'm putting it here in the White Noise forum.  I ran across it while surfing YouTube while I was bored.  I'm still bored so I decided to share.  When I was a fireman in my early-mid 20's, I'm not sure what I would have done had I faced the same choice.  However, I love the choice that the Canadian froggy made though. :lol:

Silly Montreal cops make an already narrow road narrower by parking their vehicles across from the other side of an illegally (I assume) parked car.  I love what the driver of the pumper chooses to do.  I don't speak french but the cop didn't sound too happy.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Been to Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Nashville, Ottawa, Montreal. 

Montreal is by far the hardest city I've ever driven in.

Istanbul hands down. 

And I've seen the opposite. The absolute hoard of vehicles in cobblestone gridlock stuffed an ambulance from driving a patient up the hill.  In fact a delivery truck in front stopped. Dropped his tailgate and unloaded his wares at a textile shop. While the ambo, siren and lights wailing full tilt, our tour bus, and everyone else had no choice but wait him out. I walked everywhere else after.

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Istanbul hands down. 

And I've seen the opposite. The absolute hoard of vehicles in cobblestone gridlock stuffed an ambulance from driving a patient up the hill.  In fact a delivery truck in front stopped. Dropped his tailgate and unloaded his wares at a textile shop. While the ambo, siren and lights wailing full tilt, our tour bus, and everyone else had no choice but wait him out. I walked everywhere else after.

I hitch hiked once in turkey, about a three hour ride one my way to olympos.  It Took two rides.  Wow.  Scary.  The first one was in the back of a pickup.  Crazy crazy crazy.

istanbul I walked or taxied.

but I'll say the worst where I've actually been a driver is in Jakarta.  I was on a motorcycle.  There were painted lanes but they were completely ignored and it was basically a complete free for all.  Often, including me, pedestrian walkways and sidewalks were used.

It's like in every walk of life...there is a small cluster of dummies mixed in with the large number of good ones.  The stupidity of the police men who parked their vehicles where they did has more to do with the stupidity and lack of common sense of the individuals rather than the masses.  Good on the fireman to take the action he did.  I'm sure that especially among their peers, the fireman was a hero and the idiot cops were zeros.  Can you imagine the well-deserved abuse the idiot cops have had to endure from their peers for being so stupid?

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

I hitch hiked once in turkey, about a three hour ride one my way to olympos.  It Took two rides.  Wow.  Scary.  The first one was in the back of a pickup.  Crazy crazy crazy.

istanbul I walked or taxied.

but I'll say the worst where I've actually been a driver is in Jakarta.  I was on a motorcycle.  There were painted lanes but they were completely ignored and it was basically a complete free for all.  Often, including me, pedestrian walkways and sidewalks were used.

That sounds awesome!

Worst driving experience in my life was Bangkok, by far. Never having been to Turkey (yet) I can't relate to your's or @Canuck Surfer's experience, but the kok was fricken terrifying.

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

This is the norm in indo as well.  Often the wife will ride side saddle

image.jpeg

Saw that all over the place in SE Asia. My favorite was in Vientiane... family of six on a scooter. Dad with kid on lap, eldest son behind him, Mom on the rack, but she was sitting on a 2x4 with a kid on each side of her, seated on the piece of scrap wood, swinging their legs... Psycho 

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

That sounds awesome!

Worst driving experience in my life was Bangkok, by far. Never having been to Turkey (yet) I can't relate to your's or @Canuck Surfer's experience, but the kok was fricken terrifying.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

This is the norm in indo as well.  Often the wife will ride side saddle

image.jpeg

Ha Ha LOL Ha Ha

I'm off to Indonesia, Malaysia next week.  I have loads of pictures like this. Hired a kid to sit in front of me on a scooter to help hold surf boards with my buddy back on top of the back wheel. Surprised there is not a dog standing on the front kids knee > with his paws on the handle bars.  I have seen mums breast feeding babies while driving a scooter, with three other kids also along. Asia in general is chaos compared to Istanbul from a standpoint that this ^ happens? And there is not really any organized way in which you decide who has the right of way.  You want to pass someone? 

Just pull into the oncoming lane and the traffic will usually pull to the other side. And who knows when someone has the right of way to turn, left or right.  Even pedestrians. I was terrified to cross the street when I first got to Bangkok. You learn to just put your hand out and start walking. No matter the hoard. They just seem to yield...

Here is a cracker of a pic from Instanbul. That place is not as chaotic.  Its just sheer gridlock for 2 or 4 hours at a time.  All the streets in the old part of town are two thousand years old. Climbing up the hill in switchbacks. Without cross streets just back alleys to skinny for cars. One lane each way.  Cant find your street?  All the way up. And all the way down.  To try the next lane over. Net = 1 hour assuming the truck doesn't stop and offload? :lol:

At the bottom of the hill there is a train line which runs along the Bosphorous. Its too funny.  All the textile businesses are up those streets.  And it is too busy to run cars.  So they send boys down the hill walking with a hand cart.  They get on the train. Go pick up a shipment. Come back. But their uphill connecting road is a half Km up the main road which is packed.

So they wait till the train leaves.  Jump onto the rail line & try to run to the next street before any upcoming train...

DSCF5349.JPG

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Ha Ha LOL Ha Ha

I'm off to Indonesia, Malaysia next week.  I have loads of pictures like this. Hired a kid to sit in front of me on a scooter to help hold surf boards with my buddy back on top of the back wheel. Surprised there is not a dog standing on the front kids knee > with his paws on the handle bars.  I have seen mums breast feeding babies while driving a scooter, with three other kids also along. Asia in general is chaos compared to Istanbul from a standpoint that this ^ happens? And there is not really any organized way in which you decide who has the right of way.  You want to pass someone? 

Just pull into the oncoming lane and the traffic will usually pull to the other side. And who knows when someone has the right of way to turn, left or right.  Even pedestrians. I was terrified to cross the street when I first got to Bangkok. You learn to just put your hand out and start walking. No matter the hoard. They just seem to yield...

Here is a cracker of a pic from Instanbul. That place is not as chaotic.  Its just sheer gridlock for 2 or 4 hours at a time.  All the streets in the old part of town are two thousand years old. Climbing up the hill in switchbacks. Without cross streets just back alleys to skinny for cars. One lane each way.  Cant find your street?  All the way up. And all the way down.  To try the next lane over. Net = 1 hour assuming the truck doesn't stop and offload? :lol:

At the bottom of the hill there is a train line which runs along the Bosphorous. Its too funny.  All the textile businesses are up those streets.  And it is too busy to run cars.  So they send boys down the hill walking with a hand cart.  They get on the train. Go pick up a shipment. Come back. But their uphill connecting road is a half Km up the main road which is packed.

So they wait till the train leaves.  Jump onto the rail line & try to run to the next street before any upcoming train...

DSCF5349.JPG

I've only been to indo once.  Back in 97. Flew in from Perth where I had been for 6 months. Well Fremantle really....anyway: Bali, Lombok, gilli air, Java.  Batu Karas is where I tried surfing for my very first time.

man I loved it there. 

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Istanbul sounds frustrating.

I figured out driving in SE Asia after a few days, it's like this - giver s#@+, window down screaming "suck a d@#$!"

For driving it sure sounds like it.  Fortunately I had the patience of youth. I was only 19.  I didn't care how long things took.  I walked everywhere.  Sad that things are the way they are these days with all the war/conflict etc.  Turkey was such a fun place to travel through. There is a lot of history there and great sites to see.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

For driving it sure sounds like it.  Fortunately I had the patience of youth. I was only 19.  I didn't care how long things took.  I walked everywhere.  Sad that things are the way they are these days with all the war/conflict etc.  Turkey was such a fun place to travel through. There is a lot of history there and great sites to see.

Petra is bucket list for me... hope I get there.

Gobekli Tepe too

5 hours ago, riffraff said:

I've only been to indo once.  Back in 97. Flew in from Perth where I had been for 6 months. Well Fremantle really....anyway: Bali, Lombok, gilli air, Java.  Batu Karas is where I tried surfing for my very first time.

man I loved it there. 

I lived in Perth for ten years. All these places were about the same distance as LA from Vancouver. Maybe a tad further. Awesome joint Perth! Off to Bali with the family, Lombok to dive and Penang for two weeks.  Up the coast from KL.

Best street food on the planet, hands down, in Penang!!!

On 9/15/2016 at 9:53 AM, HK Phooey said:

It's like in every walk of life...there is a small cluster of dummies mixed in with the large number of good ones.  The stupidity of the police men who parked their vehicles where they did has more to do with the stupidity and lack of common sense of the individuals rather than the masses.  Good on the fireman to take the action he did.  I'm sure that especially among their peers, the fireman was a hero and the idiot cops were zeros.  Can you imagine the well-deserved abuse the idiot cops have had to endure from their peers for being so stupid?

If only they got some of that here in USA :lol:

My worst driving experiences have always taken place in San Francisco, trying to navigate two-lane, high-traffic roads on hills at a minimum 60° angle- bonus points if thick fog is impairing your vision. But some of these experiences y'all are describing in southeast Asia sound infinitely more terrifying! 

27 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

If only they got some of that here in USA :lol:

My worst driving experiences have always taken place in San Francisco, trying to navigate two-lane, high-traffic roads on hills at a minimum 60° angle- bonus points if thick fog is impairing your vision. But some of these experiences y'all are describing in southeast Asia sound infinitely more terrifying! 

How about navigating your way down Lombard with all the crazy tourists?  That must be fun. 

Archived