The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The North Dakota Standing Rock Movement

PhillipBlunt

7 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Why would I say he is wrong.  He isn't necessarily wrong. Pipeline protests do not accomplish his goal of moving to renewables at all.  The protests preserve markets for foreign oil.  You need to come to terms with that.

Well it is step towards the right direction, but I see what you are saying.

The decision makers are always hiding away from the front lines, in their ivory towers or mansion homes. Real progress can only be made when the protestors take their discussions to THOSE people, in private. 

Just now, clam linguine said:

Apparently the pipeline has been stopped according to CNN.  

Yeh but that's just lying msm.

I heard Obama's out there with a shovel digging up native bones right now. I read it on a blog somewhere, a blog with research! 

2 hours ago, inane said:

Yeh but that's just lying msm.

I heard Obama's out there with a shovel digging up native bones right now. I read it on a blog somewhere, a blog with research! 

Pretty sure this is Obama's version of the Fires of Kuwait.

It does seem like too obvious of a move for Obama.  One last Hail Mary pass for Trainman Warren Buffet and his Middle Eastern friends. To Heck with the hundreds of thousands of jobs in North Dakota.  Forcing Trump to come in and be the pragmatic bad guy.  But, maybe there is some relevant environmental issue here. It is fascinating.

7 hours ago, clam linguine said:

To be fair, the oil company has all of the politicians in ND, the National Guard, local and state police, private security companies and Old Man Winter on their side.... the protesters didn't have much of anything or anyone on theirs...

It's the biggest mismatch since Calgary vs Ottawa in the Grey Cup....

57 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Mismatched worse than Larsen behind the net with Hall! 

I want to be mad at Hall, but it wasn't really a dirty play and he obviously felt bad about it afterward. Blame whoever it was that made the suicide reversal...

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I want to be mad at Hall, but it wasn't really a dirty play and he obviously felt bad about it afterward. Blame whoever it was that made the suicide reversal...

Sbisa with the bad pass  / reversal....  almost as bad a reversal  / pass   as Justin Trudeau's decision on Kinder Morgan...

Complaints grow over whites turning Dakota Access protest into hippie festival

Tension brews as outsiders trash camps, mooch off tribe

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/28/complaints-whites-co-opting-dakota-access-protest/

http://launch.newsinc.com/share.html?trackingGroup=91568&siteSection=91568_vmpp&videoId=31678877

Tension is brewing within the Dakota Access protest as complaints grow about outside activists trashing the camps, mooching donations and treating the anti-pipeline demonstration like a Burning Man-style festival for hippies.

“Need to get something off my chest that I witnessed and found very disturbing in my brief time there that I believe many others have started to speak up about as well. White people colonizing the camps,” Alicia Smith said in a Facebook post.

“They are coming in, taking food, clothing etc and occupying space without any desire to participate in camp maintenance and without respect of tribal protocols,” she wrote. “These people are treating it like it is Burning Man or The Rainbow Gathering and I even witnessed several wandering in and out of camps comparing it to those festivals.”

Her Nov. 14 post, now making the rounds on social media, said outsiders are “literally subsisting entirely off the generosity of native people (AND YOUR DONATIONS if you have been donating) who are fighting to protect their water just because they can.”

A local deputy who asked to remain anonymous told WDAY AM’s Rob Port that most of the protesters are white, and that some have used racial slurs against black, Hispanic and American Indian officers.

Standing Rock Sioux Chairman David Archambault II, who is leading the protest, raised concerns about sanitation in a Nov. 23 interview with Vice, saying activists are “digging pits out there for their human waste.”

“That’s a flood zone,” said Mr. Archambault, referring to camps on federal land along the Cannonball River. “So when the floodwaters come up, that waste is going to be contaminating the water. We’re no different than the oil company, if we’re fighting for water. What’s going to happen when people leave? Who has to clean it up? Who has to refurbish it? It’s going to be us, the people who live here.”

As many as 3,000 people have moved in and out of the southern North Dakota protest camps since Aug. 10. Some protesters belong to the Standing Rock and other tribes, but many are students, environmental activists and agitators with criminal records who have ignored Mr. Archambault’s repeated calls for peaceful demonstrations.

“Before this entire movement started, that was some of the most beautiful land around,” Mr. Archambault said. “There was a place down there where eagles, over 100 eagles, would come and land. There were game down there — deer, pheasants, elk, geese. Now it’s occupied by people. And when masses of people come to one place, we don’t take care of it.”

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has given protesters on federal land north of the Cannonball River until Dec. 5 to clear the area, but leaders of the large Sacred Stone, or Oceti Sakowin, camp have said they will fight eviction.

“We are a coalition of grassroots groups living and working at the encampments, and we will not be moved,” the camp said on its website. “We stand united in defiance of the black snake and are committed to defense of water, our Mother Earth, and our rights as Indigenous people. We call on all people of conscience, from all Nations, to join the encampments and stand with us as we put our bodies on the line.”

A Nov. 3 post on Facebook by Jon Petronzio told would-be protesters to leave drugs and alcohol at home, warning: “This is not burning man or a festival. Do not bring your party at the expense of these people fighting for life and death.”

He said later that he had made the post in a “bout of anger and frustration at non-natives.”

“The main thing that I want to stress is that these people are NOT the majority and there are many people being wonderful allies and contributing in powerful and humble ways. We still need everyone there,” Mr. Petronzio said in a Nov. 26 post.

Well over $1 million has been donated online to support the protesters, who have called on the Obama administration to stop the 1,172-mile, four-state pipeline, which is about 87 percent complete, citing concerns about water quality and historic relics.

Some people have raised money on crowdfunding sites to cover their travel expenses to the site.

Supporters argue that the $3.8 billion project will run alongside an existing pipeline and has cleared the necessary environmental reviews.

The pipeline runs about a half-mile at its closest point from the Standing Rock reservation. The corps has delayed issuing a previously approved permit for the final 1,100 feet in North Dakota, a move being challenged by the pipeline company in court.

• 1 month later...

Lol the original protestors are still camped out on the site months after their little victory and the Sioux Tribe is now telling them to get off the site.

These people are bums, plain and simple. Just squatting on the site cause they have nowhere else to be

Archived