The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) What in life is most important to you?

Tre Mac

Pick what's most important to you  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey I've seen worse threads.  What in life is most important to you?  I asked this after talking with a 73yo man in the sauna.  He had open heart surgery years ago but there is no way of telling, he seems so fit and looks no older than 60.  He says without your health you have no freedom which got me thinking what in life is most important to me?  I have to agree with him, as I have little of the remaining choices I'd take my health over all of them. 

I voted love.

Family (and good friends) is most important to me and with them a lot of those other things fall in to place anyway IMO (happiness, health). 

Wealth, power etc are all immature, ego driven pursuits that bring little actual value to life. Not that I think money is evil or anything, you certainly need money for food, clothing, shelter etc but the pursuit of money (and it's close cousin power)  more often than not take you further away from love, family, happiness and health.

Life/work balance is VERY important IMO. Work to live, don't live to work.

Everything in life is relative I suppose.

The circumstances in which you came up in definitely impact what you think is important.

Happiness is #1 for me but I cannot obtain that on its own. In order for me to be honestly happy I need wealth, and health I could not care less about Love/Power as bad as that is to say.

The pursuit of wealth is a dangerous road, but when you're not born into a comfortable life you gotta do what you gotta do to obtain that wealth. Chasin that paper is the only way to ensure the longevity of my happiness.

Health well whats the point of wealth if you cant do anything with it. I watched my grandmother battle with dementia for years before passing away at just 68 that really put things into perspective for me, although I live a fairly healthy lifestyle I would never take life for granted and try to live every day to the fullest, and if life does happen to cut me short my life will have been lived like a Japanese Cherry blossom.

Love is love , a true squad of brothers I could trust my life with is infinitely more valuable to me than love.

39 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Health. Have you ever met a person who's happy with terminal cancer?

Probably not "happy" in a giddy sense, but some definitely do gain perspective looking back on life and/ or experience a sense of peace/ closure/ fulfillment  as they look back on life, so I think even adverse health could have its benefits if you're willing to look for silver linings.

Conversely, many "healthy" people seem to lack the peace/ perspective that these dying people have.  Without the proper insight on life, even people who are well-off financially may not be satisfied with their material assets which they stockpile in hopes of finding their happiness, just to see that it evades them.  Without gratefulness for their life circumstances their proverbial glass may remain half empty.  

Just now, Phil_314 said:

Probably not "happy" in a giddy sense, but some definitely do gain perspective looking back on life and/ or experience a sense of peace/ closure/ fulfillment  as they look back on life, so I think even adverse health could have its benefits if you're willing to look for silver linings.

Having had cancer I can say for certain that it had a positive impact on how I view life. So in a way, getting cancer did make me a happier and more fulfilled person. Granted, mine clearly wasn't terminal :lol:

26 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Health. Have you ever met a person who's happy with terminal cancer?

I know a person who had cancer, while it wasn't terminal cancer, it was still cancer. She was young, she didn't know what was going on, what was going to happen to her. But she kept her head up, she didn't let the cancer change who she was. She was still the same person she was before getting diagnosed. Happy, funny, sarcastic, making jokes. Making people around her feeling better. Was she happy that she had cancer? Absolutely not, but she kept on saying to everyone around her: "Why be sad over things we can't control?" She's much better now, her cancer has been gone for more than 10 years, but it still sucked. Yes it absolutely sucks for people who have cancer, any cancer, but especially terminal cancer. But having a chance to be with your family and friends before you go, having a chance to say, see or do things before you go. I guess that's the better part than just going dying without having a chance to tell your family that you love them, or your chance to have one last laugh with your friends.

^Does that make any sense at all. It makes sense to me. But there's a lot of things that make sense to me that makes other people go, "what in the world is she talking about." 

What I chose is, Happiness. Anything big or small can make you happy, and anything big or small can make you sad. But I'm not just talking about small happiness, like getting money for your birthday. Or seeing your favorite musical artist live, or eating your favorite food. Happiness is what YOU want it to be, what YOU define it to be. You can have love, but still not be happy. Or be the healthiest person in the world, but still not be happy. Same with power and wealth. Happiness comes within you as a person. Sure you yourself can be happy with love, or health, or power, or wealth. Or hell, even all those things! But you can also be happy without any of those things. You can make yourself happy, in any way you want. What's life without happiness anyways. I'd rather have no wealth, no power, no love, not the best health, but have happiness. Than have wealth, power, love and the best health in the world , but no happiness. 

^Again, does that make sense to anyone at all?

I voted for health because life is very burdensome when you have health issues. Having a fair number of health problems myself, it can be quite frustrating when you have something that can't even be cured or when they can't find what's wrong with you. If everyone was healthy then it would be easier to live a happy and fulfilling life.

38 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Happiness doesn't belong with the other group. Happiness is a feeling, the others are not and if you're happy the others don't matter.

The way you've set this up it has to be happiness.

I suppose but I would also argue health and power are feelings as well.  For the longest time as long as I had weed I would be able to block out everything else and that would make me feel happy.  I soon realized that came at a price and it affected my health and to a lesser extent wealth as well.  A lot of people are in this boat as well whether their vice be drugs, alcohol, sex, tv etc.  It's like when someone says 'just give me XXXXX and i'll be happy.'

I probably should of left happiness out but like I stated earlier I am not happy, rich, powerful or in love and that's fine as long as I have my health I can still enjoy life. 

Archived