The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What sports writers don't seem to see

iceman64

On 9/19/2016 at 4:41 AM, luckylager said:

The Shink trade was definitely as you put it - "short-sighted" , but man oh man we were hurting down the middle, too many injuries... And you have to admit, he skated with the puck too much...bowlegged to boot.

I really liked McCann, still do. Our defense was brutal last year, worst d ever, no one could clear the crease and they looked like a bunch of flailing drunk sorority girls when teams were pressing. It was an embarrassment. They were pathetic, but whether Gud is as good as we hope (in the West) remains to be seen.

In the past we've been burned by players that looked good in Florida, only to find out they're hot garbage once they hit Vancity, on a few occasions, so I'm not holding my breath. 

Agreed but that was Gillis and we now have Benning.

I too liked the potential of McCann but he was for down the line and Guddy was badly needed now.

Players like Guddy are not just traded for their personal performance but also for the spread effect they have on those around them and that is why, imo it was a trade we had to make.

Our defensive weaknesses and lack of pushback were affecting the potential of the rest of the team. With the addition of Guddy and Sutter I expect all that to right itself.

If Gudbranson is the player we thought we had then in 2 years time (about the time we would expect McCann to show) we may well have covered his loss with players who are bigger, better and able to make the required impact AND we will also have a dominating young D who at 26 will just be coming into his prime.

I say all that based on Benning's ability to keep the ball moving forward and his pragmatic attitude.

Summing up - I'm not worried in the slightest, it's all guddy :P

On 9/18/2016 at 0:51 PM, Honky Cat said:

Carolina Hurricanes     0 playoff appearances in 10 years

Columbus Bluejackets   2 playoff appearances in 15 years

Calgary Flames             1 playoff appearances in 7 years

Edmonton Oilers           0 playoff appearances in 10 years

Arizona Coyotes           3 playoff appearances in 13 years

Jets/Thrashers              2 playoff appearances in 16 years

Toronto Maple Leafs     1 playoff appearances in 11 years 

Gee...I'm confused..why do these teames have better prospect pools that we do..?

Yeah, that sheds a nice light on the idea that "one and done" is the worst possible outcome.

On 9/18/2016 at 1:53 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Has this site become like an internet North Korea of hockey forums, where one can only post endless praise and worship of the Canucks for fear of the wrath of the *real fans?

The culture here sees posters posting that the "cynical" posters must have terrible lives because they don't speak in terms of wish thinking or the power of positivity when accessing the team. Fanatical vs fan.

Aircool, getting shat on because he isn't marching with the herd of optimistic viewpoints, exemplifies what this board targets.

Since when and who says our prospect pool is great? Is great the new average? You'd have to be an incredibly biased fan of the team to make any rational connection to that; it's an insult to the Hockey world. Yet, he is informed that he must be some kind of social puck up for having an opinion as such. Seems a bit like a self-interest group in here.

The haters always feel so persecuted after coming to a fan site to dump all over the team.

He kind of lost me when he said we won't sniff the Cup in the next 15 years. There is literally no amount of information we have right now that could tell someone that.

Furthermore, I take issue with the chastising over absolutes, and then using absolutes to make a counter-point.

No one knows exactly what will happen. That's sports, and that's life, it's what makes both good and bad.

I look at how we're drafting and I'm confident in the future. I have the same confidence in our players. I cannot run this team down for not having a successor for the Sedins, because not many teams have that sort of luxury either. If you have a solid core you're winning hockey games, and Top 3 picks don't come easy or often. At some point we will fall, and those players will be found.

I look at this team and see a team that is much more prepared for an 82 game season than the one we iced last year. So I'm comforted and eager for the season to begin with more competition, instead of given ice time, and less questions about our possible line up but instead about how much they've improved.

I doubt we will compete for a Cup, but I know we'll compete at a higher level, and as we grow and rebuild that is good enough.

Go Canucks!

4 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

He kind of lost me when he said we won't sniff the Cup in the next 15 years. There is literally no amount of information we have right now that could tell someone that.

Furthermore, I take issue with the chastising over absolutes, and then using absolutes to make a counter-point.

No one knows exactly what will happen. That's sports, and that's life, it's what makes both good and bad.

I look at how we're drafting and I'm confident in the future. I have the same confidence in our players. I cannot run this team down for not having a successor for the Sedins, because not many teams have that sort of luxury either. If you have a solid core you're winning hockey games, and Top 3 picks don't come easy or often. At some point we will fall, and those players will be found.

I look at this team and see a team that is much more prepared for an 82 game season than the one we iced last year. So I'm comforted and eager for the season to begin with more competition, instead of given ice time, and less questions about our possible line up but instead about how much they've improved.

I doubt we will compete for a Cup, but I know we'll compete at a higher level, and as we grow and rebuild that is good enough.

Go Canucks!

Trevor, in an interview today on 1040, said they are happy with the youth they have in goal, and on D.  He said we need a couple elite (dynamic) forwards in that young group to really compete down the road.  He said the Twins are 36, and need to have a push from the young guys to take their top line minutes.  We just don't have those guys in our young group yet.  He says we need them.  

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Trevor, in an interview today on 1040, said they are happy with the youth they have in goal, and on D.  He said we need a couple elite (dynamic) forwards in that young group to really compete down the road.  He said the Twins are 36, and need to have a push from the young guys to take their top line minutes.  We just don't have those guys in our young group yet.  He says we need them.  

Yep, we're walking a razors edge right now. The right injuries happen and we're a bad team again, we stay healthy and we sneak into the playoffs.

We need a few more Boesers for me to be happy with our crop of young forwards.

What I like about our management as they seem to understand to fundamentals of building a team. First, it takes time, second, build from the net out, third, maintain structure and a frame work of players to provide shelter and allow your younger, skilled players to grow into their roles. The fourth, is get the young skilled players. That is the tricky part.  

That's the biggest problem with building is that it takes time, and even luck.

I hate trying to lose to win. It creates a bad culture. Plus, it's hard to be bad. Teams, like the Oilers will always out-bad you thanks to all of their accrued experience.

9 hours ago, Madwolf said:

Go Canucks!

Totally contradicted yourself there bud...

We can still compete better and finish worse. Being a more complete and competitive team doesn't always equate to wins. You never know what type of injuries or other factors will do to a team.

We could lose Eriksson and still be a better team compete wise than last year and finish worse.

We don't know the variables.

Way to many unknown quantities on this team to pencil them into any spot.

Tryamkin

Rodin

Gudbranson

Eriksson

Larsen

Hutton

All relatively new and young faces who could surprise or flop.

If the majority surprise we are in good shape to make the playoffs. If they flop you better bet we're fighting for last.

Archived