The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The demko restoration.

cuporbust

Found a great artcle on demko this morning that talked about just how much better demko s body is after his hip surgury. Basically , this guy posted a .925 save percentage on one leg . Kinda exciting to think he could be even that much better this year. Wow. 

Enjoy. 

PENTICTON — It took all of four days after hip surgery for Thatcher Demko to realize his life had just changed, forever.

It was April 2015, and Demko had just finished his fourth season of playing through injuries to both hips, which limited his movement and created a waterfall of other issues, including back pain.

By the time he had the surgery, he had zero degrees of internal rotation in his hips.

Right on the dot, zero,” Demko said. “So past my knee, my ankle couldn’t flair out anymore.”

Improbable, then, he was able to do what he did. And that was post a .925 save percentage, establishing his place as one of the best goalie prospects in the world.

Some have said Demko essentially played the 2014-15 season on one leg.

Is it really how it felt?

He nodded yes, after his practice Thursday as he prepares to start the Canucks first game at the Young Stars tournament.

“Yes. There were definitely a lot of limitations,” he said. “It’s hard to explain and put into words. But it’s not just the hips that hurt.

“Your back goes out. Your groin starts hurting. Everything comes together.

“But now I feel free to move around. I’m a happier guy.”

Demko was asked to put a number on it. From 0-100 how did he feel before the surgery and how did he feel after?

“I’d say, it went from negative-50 to 100,” he said.

In fact, he could feel the difference just four days after surgery was over.

“Right after surgery, they get you moving, they want to get the joint moving,” Demko said. “Four days after the surgery, I already had more external rotation than I did beforehand.

“I felt like a different person. Notonly physically, but playing hurt takes a toll on you. I felt rejuvenated emotionally as well.”

Interestingly, recovery wasn’t considered complete until April, a year after the surgery. Demko got more range of motion as the year went on, which is pretty encouraging considering he started his last season at Boston with six shutouts in his first seven games.

By the time the season was over, he had a .935 save percentage and was a Hobey Baker finalist, an award for the best player in the NCAA.

So, really, this fall is the first one Demko has been healthy in five years.

The timing couldn’t be more important as Demko transitions from the college game to the pros.

Generally, the transition is a difficult one, as goalies find they need to rely less on athleticism and more on positioning and technique to be successful.

This isn’t a point lost on Demko. Good thing, because you would assume instinctually Demko would want to use his dramatically improved post-surgery explosiveness as often as he could in the crease.

“You don’t want to use it too much because it will get you out of position,” Demko said.

“The (new found explosiveness) is more just there when I need it. If I have to make a split save, I’m able to do it, whereas before, maybe not.

“You definitely want to move less (in the pros) and be more efficient. Now I’m more mobile in different areas, which actually allows me to be more compact.”

When Demko plays his first game with the Canucks is anyone’s guess. He wants to play as soon as possible. The team wants to give him every opportunity to stick when he does, which likely means an apprenticeship in the AHL for two years.

Kinda ironic that Demko's injury might have led to his decision to go pro. Professional careers can end quickly thru injury and I suspect agents cautioned clients of that risk. With the threat of college players waiting to become free agents signing them as soon as possible reduces the risk of drafting them. Hopefully Boeser talks to Demko and Stecher regularly.  

Great story...but anyone else concerned with long term consequences? 

I'm not usually a pessimistic guy, but seems like it could be a concern for the long term.  Already had hip surgery, along with groin and back problems.  Yes he might be ok for a 3-5 years and I'm not a doctor, but I figure these problems could resurface sooner rather than later?

Just hope we don't wait until he's 28 before he's a #1, like we did with Schneider. lol

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Great story...but anyone else concerned with long term consequences? 

I'm not usually a pessimistic guy, but seems like it could be a concern for the long term.  Already had hip surgery, along with groin and back problems.  Yes he might be ok for a 3-5 years and I'm not a doctor, but I figure these problems could resurface sooner rather than later?

Just hope we don't wait until he's 28 before he's a #1, like we did with Schneider. lol

Ya not sure. I think its a pretty common issue with hockey players though, especially butterfly goaltenders.  Pekka Rinne had surgury. So did jamie benn and kesler for example. 

They did a study on hip health on ncaa div 1 players and found that 77% of the players examined had abnormailities. 

33 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Ya not sure. I think its a pretty common issue with hockey players though, especially butterfly goaltenders.  Pekka Rinne had surgury. So did jamie benn and kesler for example. 

They did a study on hip health on ncaa div 1 players and found that 77% of the players examined had abnormailities. 

Yeah, that was kind of my point.  These players had the surgery 4-5 years into their NHL career and it might have prolonged their career at a high level for 4-5 years.  Pushing them into their 30s.   Demko is realistically 1.5 to 2 year away from being in the NHL.  He might be worn out before he's 30.

But like I said I'm not a doctor, maybe it's just maintenance... but it could also be the start of future lingering injuries?  Guess no point of panicking right now...but still, we should be a little concerned. 

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Yeah, that was kind of my point.  These players had the surgery 4-5 years into their NHL career and it might have prolonged their career at a high level for 4-5 years.  Pushing them into their 30s.   Demko is realistically 1.5 to 2 year away from being in the NHL.  He might be worn out before he's 30.

But like I said I'm not a doctor, maybe it's just maintenance... but it could also be the start of future lingering injuries?  Guess no point of panicking right now...but still, we should be a little concerned. 

Ya not sure either.  Hope not 

8 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I believe Cory Schneider also had a similar surgery in his early days (i think), it is common with goaltenders. Either way if Demko truly did have 0deg of internal rotation then it needed to be rectified to play at the pro level. That surgery would have prolonged his career and he would have had the best available rehab, not to mention surgical techniques have advanced astronomically in the past 15 years. Most of these surgeries are done arthroscopically (sp?). If anything, it will be a limitation for him into his later years.. like when he is in his 50's and needs a hip replacement.

Archived