The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canadiens fielding offers for Nathan Beaulieu

Another member of the Montreal Canadiens' blue line could soon be on the move.

The defenseman currently in question is Nathan Beaulieu, and while the team is not actively shopping him, they are fielding offers for the 23-year-old, general manager Marc Bergevin told Francois Gagnon of RDS, with translation from Sportsnet's Eric Engels:

Beaulieu finished last season with 19 points in 64 games, good enough for third among Canadiens' defensemen, behind only P.K. Subban and Andrei Markov. He has one year remaining on his contract at a very affordable $1 million.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1102570

Interesting, I wonder why they are giving up on him. I don't watch the habs enough but a buddy is a big fan and has always liked this kid.

His numbers look pretty good for a young player and he's got offensive upside. I don't think we need another left D but odd they are willing to part with him.

I bet the price will be steep, without havuing any real backgound other than what the interwebs is telling me, he looks like a decent prospect.  Big,young 1st rounder who put up points in the Q.  He has hockey hair...you know, the important stuff.

I don't see us being in the hunt.  We need to keep the picks and assets we have. 

Unless Bergevin wants Prust and a 5th of course....B)

IMO he's labeled a an offensive defenseman because of overinflated junior numbers playing with back to back Memorial Cup participants, St-Johns Sea Dogs. 

I think he has got better on the defensive side, but I see him as a 30 pts guy max...so neither great or weak on offense or defense.  I don't see him becoming much more than an OK second pairing defenseman. 

Plus because of his attitude problems in the past, I wouldn't bother trying to acquire him.   Pretty sure that's why Montreal is shopping him (despite GM denying it), they want to get something decent while he's still young and has some value.

4 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I bet the price will be steep, without havuing any real backgound other than what the interwebs is telling me, he looks like a decent prospect.  Big,young 1st rounder who put up points in the Q.  He has hockey hair...you know, the important stuff.

I don't see us being in the hunt.  We need to keep the picks and assets we have. 

Unless Bergevin wants Prust and a 5th of course....B)

Yeah, but coming here he would have a complex after meeting Boeser...therefore not a great fit for Vancouver.

Wasn't he tabbed as their future on left-side D after Markov leaves, at least until Sergachev is ready?  I still remember how in a proposal I made about him for Vrbata (when Radim was doing well) @qwijibo shot it down, pretty much saying he was an important part of their future.  Wonder how much has changed?

Wouldn't buy too much into this beyond fielding potential offers IMO.

Quite the media spin. The translated message states that Bergivin is not shopping the player but receives calls so he lsitens to them. All in all, I would think that this is likely a pretty honest assessment of what happens daily with all GM's any given day with any given player.

However, the tweet from Engels completely twists these words to state that Bergevin is "fielding offers". I don't see this as a truthful assessment of what was actually said, rather a media spin that is intended to make a headline that someone will stop and read.

48 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Wasn't he tabbed as their future on left-side D after Markov leaves, at least until Sergachev is ready?  I still remember how in a proposal I made about him for Vrbata (when Radim was doing well) @qwijibo shot it down, pretty much saying he was an important part of their future.  Wonder how much has changed?

Wouldn't buy too much into this beyond fielding potential offers IMO.

Moving him would leave a big hole on the left side. Currently based on depth most analysts have him pencilled in to play with Weber on the top pairing. So unless they have someone else in mind (either by trade or internally) I have a hard time believing he'll be moved.

Of course I never  realized how much power that doucebag Therrien seems to wield over Bergevin. 

Therrien allegedly called pacioretty  the worst captain in Habs history and Beaulieu immediately stepped up to defend Pacioretty. Now suddenly they're fielding calls on hi

Archived