The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World Cup of Hockey Prediction Thread

World Cup of Hockey Winner  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It begins today! The World Cup of Hockey!

So, I was checking out the NHL.com's predictions for the outcome for the World Cup of Hockey and while I agreed with many on the overall outcome, I couldn't understand what most of those so called pundits had been watching when predicting their MVP. So I figured I'd start a thread here so that you could predict, like dose guys, who the winner and runner up would be in each group, who the winners of the semi-finals games would be and who the MVP would be. I'll start:

Group A winner: Canada

Group A runner up: USA

Group B winner: Sweden

Group B runner up: North America

Semifinals 1 winner: Canada

Semifinals 2 winner: Sweden

Winner: Canada

MVP: John Tavares

P.S. There is no space in this thread for nay-sayers of the World Cup of Hockey.

Have Canada vs. Team North America for the finals.  Head is thinking Canada will win it, heart wants N.A. to win an exciting, all-out tournament to highlight their elite guns and firepower.

Wouldn't be too surprised if the Swedes or Russians gave the Young Guns a run for their money, as they have legitimate firepower and solid goal-tending, while the Swedes may be able to negate the kids with the best or 2nd best defensive groups in the tournament.

Edit: seeing Europe's start maybe there could be some more surprises?  With that D-group looks like the Habs of old when they beat Sid and Ovie in that playoff run, and they might have enough offense to go along with their structure to challenge.

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Have Canada vs. Team North America for the finals.  Head is thinking Canada will win it, heart wants N.A. to win an exciting, all-out tournament to highlight their elite guns and firepower.

Wouldn't be too surprised if the Swedes or Russians gave the Young Guns a run for their money, as they have legitimate firepower and solid goal-tending, while the Swedes may be able to negate the kids with the best or 2nd best defensive groups in the tournament.

Edit: seeing Europe's start maybe there could be some more surprises?  With that D-group looks like the Habs of old when they beat Sid and Ovie in that playoff run, and they might have enough offense to go along with their structure to challenge.

I really like team NA too. They are fast and super talented. They can do a lot of damage. I think their undoing will be their lack of experience. Other teams will get them to play their game rather than the speed/skill game that team NA will need to play to win. If team NA can get pushed into playing a more physical game then they are done.

I've also been impressed by Europe their last two games, though I do think that Sweden mailed it in and Lundquist was not on his game. But to beat the US so resoundingly? Pretty impressive. Kane definitely looks like he's gripping his stick too tightly. I think his mentality is that it has to be now for the US to go all the way(which is reflected in their motto that he keeps repeating) so he's got nerves about that.

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

My predictions match the OP's.

I'm hoping Sweden can win though. Much rather see the Sedins win instead of Marchand.

I will definitely be thrilled if either team wins it!

1 hour ago, the harry said:

Looking at the poll I see at lot of home bias.

Wow, you just made it so that not a single Canadian can pick Canada objectively because they have, oh, I don't know, ridiculously talented players, complete depth, fantastic defence, the best goaltender in the world. Good for you.

Archived