The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders Re-Sign Ryan Strome

ItsMillerTime

30 minutes ago, Jaku said:

I don't think this outrageous in anyway. I believe last year was an anomaly. 

This.

Why are people acting like he's a crap player? He has top 6 talent and is ready for a role there but been misused in NYI by Capuano who has kept him in his doghouse since day 1. Even with Nielsen gone, wouldn't be surprised if Jack prioritizes Nelson or even puts Lee back to centre ahead of Strome. Ridiculous how he hasn't been put in a position to succeed and never given the benefit of the doubt.

..contract wise, I think this is very fair and don't see what all the fuss is about. Very cheap contract. If he finally gets top 6 minutes, this will most definitely be a 2 year bargain for the Isles.

Didn't watch him last year, but a drop in production for someone like Strome (a blossoming Strome) was probably injury related. I think this worked out in the NYI GM's favor. If Strome followed up with a 70 point season, they wouldn't be able to give him a bridge contract of 2.5 mil/year. I doubt a bridge contract would be in the discussion at all.

Now, if he follows up with a bounce-back year, this is an excellent move. If he continues to slip, this is still a good move since they only have him for two years.

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

The amount of money players are getting for putting up weak numbers is getting concerning.

Meh, it's $2.5M over two years. If it doesn't work it won't require a buyout, and it won't handcuff the Islanders. I'm not worried about this deal in comparison to the 'good' deals (like the Getzlaf/Perry deals that were signed right after the lockout) - and that's not even talking about the Clarkson-esque debacles we've seen since.

Last year was a downer for him, but he had a good year prior (albeit playing a fair bit with Tavares iirc) so there's reasoning behind the result.

24 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Meh, it's $2.5M over two years. If it doesn't work it won't require a buyout, and it won't handcuff the Islanders. I'm not worried about this deal in comparison to the 'good' deals (like the Getzlaf/Perry deals that were signed right after the lockout) - and that's not even talking about the Clarkson-esque debacles we've seen since.

Last year was a downer for him, but he had a good year prior (albeit playing a fair bit with Tavares iirc) so there's reasoning behind the result.

lol

...how would he even possibly be a buyout candidate this early in his career with that small of a contract??

6 hours ago, Xbox said:

The amount of money players are getting for putting up weak numbers is getting concerning.

There's nothing concerning here. 73 million divided by 23 is 3.17mil per. You just never realized that. 

Talking specifically about Strome, he is more than worth this signing. 

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Water is also wet! :P 

Consider it like that safety meeting we've all had where there's one section on something you'd think no one would ever do. You shouldn't have to point it out, but it's in the book, so someone's already done it. In this case it was Xbox trying to say this was a terrible contract, so I pointed out all the things that would make it bad that aren't applicable.

2 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that RR is mocking you for ridiculously even mentioning the obvious.

Am I right, Rocket?

Ah, so trolling me? Why mock the guy responding to the original guy who made the ridiculous statement in the first place?

Archived