The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Definitive Thread of Unequivocal Boredom

Rate this topic

Tre Mac

11 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I despise nuts so I never liked any chocolate bars that had them, my favorite bars as a kid where crispy crunch and reese peanut butter cups.  No chocolate bars nowadays, trying to keep my weight down.  Instead I satisfy my sweet tooth with toast, I get high fibre bread from the bakery and usually put some maple spread on it or Nutella and peanut butter, so good!

I had this scale that measures body fat and all that after you enter your height and age, etc.  So ever since I owned it I've been in the red in terms of being overweight and such, well for the first time ever I reached the green, now down to 190lbs. Which is good because I couldn't do much physical activity these last 2 weeks because of a nasty cold.  Still got a long ways to go but I can tell the waist is getting slimmer.

I'm between 5'6 1/2 to 5'7 and in the 130's.  I would like to lose 10 pounds for vanity reasons.  It's always nice to fit into a smaller size.  I weigh myself 1x a week, on Saturday's, and eat 1,800 calories per day, and burn 500 per day.  Sometimes it's hard, some days I am hungry, and am tired to go to the gym, but have been going a lot this week.  I will probably go for a run after the Canucks-Bruins game. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So my cat likes to look out the window and stare at people, and sometimes people notice it.  I hear them say - she's looking at us.  And I think - how do they know my cat is a she.  I really like female cats.  The older they get, the sassier they are! Mine is so demanding of her kitty treats and when she wants to be feed, and doesn't like anyone else except me! 

Edited by brilac
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:58 PM, brilac said:

So my cat likes to look out the window and stare at people, and sometimes people notice it.  I hear them say - she's looking at us.  And I think - how do they know my cat is a she.  I really like female cats.  The older they get, the sassier they are! Mine is so demanding of her kitty treats and when she wants to be feed, and doesn't like anyone else except me! 

Sometimes you can just tell.  My cat was female, the downside is they are more susceptible to bladder infections and I think it's more expensive spading a cat.  Every pet I've had has been female though.  When my cat would eat moles she would have blood on her lips like Leipsic so it was fitting she was female.

Lip-stick

Edited by Tre Mac
6 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Sometimes you can just tell.  My cat was female, the downside is they are more susceptible to bladder infections and I think it's more expensive spading a cat.  Every pet I've had has been female though.  When my cat would eat moles she would have blood on her lips like Leipsic so it was fitting she was female.

Lip-stick

I swear, the older they get, the sassier they are!  I have a couch I bought at Target last year. I knew when I was ordering it, it could potentially become her 'scratching post.' I bought her a 6 ft cat tree.  She uses it to stare at me.  She likes to get to my height and stare.  And the couch, I will be watching TV, and she will jump up behind me and start scratching. I knew this would happen, and there's nothing I can do about it.  At least that's the only thing she scratches, and she's 13.  And the couch was cheap, and I'm surprised it has held up.  You don't see the scratches on the back until you really look close up.  

And today when waking up, I found her on the other side of my bed with her head on the pillow and her body on the sheets. 

I am taking a different approach to my cat's kidney disease.  I don't feel right of what the vet is telling me.  She has been on the Tiki Cat for a year now, and I keep asking the vet if the Tiki Cat is good for her.  It has high protein, about 70%-80% per can, and I keep questioning it.  And the vet tells me that cats in the wild, not domestic, eat high protein.  That makes sense, but I don't feel right about it, and in the course of a year, her kidney levels have gone from 1.6 to 2.4.  I had a blood pressure test done, and she was in normal range.  So I am putting the cat on a lower phosphorus diet with lower protein, half the protein.  I've researched some foods for the cat that have between 35% - 45% and have lower phosphorus, and the cat is going to another vet for a second opinion on how to slow the kidney disease down. 

House calls are expensive.  Sally doesn't like to go outside of the apartment and get in a taxi to go to the vet, and there is one down the street.  And I feel I am not getting all the information I need. I emailed the vet asking what else I can do besides giving the cat her medicated kitty treats, and I was advised a low phosphorus diet, but did not recommend any cat foods that good for my cat.  

Edited by brilac
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, brilac said:

I am taking a different approach to my cat's kidney disease.  I don't feel right of what the vet is telling me.  She has been on the Tiki Cat for a year now, and I keep asking the vet if the Tiki Cat is good for her.  It has high protein, about 70%-80% per can, and I keep questioning it.  And the vet tells me that cats in the wild, not domestic, eat high protein.  That makes sense, but I don't feel right about it, and in the course of a year, her kidney levels have gone from 1.6 to 2.4.  I had a blood pressure test done, and she was in normal range.  So I am putting the cat on a lower phosphorus diet with lower protein, half the protein.  I've researched some foods for the cat that have between 35% - 45% and have lower phosphorus, and the cat is going to another vet for a second opinion on how to slow the kidney disease down. 

House calls are expensive.  Sally doesn't like to go outside of the apartment and get in a taxi to go to the vet, and there is one down the street.  And I feel I am not getting all the information I need. I emailed the vet asking what else I can do besides giving the cat her medicated kitty treats, and I was advised a low phosphorus diet, but did not recommend any cat foods that good for my cat.  

Good luck with your cat, it can be difficult trying to find out which vet to believe.   I got to feed my friends cat this week, her cat is so vocal!

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Good luck with your cat, it can be difficult trying to find out which vet to believe.   I got to feed my friends cat this week, her cat is so vocal!

Is your friend's cat a Siamese?  

I've been looking for a pet sitter.  The pet sitter I had does not service the area I moved to, and I spoke with her pet sitter a while back, and have not got around to having her over to meet Sally.  Sally is a different type of cat who guards her home and only likes me.  So it takes a person who can handle my cat.

3 hours ago, brilac said:

Is your friend's cat a Siamese?  

I've been looking for a pet sitter.  The pet sitter I had does not service the area I moved to, and I spoke with her pet sitter a while back, and have not got around to having her over to meet Sally.  Sally is a different type of cat who guards her home and only likes me.  So it takes a person who can handle my cat.

No, it's black and white but not a tabby or Siamese.

When I was growing up, one year my brother and I wanted a Nintendo.  Every other kid in the neighborhood had a Nintendo, and we got bikes for Christmas instead.  My parents were not much for Nintendo and Game Boy.  My cousins even had Nintendo and Game Boy.  

Then there was neon rollerblades.  I had a friend who got those for Christmas, and those were so cool. When she got bored of them, she gave them to me, and I skated with those until I grew out of them.  I would skate with for hours, do tricks and skate backwards.  Last week while ice skating, I was practicing skating backwards.  I'm not that great at skating backwards, but I can practice more. Can you believe I used to have a few drinks sometimes in my late 20's and go ice skating afterwards, and would get inpatient that people were skating slow?!  What was I thinking?  I could fall.  Perhaps I was testing my limits of how fast I could skate, and then having people in my way.  Anyhow, I was Ebaying the rollerblades, and it brought me back to the neon rollerblades. 

8 hours ago, brilac said:

When I was growing up, one year my brother and I wanted a Nintendo.  Every other kid in the neighborhood had a Nintendo, and we got bikes for Christmas instead.  My parents were not much for Nintendo and Game Boy.  My cousins even had Nintendo and Game Boy.  

Then there was neon rollerblades.  I had a friend who got those for Christmas, and those were so cool. When she got bored of them, she gave them to me, and I skated with those until I grew out of them.  I would skate with for hours, do tricks and skate backwards.  Last week while ice skating, I was practicing skating backwards.  I'm not that great at skating backwards, but I can practice more. Can you believe I used to have a few drinks sometimes in my late 20's and go ice skating afterwards, and would get inpatient that people were skating slow?!  What was I thinking?  I could fall.  Perhaps I was testing my limits of how fast I could skate, and then having people in my way.  Anyhow, I was Ebaying the rollerblades, and it brought me back to the neon rollerblades. 

Ah the neon blades, good times.  Roller hockey was fun, can't believe we would have 12 kids on our street playing street hockey, you can't do that nowadays in my old neighbourhood.  I too would blade a lot, hours at a time.  Back then I had little to no body fat and almost an 8pack - those were the days.  I still got a pair but the wheels are toast and I haven't used them in a couple of years. 

I came across a Find a Grave site for my Father.  He died in 2016 or 2015. Sometimes it's hard to remember.  We didn't know he was sick until we received a phone call.  I was there holding his arm when he died, as well as my mother and another person was there.  I go to the Find a Grave site it once in a while.  There are current things from someone.  I don't know who it is, it is anonymous. There is a Happy Father's Day, Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, all from 2018, except the Merry Christmas, which is from 2017.  He died from Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  We had no idea he was sick.  When I went over to the house he lived in to get his things, he had made his bed before he drove himself to the hospital, and his closet was so well organized. 

Edited by brilac
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, brilac said:

I came across a Find a Grave site for my Father.  He died in 2016 or 2015. Sometimes it's hard to remember.  We didn't know he was sick until we received a phone call.  I was there holding his arm when he died, as well as my mother and another person was there.  I go to the Find a Grave site it once in a while.  There are current things from someone.  I don't know who it is, it is anonymous. There is a Happy Father's Day, Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, all from 2018, except the Merry Christmas, which is from 2017.  He died from Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  We had no idea he was sick.  When I went over to the house he lived in to get his things, he had made his bed before he drove himself to the hospital, and his closet was so well organized. 

Sorry to hear that, my mom passed away from Lymphoma as well.  I didn't know it was that bad as she was in remission for a bit but then she got an infection and within 48 hrs she passed away, it was pretty sudden.  No grave site though, she wanted her ashes spread along boundary bay where her parents are also at peace. 

14 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Sorry to hear that, my mom passed away from Lymphoma as well.  I didn't know it was that bad as she was in remission for a bit but then she got an infection and within 48 hrs she passed away, it was pretty sudden.  No grave site though, she wanted her ashes spread along boundary bay where her parents are also at peace. 

My Father was cremated as well.  His ashes have not been spread.  It's so much anxiety of letting go.  I was so numb when he died, and I was so put together when I went to the funeral home to make arrangements, pay, and the person who met with me at the funeral home told me how prepared I was, that I came with everything they needed, and I even made a joke about buying his urn off Ebay, telling them how cheap and a minimalist he was cause their urns were so expensive.  I even have his things he took the the hospital in the closet.  It was one of those things that I just put in the closet, and leave it there. One day I will wake up in the morning, and be like, I'm going to such and such to spread his ashes, or one morning I will wake up and be like, these things need be looked at in the closet or thrown away.   

9 hours ago, brilac said:

My Father was cremated as well.  His ashes have not been spread.  It's so much anxiety of letting go.  I was so numb when he died, and I was so put together when I went to the funeral home to make arrangements, pay, and the person who met with me at the funeral home told me how prepared I was, that I came with everything they needed, and I even made a joke about buying his urn off Ebay, telling them how cheap and a minimalist he was cause their urns were so expensive.  I even have his things he took the the hospital in the closet.  It was one of those things that I just put in the closet, and leave it there. One day I will wake up in the morning, and be like, I'm going to such and such to spread his ashes, or one morning I will wake up and be like, these things need be looked at in the closet or thrown away.   

I was the opposite.  Since I was executor of the estate I was given the ashes and I wanted to spread them as soon as possible.  It was my dad that had a tough time letting go, I remember I had to break in to the house just to change the answering machine because I didn't want to her my mom's voice every time I called, neither did my relatives.  I felt almost haunted having her ashes in my house and I was so worried about someone breaking in and stealing them.  Finally after a couple of months we were able to find someone with a boat and my father and some aunts and uncles went out and I spread her ashes and felt an instant relief - I think after that point I was able to cope with the loss.  Up until that point I was pretty numb to the whole situation as well.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:48 AM, brilac said:

You know when you're casually sipping the champagne, and all of the sudden, you are watching the Sally Jesse Raphael show on the Roku channel! There's some intense stuff on this show! I used to watch this show after school like 20+ something years ago! 

I remember my mom would watch that show.

Another uneventful Christmas but I do enjoy the break.  Done a good job at keeping the weight down but really not looking forward to going back to work, although I do get another week of vacay this year.  The boredom is real.

37 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Another uneventful Christmas but I do enjoy the break.  Done a good job at keeping the weight down but really not looking forward to going back to work, although I do get another week of vacay this year.  The boredom is real.

I bought the 'holiday pants' so I could eat more and not have my jeans fit me tight.  I ran a mile around the track yesterday without stopping, 4x around. 

Edited by brilac

Every once in a while I like to go to Find a Grave site, and tonight I was reading about my Grandfather.  Wow, what a guy that was.  He was born in Regina, SK, travelled a lot - been to 48 states before he was married (except for Alaska and Hawaii), and was a US Army Veteran, and a great story teller.  I remember him telling us about playing Hockey on a pond in SK, showing off his Hockey memorbella, and singing - 'Grandma got ran over by a reindeer, coming home drunk one Christmas Eve...' And the stories about him, why he didn't go to Mass.  It cut into his drinking hour.   

• Upvote 1