The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kucherov Offer Sheet?

Provost

This would not surprise me actually.

Theres a few factors why I think this might actually happen.

Why the Canucks do it:

-Talking to those in the know, next years draft could be one to forget.  

-Kucherov is a near elite offensive force who should still improve.  Regardless of the 1st round pick, even 1 OA, Kucherov could still be the better option and hes ready to contribute, but should also contribute as part of the next core.

-They would give up a 1st 2nd and 3rd in 2017 and offer up a deal around 7 mill/per year over 8 years.

Why TB does it:

-Being that the Canucks are on many peoples list to finish last, they may feel that a 1st 2nd 3rd is adequate compensation.

--TB has Johnson, Palat, and Drouin (whom will likely have some Bonuses carried over to next season) as RFAs for next offseason, plus Hedmans raise will come into effect.  They simply cannot afford to match this offer sheet without making moves for the coming season, and certainly moves for the following season.

Why TB matches:

-Seeing their contract structure, they probably feel like this is "The Year" and they match any offer sheet for Kuch. 

-They could offload some of their depth and bring up entry level deals to make it work as well, and worry about the "mess" after this coming season, and likely get a much better deal for Kucherov if they match and wait to deal him.  While it really looks complicated for next season, I wouldnt be surprised to see Filpulla or Callahan available for the expansion draft, get plucked, and help them with some cap relief.

My guess is that TB matches anything and you make enemies for life, who now have a keen eye for Vancouver RFAs.  Still it's something to consider as adding Kucherov really changes the dynamic of the franchise.   

Then Hansen and Edler are moved for Landeskog :P

Sedin Sedin Kucherov

Landeskog Sutter Eriksson

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Dorsett Granlund Burrows

Rodin

Etem

Gaunce

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Sbisa Larsson/Stecher

Pedan

Biega

6 hours ago, JohnLocke said:

If we should offer sheet anyone, it's Gaudreau. 

Sign him for 8.5milx8.

If Calgary matches, we've managed to screw Calgary for the next 8 years.

If Calgary doesn't match, we get Johnny Hockey. 

Can only offer 7 years, no?

And sounds like your willing to pay well above asking like any Vancouver house on the market these days I suppose?

They won't be trading Kucherov.

However with only 6.9 mil in cap (with only 5 D signed) and young players like Hedman, Drouin, Palat, and Johnson all due for big raises next year, they have to make a trade now. Otherwise they're going to be ripe for a team to rip them off next offseason.

That is unless they can find a deal that pays a premium to take a player like Callahan or Fillipula off their hands, but that's easier said than done.

My guess is Palat is the odd man out. Would probably cost a 1st round pick.

Be awesome to have him no doubt, but it would have to be via trade. Major issue is they would want Bo coming back. If we truly are trying to win a cup in the Sedin era it is time to go all in now.

Edler for cap reasons

1st round pick

something else

for 

Kucherov resigned for 7yr @ 49m 

Canucks then sign Russel to a cheap 2 year deal and hope he can play top 4.

15 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Be awesome to have him no doubt, but it would have to be via trade. Major issue is they would want Bo coming back. If we truly are trying to win a cup in the Sedin era it is time to go all in now.

Edler for cap reasons

1st round pick

something else

for 

Kucherov resigned for 7yr @ 49m 

Canucks then sign Russel to a cheap 2 year deal and hope he can play top 4.

Id be down for that, except for signing Russel.  he is garbage for what itll cost to sign him.  hes like bartkowski but blocks shots better.  3rd pairing D man, nothing more.

Could actually be a very solid deal for TB as well.  well played.

I think you may have missed my point.  As it is right now we don't have  young stars (with apologys to Horvat,) in our ranks - Calgary has four, Hamilton, Brodie, Monohan and Gaudreau - and possibly Bennett.  Cap space is important no doubt.  Gaudreau is likely worth 10 mill a season for 7 years given what we've seen so far and that you would lock him in for his best years (not like most big pay days which happen half way through a players prime) and by the end of it players of his caliber will likely be making 15 million per season.  The forecaster has him third in scoring this season at 92 points, reasonable given is skill set and the improving core around him - that would make him worth 10 mill already.  That said it will never happen, we would owe Calgary a ridiculous number of picks  - but it would be something else if it did.  

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

However with only 6.9 mil in cap (with only 5 D signed) and young players like Hedman, Drouin, Palat, and Johnson all due for big raises next year, they have to make a trade now. Otherwise they're going to be ripe for a team to rip them off next offseason.

That is unless they can find a deal that pays a premium to take a player like Callahan or Fillipula off their hands, but that's easier said than done.

Bishop is all but gone this year with a cheaper option in Vaselevsky rising.  This will help sign some guys but at least one of their forward group is going too.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Drouin sent packing once is stock is high enough for Yzerman's liking, and one of the Triplets.  They have two scoring lines that could use up 35 mill of their cap space....hard to manage a team that way when you throw in  Hedman and Bishop.  Stan Bowman is the best in the business for managing a star core, but it has it's pitfalls for sure - would be great if Benning could manage trading some cheaper options for one of  them, with a draft pick/prospect package.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

hedman has been already locked up 

3 hours ago, 70seven said:

Why the Canucks do it:

-Kucherov is a near elite offensive force who should still improve.  Regardless of the 1st round pick, even 1 OA, Kucherov could still be the better option and hes ready to contribute, but should also contribute as part of the next core.

-They would give up a 1st 2nd and 3rd in 2017 and offer up a deal around 7 mill/per year over 8 years.

Why TB does it:

-Being that the Canucks are on many peoples list to finish last, they may feel that a 1st 2nd 3rd is adequate compensation.

--TB has Johnson, Palat, and Drouin (whom will likely have some Bonuses carried over to next season) as RFAs for next offseason, plus Hedmans raise will come into effect.  They simply cannot afford to match this offer sheet without making moves for the coming season, and certainly moves for the following season.

Why TB matches:

-Seeing their contract structure, they probably feel like this is "The Year" and they match any offer sheet for Kuch. 

-They could offload some of their depth and bring up entry level deals to make it work as well, and worry about the "mess" after this coming season, and likely get a much better deal for Kucherov if they match and wait to deal him.  While it really looks complicated for next season, I wouldnt be surprised to see Filpulla or Callahan available for the expansion draft, get plucked, and help them with some cap relief.

My guess is that TB matches anything and you make enemies for life, who now have a keen eye for Vancouver RFAs.  Still it's something to consider as adding Kucherov really changes the dynamic of the franchise.   

Sedin Sedin Kucherov

Dorsett Granlund Burrows

Rodin

Etem

Gaunce

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Sbisa Larsson/Stecher

Pedan

Biega

Great discussion on offer sheets 

I would in heart beat give up 2017/ -1rst,2nd,and 3rd . We could expedite another run at the cup with Sedins here still , while we would be hated by some ,especially Tampa .

It appears Tampa will soon cap out in the next year or so,an regardless are gonna lose some players .Draft picks will give them ELC protection in draft an keep their cap in bounds? an allow them to continue down there current stream building.Indirectly we may be doing them a favour as such is the business of the NHL ,today's rule allows offer sheets on RFA maybe next deal an CBA will not as the cap an pay grids are now being challenged by likes of Johnny Hockey who is in an ELC year?

7 hours ago, mll said:

It's not 1st, 2nd and 3rd but 4 x 1st round picks.

For compensation - it's divided by maximum 5 years even if the contract is longer.  So anything above 47M - translates into 4 x 1st round picks.

Every time this comes up, people forget not only the compensation, but also the fact the player has to sign the offer sheet.  A team can make the offer, but I would tend to assume that in most cases players don't want to move, in which case you have pissed in the punch for nothing.  You at least have to wait until a guy's agent goes fishing around for something.

5 hours ago, 70seven said:

Why the Canucks do it:

Why TB does it:

Why TB matches:

Sedin Sedin Kucherov

Dorsett Granlund Burrows

Rodin

Etem

Gaunce

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Sbisa Larsson/Stecher

Pedan

Biega

Forget just the playoffs, that's a cup contending top six. 

Archived