The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kucherov Offer Sheet?

Provost

10 hours ago, 70seven said:

This would not surprise me actually.

Theres a few factors why I think this might actually happen.

Why the Canucks do it:

-Talking to those in the know, next years draft could be one to forget.  

-Kucherov is a near elite offensive force who should still improve.  Regardless of the 1st round pick, even 1 OA, Kucherov could still be the better option and hes ready to contribute, but should also contribute as part of the next core.

-They would give up a 1st 2nd and 3rd in 2017 and offer up a deal around 7 mill/per year over 8 years.

Why TB does it:

-Being that the Canucks are on many peoples list to finish last, they may feel that a 1st 2nd 3rd is adequate compensation.

--TB has Johnson, Palat, and Drouin (whom will likely have some Bonuses carried over to next season) as RFAs for next offseason, plus Hedmans raise will come into effect.  They simply cannot afford to match this offer sheet without making moves for the coming season, and certainly moves for the following season.

Why TB matches:

-Seeing their contract structure, they probably feel like this is "The Year" and they match any offer sheet for Kuch. 

-They could offload some of their depth and bring up entry level deals to make it work as well, and worry about the "mess" after this coming season, and likely get a much better deal for Kucherov if they match and wait to deal him.  While it really looks complicated for next season, I wouldnt be surprised to see Filpulla or Callahan available for the expansion draft, get plucked, and help them with some cap relief.

My guess is that TB matches anything and you make enemies for life, who now have a keen eye for Vancouver RFAs.  Still it's something to consider as adding Kucherov really changes the dynamic of the franchise.   

Then Hansen and Edler are moved for Landeskog :P

Sedin Sedin Kucherov

Landeskog Sutter Eriksson

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Dorsett Granlund Burrows

Rodin

Etem

Gaunce

Hutton Tanev

Tryamkin Gudbranson

Sbisa Larsson/Stecher

Pedan

Biega

If only we had a couple of those young stars... Just sitting at home tonight with the dog, feel like I should be doing something important but can't quite put my finger on it. CDC it is.

8 hours ago, ice orca said:

Edler and Hansen aint going to get those two.

youre right...  an offer sheet (1st, 2nd, 3rd)  is the proposal to get one.

also wasnt a legit proposal lol.  if you actually read the post you should be able to glean that for yourself.

Just now, ice orca said:

So how are you going to get Landy  when Edler says no to move?

actually, hypothetically I think TB would be an attractive destination for any NHler right now...  Beautiful weather, contending team, not much not to like.

again...  this wasnt a proposal.  read the actual post.... :P = silly....  as in not serious.

On September 23, 2016 at 9:39 PM, DeNiro said:

His raise doesn't go into effect until next season.

if im tampa i get drouins value you up in season and trade him for more d help maybe theodore or lindholm or similar defensive prospects. tampa needs more players on entry level deals  otherwise they will lose a good vet or two by teams poaching them in summer and expansion as well

On September 23, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Provost said:

As per Hockeybuzz, there have been rumblings about teams giving an offer sheet to Kucherov once the World Cup is done.  One of the teams noted was the Canucks.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Source-Rumblings-of-an-Offer-Sheet-for-Nikita-Kucherov--Buzz-330/1/79398

As entertaining as the idea might be (he plays both wings so could bump down either Hansen or Baertschi), I don't see Benning as the offer sheet type.

We do actually have the picks to be eligible to though, I would assume in the $5.6 to $7.5 range which means a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd.  Doubt he signs for $5.5 which is the 1st and 3rd.

I would rather see a sign and trade happen with Tampa if they don't think they can sign him.  As Tampa would want roster players for right now rather than futures.

We have the picks.  Plus another late first, sorry CBJ's second. We would likely grab some other picks over the season. For Kucherov I would do it. Not likely but JB needs to leave stone unturned. 

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 1:21 PM, JohnLocke said:

If we should offer sheet anyone, it's Gaudreau. 

Sign him for 8.5milx8.

If Calgary matches, we've managed to screw Calgary for the next 8 years.

If Calgary doesn't match, we get Johnny Hockey. 

This would be brutal Gaydreau is nowhere near a 8.5 million hockey player.

All this little rat does is bring a great offensive game but is pretty much useless at every other part of the game and as soft as a 130 lb girl.

I hope the Flames give him 8.5 for 8 it will be a big step in them never having any playoff success if they get lucky enough to make it lol

On 9/23/2016 at 0:05 PM, Provost said:

As per Hockeybuzz, there have been rumblings about teams giving an offer sheet to Kucherov once the World Cup is done.  One of the teams noted was the Canucks.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Source-Rumblings-of-an-Offer-Sheet-for-Nikita-Kucherov--Buzz-330/1/79398

As entertaining as the idea might be (he plays both wings so could bump down either Hansen or Baertschi), I don't see Benning as the offer sheet type.

We do actually have the picks to be eligible to though, I would assume in the $5.6 to $7.5 range which means a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd.  Doubt he signs for $5.5 which is the 1st and 3rd.

I would rather see a sign and trade happen with Tampa if they don't think they can sign him.  As Tampa would want roster players for right now rather than futures.

I can see Benning doing this actually if its under the 5.6 per mark. 2017 is supposed to be a weaker draft year than 2018, and much weaker than 2016. 

So, Kucherov would almost certainly be superior to anything you'd get for a 2017 1st and 3rd. So maybe even higher and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. A 1st line of Kucherov-Horvat-Boeser taking over from the twins works for me. Its burning an entire draft year, but then you've got your next 1st line. Given that we already have our future D and goalies... I dunno, it doesn't seem that far fetched. 

The issue to me is more does Kurcherov want to play here vs. anything else. He certainly would get the ice time and make a huge impact, but Tampa has its window to win now. 

Canucks do not have the assets to try to get any of TBs young guys including Palat never mind Kucherov.

An offer sheet will do two things for this franchise though:

1) Ensure that TB matches and keeps Kucherov and/or Calgary matches and keeps Gaudreau

2) Ensure that Vancouver loses its prized young guns (all two or three of them) to offer sheets in retaliation. (That said Vancouver is already the most hated franchise is NHL history so i guess it cant really get any worse from a reputation standpoint)

Not worth it imo.

I don't see the big deal in worrying about offer sheets, I don't see any retaliatory actions in any recent offer sheets except the Backes/Bernier time. If the offer sheet puts us in a tight cap space and they want to offer sheet our players, well I'll take the draft picks in the better draft year plus have Kucherov. If any team offers Hutton more than 3.6 million a year, we take the picks, but if less then we match. Horvat is worth more, but I'd be surprised if a team makes an offer for him that we can't match that doesn't cripple their own team in the process.

Archived