The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Borna Rendulic

Bandwagon38

33 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Thanks, sounds like another good find by Benning

Could very well be.

A Croatian hockey fan I talk to from time to time speaks very highly of him. Don't know how much of this is just nationalistic fervour for a countryman (I'm guilty of this with Danish players). But he's a pretty knowledgable guy who actually watched Rendulic first hand quite a bit when he was coming up so I give some weight to his opinion.

I also love how Rendulic describes himself and how aware he is of his own strengths and weaknesses. You can't come away from that interview without feeling like this is a very smart hockey player. And I definitely have a soft spot for smart players (as evidenced by how highly I rate Gaunce).

12 hours ago, chon derry said:

yes ,i usually grab a pint of this when i go to stewart bc  hyder alaska is only 1 mile away . p.r. isn't very far from alaska.

I have been "Hyderized". You have to take a few shoots of the ever clear in Hyder, you wake up with a card, you won't likely remember.   try not to get eaten by a grizzly when you stumble around s@$t faced. 

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I have been "Hyderized". You have to take a few shoots of the ever clear in Hyder, you wake up with a card, you won't likely remember.   try not to get eaten by a grizzly when you stumble around s@$t faced. 

you know the drill...

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

you know the drill...

I met a biker club out of Rhode Island that rose there to have Canada day in BC and the 4th of July in Alaska. They were called the 'Wolf Pack'. Got me blotto and Hyderized. Crazy place. 

Just got to remember that they don't have Horses or livestock. Any animal bigger than a dog is a bear, and they are everywhere. 

44 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I met a biker club out of Rhode Island that rose there to have Canada day in BC and the 4th of July in Alaska. They were called the 'Wolf Pack'. Got me blotto and Hyderized. Crazy place. 

Just got to remember that they don't have Horses or livestock. Any animal bigger than a dog is a bear, and they are everywhere. 

so did you leave a 20 on the wall ? or just a 5er. lol  if you look close enough there is a few 100s up there ,don't worry the bartender knows where they are :ph34r:

By McIntyre in The Province:  http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/from-croatia-with-love-for-hockey-rendulic-trying-to-make-history-with-canucks

From Croatia with love for hockey, Rendulic trying to make history with Canucks

WHISTLER – The greatest player in the history of Croatian hockey was playing poker with his friends in Zagreb when he hit the jackpot and signed with the Vancouver Canucks.

All Borna Rendulic has to do now is actually make the National Hockey League team. The Canucks appear to be giving him a fair chance, playing the 24-year-old winger at training camp alongside Sven Baertschi and Bo Horvat.

Granted, the Croat may only be keeping those core NHL players company until Canuck Jannik Hansen returns from the World Cup. But Rendulic has gone through a lot to have this chance and does not plan to go meekly to the Utica Comets, which is likely where he is headed.

Croatia has only 562 registered players among its population of nearly 4.5 million, so Rendulic left home at age 15 to play junior hockey in Finland.

“Hockey in Croatia is pretty bad,” he said before Sunday’s scrimmage here. “Two indoor rinks in the whole country. My age, when I was younger, there was only one team. So it was pretty tough to make it and I knew I wanted to do this, so I moved to Finland when I was 15 years old and spent seven years there. I did all junior, then signed as pro, then signed with Colorado.

“It’s been really hard. When you come from a different country, you are like the import. You’ve got to get used to the life and the language and all the things around you. I was really lucky to have good people who taught me how to play hockey.”

He signed his first NHL deal two years ago with the Colorado Avalanche, for which Rendulic played three games. But last season he had 16 goals and 38 points in the American Hockey League with San Antonio, and when the Avalanche chose not to qualify Rendulic and he became a free agent on July 1, the Canucks signed him to a two-way deal that includes a healthy $200,000 if he plays in the AHL this season.

He is 6-foot-2 and fast, and plays a straight north-south game.

“My agent called me one night,” Rendulic said. “I was playing poker with my friends; it was like 11 p.m. He said: ‘Are you interested in playing for the Canucks?’ I said: ‘Yeah, what’s the deal?’ After 10 minutes, I called him back and said ‘Yeah, I’ll sign with the Canucks.’”

Goran Bezina is believed to be the first Croatian to play in the NHL when he logged three games with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2003-04. But Bezina grew up in Switzerland, and Rendulic said he is the first player born and raised in Croatia to play in the NHL.

“In the hockey world there, I’m kind of famous,” he said. “But it’s not like I’m famous in the country.”

Maybe he’ll be famous in this one.

On 24/09/2016 at 11:35 PM, chon derry said:

that was the reason i stopped going way back then it was getting down right dangerous unsupervised jet boat races ,dirt bike,dune buggies you name it. to crazy for me .

i could never even get near terrace without people trying to fight me for not being from there.

on the other hand, mushroom picking in october in the nass were spectacularly enjoyable times!

Another guy I am excited to see with the Comets this year.  Very athletic.  A little Green time is going to do him a world of good.  I bet he gets a call up this year if there is a normal distribution of injuries.  

Virtanen probably starts here too this year.  We are going to have some horses in the forward position.  D looks a little less intimidating.  

On 2016-10-05 at 4:31 PM, hobart16 said:

Another guy I am excited to see with the Comets this year.  Very athletic.  A little Green time is going to do him a world of good.  I bet he gets a call up this year if there is a normal distribution of injuries.  

Virtanen probably starts here too this year.  We are going to have some horses in the forward position.  D looks a little less intimidating.  

Lucky to have Pedan clear waivers, Stetcher should bring some great fitness and speed.. not sure if you get Brisboise this season,. But hope you do, he is a diamond in the rough.

Rendulic just needs someone like TG to mentor him.. young man has all the tools, he and LaBate should be tough to play against.

Hope every one I've mentioned here gets a chance to show again in Vancouver, they are all worthy.

Pedan will stick with us once theres' some minor movement.

Archived