The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MLB star Jose Fernandez dies in a boating accident

AriGold

13 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

In all seriousness, there is something about team mate tragedies that hits me deep. I dont know why, but it goes to the core. 

I'm the same way, and since we're on a sports forum your revelation comes as no surprise to me. While Fernandez's death was a tragedy, the way the beginning of the night played out was for movies.  

• 1 month later...

Autopsy: Fernandez drunk, had cocaine in blood when he died

A toxicology report released Saturday by the Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner's Office showed Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez was drunk by nearly double the legal limit and had cocaine in his blood when he died along with two friends in a September boating accident:

Fernandez had a blood-alcohol level of 0.147, which was well above the legal limit of 0.08.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1140707

I guess the news outlets are obligated to report the news, but for me, this last revelation doesn't change my opinion of Fernandez at all. He's young, rich and was off duty. It's unfortunate that they decided to mix intoxicants with boating, but my understanding was that JF was not piloting the boat, so this remains a tragedy in my books.

Archived