The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins extend F Brad Marchand [8 year x $6.125M AAV]

Mackcanuck

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder if Marchand was hoping to go into free agency next season and end up with Pittsburgh. While Sharthand is as dirty a player as there is, there is no denying the electricity of his play with Crosby as of late. Truly outstanding stuff.

The NMC/NTC probably helped bring the money down a bit to keep him. 

Excellent player. Was a must for Boston to get inked down.

Vital piece who can click with anyone he plays with. Just look at him with Crosby in the WCOH. Remember all the talks events past, "who is going to be Crosby's linemates and will they be able to find chemistry"? Yea, well Marchand blew that out of the water and there hasn't been a single mention of it this time around. He just makes it work.

As much as I hate his face and for what he did against us in the SCF, got to give credit where credit is due. Highly efficient player who does it all.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Incredibly talented offensive player. Term is long, but gotta keep him.

The length is probably why they got him below market value.

I find it crazy how many max contract deals are being thrown by teams now. If you compare it to Luongo when he got his 12 year extension, there were relatively few players getting long deals, and those were elite players like Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin. Now it seems like 8 years is the going term for any solid top 6 forward.

2 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Still has another year on his current. He'll be a 37 year old rat in Boston making 6.125 lolololololol

While I am not a fan of Marchand at all, his contract will look a heck of a lot better than Burrows' when he is still putting up far far more points instead of making 4.5M as a "great mentor to the young players" with little to nothing else of value.

53 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Some of you need to get over yourselves.

Marchand is an amazing player.

^this

Yes he spit all over Vancouver during and after the SCF but he is a great player and arguably better than any player on the Canucks roster at this point in time (I do not mean the Sedins from 4-5 years ago, or Juolevi in 5yrs etc...)

1 hour ago, IbanezRG said:

If I was Pittsburgh id probably try and trade for Marchand. 

Kessel for Marchand? 

You'd be giving up a big part of a third line that can score like a top 6. Also don't think Boston would want to trade an important team player for a player that they got rid of before. He's the kind of player that encompasses everything Boston doesn't like in a player. As cool as it would be to see Marchand next to Crosby, I just don't think Pittsburgh has the pieces to acquire Marchand. 

Love Marchands skill, speed, and offence.

But I still hate him, not for the rabbit punches but for the gutless clip on Salo (that pretty much ended his career) and then blatantly lying about some BS about protecting himself.

Salo would never intentionally hurt anyone, he was a gentleman player.

Too much term. People thinking Louie has a bad contract, look at this. This guy plays an agressive style of play which makes him a really good player rn, but 5 years down the road he is gonna be a completely different player. Louie plays a cerebral game like the Sedins and I expect him to play well up until his contract is up.

Everyone has an Oswald Cobblepot. 

Their rat is:

Marchand @ 6.125M who had 61 points last season.

Our rats are:

Dorsett @ 2.650M who had 16 points last season

Burrows @ 4.500M who had 22 points last season

We're paying 7.150M for 38 points from two players who barely deserve to play these days.

Boston is still winning...

Our only advantage is that we're not stuck with either contract for 8 more years.

Archived