The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Oiler Mascot

Mackcanuck

3 hours ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

I know you're kidding, but for those who don't know, the Oilers original owner was Bill Hunter. The mascot is named after him.

Apparently the Oilers marketing department ran some focus groups with a bunch of 12 year olds, and Hunter the Lynx is what they chose (according to Sportsnet or TSN; I can't remember exactly who said it).  Maybe it was Sam Katz's kid (you know, the one who looks like Ronald McDonald and carries the jersey to the draft podium) who made the call.

23 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Apparently the Oilers marketing department ran some focus groups with a bunch of 12 year olds, and Hunter the Lynx is what they chose (according to Sportsnet or TSN; I can't remember exactly who said it).  Maybe it was Sam Katz's kid (you know, the one who looks like Ronald McDonald and carries the jersey to the draft podium) who made the call.

That sounds reasonable, but that's not what the local news outlets are saying about the name. Maybe the focus group picked the animal and the team picked the name?

20 hours ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

That sounds reasonable, but that's not what the local news outlets are saying about the name. Maybe the focus group picked the animal and the team picked the name?

You would be correct, X-Pat...from what I heard, the kids picked the mascot.  The rest I am conjecturing.

On September 27, 2016 at 5:33 PM, X-PatLostInEdm said:

I know you're kidding, but for those who don't know, the Oilers original owner was Bill Hunter. The mascot is named after him.

I thought he was called Hunter because he's always hunting for the first overall draft pick...

Archived