The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzie on 8 pending RFAs

Ossi Vaananen

Some interesting stuff there. Trouba trade will be pricey in terms of pieces moved, in addition to having to sign him to a big deal. Tampa might be screwed. Rieder could flee to KHL. I don't like many of the comparables, but it shows how far apart teams and players are. 

interesting stuff coming out now too.

he says Trouba wouldn't sign an offer sheet because if/when Winnipeg matches he'd be back in the same spot he's in now. my question would be, what about the one year offer that would turn him into a UFA, like we were contemplating with Weber a few years back.

also, Johnny Hockey can't be offer sheeted because he's a specific type of no-rights RFA. weird.

Drouin and Callahan for

Hansen + Burrows (50%) + CBJ 2nd round pick.

That gives bolts, 7.8 million to get a Kucherov deal to get done this year.  Next year they free up Bishop’s salary and the remaining Burrows contract, for a total of 8.25 extra cap space to sign Palat and Johnson to extensions. 

We take on the big cap dump of Callahan at 5 years at the cost of Drouin.  Hansen and CBJ’s 2nd round pick help TB bring in some assets for help now and potential the future.  It does put canucks in a cap crunch for the next few years as we have our own youth looking to get big contract extensions.    Burrows, Miller and Hansen (12 million) would all be off the books but Horvat, Hutton, Drouin, and Gudbranson would be up for extensions.  And with Callahan’s cap of 5.8 we’d only have around 8-9 million to get those deals done, it would be very tight.  Somehow we’d have to move out over priced contracts like Sbisa and Dorsett to make it work. 

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Drouin and Callahan for

That gives bolts, 7.8 million to get a Kucherov deal to get done this year.  Next year they free up Bishop’s salary and the remaining Burrows contract, for a total of 8.25 extra cap space to sign Palat and Johnson to extensions. 

We take on the big cap dump of Callahan at 5 years at the cost of Drouin.  Hansen and CBJ’s 2nd round pick help TB bring in some assets for help now and potential the future.  It does put canucks in a cap crunch for the next few years as we have our own youth looking to get big contract extensions.    Burrows, Miller and Hansen (12 million) would all be off the books but Horvat, Hutton, Drouin, and Gudbranson would be up for extensions.  And with Callahan’s cap of 5.8 we’d only have around 8-9 million to get those deals done, it would be very tight.  Somehow we’d have to move out over priced contracts like Sbisa and Dorsett to make it work. 

Wow!  I didn't expect that type of trade proposal from you.  I love the concept of this trade, and your reasons supporting it.  I would give you hugs and kisses, but (Alas) you must settle for only one measly plus.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Drouin and Callahan for

That's actually fairly reasonable....but I don't want to hamstring the team with Callahan's cap hit for 5 years.

Man Arizona talking about 250k... come up give the guy the money. 

Risto and Lind really don't deserve anything but bridge deals if they want ekblad money they should earn it... same with trouba 

Kucherov should be north of Monny 7+ 

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Drouin and Callahan for

I'd be pretty happy with that. Callahan is still serviceable and Drouin is a stud in the making. 

Wonder if J.B. would want to go for Rieder if Arizona decides he's too expensive?  Maybe we could part with another 2nd rounder for him when he has upside.  Alternatively maybe the team could decide to bring in Alex Tanguay if he hasn't re-signed.  Even at 36 he was a 0.5 p.p.g. player and he can probably work well with Sutter as his setup man (at worst he'll be competition with Sheppard and Ruutu as the PTO's).

Don't see Kucherov working out here.

There's lots of chance for JB to poach one of these teams when they're desperate to move cap around and players. Those are some big names that clubs will likely want to re-sign somehow, but with that comes a lot of other available players. If I were JB I'd go hunting in Tampa Bay for a possible top-6 forward who may be expendable to shed some cap and we wouldn't have to give much back apart from perhaps a prospect (Subban?) or pick.

Archived