The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

26 minutes ago, Pears said:

Ah yes, because after one pro season and one preseason game in the big league means his time is done here. 

Please...

Due to signing Stecher who has very much the similar skill set and more bumps Subban down the depth chart.

Put it all together, and you can see management thinks Subban is a good player, but not the right fit for this organization.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Goodness with the Subban whining. He's a talented offensive D who needs a LOT more development time learning to play in his own end and against men. There's nothing wrong with him being sent down to get that development time you bunch of emos... :rolleyes:

I really have no issue with him being sent down, it's just I wanted him to get more pre-season games to show just stuff before being sent down.

1 minute ago, ice orca said:

Well this is the million dollar question that we will find out soon when the money games start.

Larsen being more polished/less of a liability/more developed than Subban is not really a question let alone a million dollar one.

Whether that's enough to keep Larsen in the NHL lineup ahead of other options is a question however.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Goodness with the Subban whining. He's a talented offensive D who needs a LOT more development time learning to play in his own end and against men. There's nothing wrong with him being sent down to get that development time you bunch of emos... :rolleyes:

I wonder how many 'Nucks fans are cutters and are sitting on the toilet with a razor right now?

8 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Due to signing Stecher who has very much the similar skill set and more bumps Subban down the depth chart.

Put it all together, and you can see management thinks Subban is a good player, but not the right fit for this organization.

Not the 'right fit for the organization' is a bit of a rash statement..Coaching staff is probably fully aware of Subbans limitations ..but haven't seen enough of Stecher against NHL players..

Realistically,...neither player is/was expected to crack the top 8 on the D.

Subban has strengths and weaknesses like all NHL players.

At this point his defensive weaknesses are simply to big to compensate for his offensive skills.

He needs to get to Utica  - work on his D game  - have a great full season of development.

Lets see what he brings next yr to Canucks pre season.

NOT a big deal.  D Men take  years to get to NHL level.  Look at Guddy's struggles .

Subban is  3-4 years away in my opinion from a canuck roster spot. 

No criticism on Subban.  Cracking the NHL as a D man can be a long transition especially when you smaller body size.....

Patience people. Patience...   Give Subban a few more years to cook / stew  / develop in Utica. 

Subban is going into his 2nd pro season. Spending a 2nd season or even a 3rd is not the end of the world. He was not going to make the Canucks this year. Management has to figure out what Larsson, Pedan and Tryamkin have to offer, plain and simple. Stecher gets an extended look because he is older and has more experience than Subban playing against men. Highly unlikely he plays any regular season games either. His Prospects performance probably made the decision easier over Subban.

46 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I really have no issue with him being sent down, it's just I wanted him to get more pre-season games to show just stuff before being sent down.

He played a lot at the Young Stars tournament, and was not very impressive.  Multiple penalties, out in the neutral zone when scored on, etc.  His fate was sealed two weeks ago.

Subban is only 21!  As Boudrias says his going into only his 2nd pro season!  It's not the end of the world!  I believe he will play well in Utica and benefit big time from top pairing ice time.

All the garbage spewing out like "he is done, never play a game for Vancouver, treated unfairly, needs to have multiple games" blah blah is gross over reaction. 

I'm about to use the worst CDC phrase of all time - this is effective "asset management".  (just threw up a little in my mouth)  He is not in the top eight, he can clear waivers, and he will benefit enormously from another year under Travis Green. 

If he's not going to beat out Sbisa, Larsen, Pedan, Tryamkin, Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Gudbranson don't waste time and get him to Utica.

Go for it Jordan!  We are pulling for you!!

Archived