The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Andrew Shaw suspended 3 games

Doesn't seem like enough TBH, matter of fact all suspensions should start in the regular season.  In other words preseason games shouldn't count as time served so to speak because who's to say what games he would've played anyways.  My two cents.

Just now, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

How many times have we seen a guy move to a new team and hear all summer that "he's gonna bring grit", only to see him focus disproportionately on acting tough?  Reminds me of Clarkson jumping off the bench in his first game.  Here's hoping Lucic gets into some epic suspensions this year.

To be fair. His action was a reaction to being slew footed earlier in the play. Had nothing to do with "acting tough". He just lost his head and delivered a dirty hit in retaliation. Totally suspension worthy. But I don't think his motivation was premeditated 

Just now, qwijibo said:

To be fair. His action was a reaction to being slew footed earlier in the play. Had nothing to do with "acting tough". He just lost his head and delivered a dirty hit in retaliation. Totally suspension worthy. But I don't think his motivation was premeditated 

True...this may not be him trying to live up to the hype.  But wasn't he slew-footed by a different player?  Guys that lose their cool and run around like that tend to be liabilities; he may find himself in this position a lot as that is not a tough team.  I don't really like the player, but he can definitely play.  This just seemed like shade of Ben Eager, and it made me smile.  I do wish there were real punishments in the NHL though.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

True...this may not be him trying to live up to the hype.  But wasn't he slew-footed by a different player?  Guys that lose their cool and run around like that tend to be liabilities; he may find himself in this position a lot as that is not a tough team.  I don't really like the player, but he can definitely play.  This just seemed like shade of Ben Eager, and it made me smile.  I do wish there were real punishments in the NHL though.

Yeah. Was a different player. I don't think he cared. He was pissed and saw an opportunity to deliver some punishment. It was a bonehead move through and through 

32 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Is that not the definition of pre-meditated.

33 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Is that not the definition of pre-meditated.

I think the poster meant not premeditated in the sense that he wasn't planning it before puck drop. 

Reacting to something within a minute of it happening isn't really a premeditated action IMO

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

? WTF ?  Punish the act not the intent is what needs to be done by the DOPES !

Regardless of intent the act happened and if they actually start handing out legitimate suspensions for savage hits/plays we will actually see players clean up the crap.   The league in terms of players safety is an utter f...king joke.

4 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

? WTF ?  Punish the act not the intent is what needs to be done by the DOPES !

Regardless of intent the act happened and if they actually start handing out legitimate suspensions for savage hits/plays we will actually see players clean up the crap.   The league in terms of players safety is an utter f...king joke.

I don't get how the act has more importance than the intent??

It's like when they show "no injury" at the end of that video.... who gives a f* if there was an injury or not? IMO it should be ONLY the intent of the penalized player that is taken into account.

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

How many times have we seen a guy move to a new team and hear all summer that "he's gonna bring grit", only to see him focus disproportionately on acting tough?  Reminds me of Clarkson jumping off the bench in his first game.  Here's hoping Lucic gets into some epic suspensions this year.

Just not from hitting one of our guys.

6 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I don't get how the act has more importance than the intent??

It's like when they show "no injury" at the end of that video.... who gives a f* if there was an injury or not? IMO it should be ONLY the intent of the penalized player that is taken into account.

So because there was no injury it is ok ?  Regardless of intent careless or reckless hits can and will lead to serious injury.  Intent of course  must be taken into consideration. I f there is clear intent then throw the dam book a them....... but lets say  if you hit from behind into the boards even with oput intent hand out a legitimate suspension ffs. Players livelihoods and health are at stake.

It definitely seems as if he has a temper issue, which is an issue in an agitator. At his best he is acting the pest and riling up his opponents. But that doesn't work well when you get all hot and bothered faster than they do. On the the reasons that Lappy was effective was the ability to skate away with a shot-eating grin, rather than raging out in return and taking 30 minutes of penalties. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

So because there was no injury it is ok ?  Regardless of intent careless or reckless hits can and will lead to serious injury.  Intent of course  must be taken into consideration. I f there is clear intent then throw the dam book a them....... but lets say  if you hit from behind into the boards even with oput intent hand out a legitimate suspension ffs. Players livelihoods and health are at stake.

My point was the exact opposite.. outcome shouldn't matter so doesn't matter if there is an injury or not.

As for reckless play w/o intent, I agree with you but I think players like that are already getting suspended plenty (Torres for example I don't believe ever had malicious intent yet was given long suspensions left and right). A hit from behind is a reckless play, even if unintentional, so I also agree with you there.

Archived