The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Good defense create good offense

I am not so sure about forward line combinations yet, but I think with this defense there will be much less time spent in our zone this year. With huge Mobil defensemen like Gudbrandson, Pedan, and Tryamkin no one is going to enjoy their time there. With Hutton, Tanev, Edler, Stecher, and Sbisa rounding out the rest. Sbisa will be left unprotected at the expansion draft and I don't think Larsen is of any value at least from what I have seen. 

While the theory has more truth to it than trickle down economics, I think it's overused and overrated.  Of course you want a good defence that has offence coming from it, but you can't ignore building the forward groups either.  

7 hours ago, mrtripdarren said:

I am not so sure about forward line combinations yet, but I think with this defense there will be much less time spent in our zone this year. With huge Mobil defensemen like Gudbrandson, Pedan, and Tryamkin no one is going to enjoy their time there. With Hutton, Tanev, Edler, Stecher, and Sbisa rounding out the rest. Sbisa will be left unprotected at the expansion draft and I don't think Larsen is of any value at least from what I have seen. 

Why is this Its own topic?

7 hours ago, mrtripdarren said:

I get your drift.  You a saying "a good group of defencemen" helps generate offence.  Yup.  That's why Stecher needs to play with Edler, Hutton needs to play with Gudbranson, and Larsen needs to play with Sbisa.  It's a group of excellent d pairs, each with offence skills.  

Tanev is not on my list.  Gudbranson takes his spot with Hutton, and Stecher with Edler.  Tanev is too good to play third pair minutes, so...?  

Stetcher looked good with Edler yes, but Edler is a top defensemen and its totally unrealistic to think that Stetch is capable of playing top pairing minutes this season despite how good he looked. Hutton had an unreal rookie season last year and despite that he really suffered down the stretch run because he was asked to do too much. Stetch should be left in the AHL for the majority of the year and given top 4 match ups there and lets keep the waiver available russians up and see what they can do

1 hour ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Stetcher looked good with Edler yes, but Edler is a top defensemen and its totally unrealistic to think that Stetch is capable of playing top pairing minutes this season despite how good he looked. Hutton had an unreal rookie season last year and despite that he really suffered down the stretch run because he was asked to do too much. Stetch should be left in the AHL for the majority of the year and given top 4 match ups there and lets keep the waiver available russians up and see what they can do

I totally agree. Best way to Develop defence is to let them play and be coached. The AHL is there for a reason. This would also allow Stetcher and Subban compete with one another for those top minutes. Athletes always perform best when competition surrounds them.

The thing is, you play Stetcher with Edler, Tanev with Sbisa. but also give Edler and Tanev some ES and PK time together. Stetcher doesn't need to play 23 minutes a game to play with edler, Give him 12min ES and some PP time for a total around 16 minutes and your golden. The rest of the time Edler plays, play him with Tanev.

This thread is genius. On a similar note I'm going to start a thread that promotes scoring more than the other team = more wins. Then I'll follow this up with a thread about goaltending...something along the lines like "good goaltending means less goals against".

I know I'm being a douche...but sometimes I just can't help myself.

On 10/2/2016 at 8:19 AM, Wilbur said:

While the theory has more truth to it than trickle down economics, I think it's overused and overrated.  Of course you want a good defence that has offence coming from it, but you can't ignore building the forward groups either.  

With good defense the offence has more time with the puck. It doesn't mean your forwards are any good. 

Archived