The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Preseason Oct. 2nd - Canucks vs. Sharks 5 PM PST

Ossi Vaananen

Line up is out there, but no thread to discuss it!

So I made this one.

Ctx4P0cWgAAGPWK.jpg

Kuzma Preview: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-game-day-new-challenge-for-new-dad-etem-labate-is-great-gaunce-4-0

Canucks host Sharks

Points to ponder as the Canucks prepare to face the Sharks today at Rogers Arena in a 5 p.m. start (Sportsnet, TEAM1040):

1. A new dad, new challenge for Etem

The Canucks aren’t afraid to make tough roster decisions and with the inspired play of wingers Joseph Labate, Jack Skille and Borna Rendulic — plus a short look at Alex Grenier who cleared waivers Sunday — and Emerson Etem knows he’s not a roster lock. He’s playing on a fourth line tonight with Brendan Gaunce and Derek Dorsett and needs to convince coach Willie Desjardins that he can play a complete game.

If that isn’t enough, he became a first-time father Thursday night.

“We’re having a more competitive camp and we have a lot of guys who are pushing and everybody knows that,” said Desjardins. “Etem has speed and he’s heavy, he’s good down low and taking pucks to the net. He’s got to use his body more and be more physical. He put up three goals in his last four games last season and he’s got to get on that side of it as well.”

Etem’s one-year, one-way, $775,000 US show-us contract extension in the off-season was a motivational nudge for the restricted free agent, who dropped some weight. He needs to combine a presence with more than the seven goals he managed in 39 games. If that isn’t enough, son Laulo Cortez Etem arrived earlier than scheduled.

“I haven’t had much sleep in the last few nights, but I’m pretty excited,” said Etem. “There’s a job at hand and I’ve got to put food on the table and that’s just extra motivation and I think it’s going to help my play.

“I feel strong and that’s good sign. I have to focus on the little things and they obviously want to see me finishing checks on the forecheck and get to the net.”

2. No debate, Labate has been great

One strong outing doesn’t ensure a roster spot, but Joseph Labate, 23, did more in one game against Edmonton to earn a longer pre-season look and perhaps bump somebody out of the lineup. Against the Oilers, the 6-foot-5, 205 pound fourth-round pick of 2011 threw two heavy hits and showed a strong stride.

“He has stood out,” said Desjardins. “He’s probably a guy I targeted to go down earlier, but with how hard he’s played and his willingness to battle, that gives him another look.”

Labate had 10 goals and 10 assists in 66 AHL games in Utica last season and has taken his game to another level. You notice him when he’s out there.

“What I bring has caught some eyes and I’m getting some positive re-enforcement, which is pretty special,” said Labate. “You’re always learning and I’m just trying to embrace this.”

3. Make it four in a row for Gaunce

It’s hard to imagine Brendan Gaunce, 22, not cracking the roster after being one of the last cuts a year ago. He’s been noticeable in the middle as a strong and reliable centre who has been good in all zones. He has a pre-season goal, but his presence and stamina have resonated with the coaching staff as he prepares to play his fourth-straight pre-season game.

“That’s an indication that he’s playing well and he’s still going,” said Desjardins.

The versatility to play centre or wing — and the Canucks quest for a bigger presence down the middle — works for Gaunce. He might be in the opening-night lineup or be the extra forward, but he seems to have arrived.

“I’m trying to be a consistent difference-maker and not always offensively but in the game in general,” said Gaunce. “It’s confidence.”

OF NOTE — Winger Alex Grenier, 25, cleared waivers Sunday after a short camp look. Said Desjardins: “We had a lot of guys we wanted to look and he didn’t stand out so much that we couldn’t send him down. When he’s on and playing with passion, he’s a good player, but consistency has to be there.” Defenceman Guilliaume, 19, Brisebois has been returned to Charlottetown of the QMJHL.

Get to see two of the defensive pairings I wanted to see in the same game!

Really wanted to see what Stecher could do with Edler again, see if they have a strong game together, and Olli with Tanev is something I wanted to see since the start :)

potential 2nd/4th lines out there tonight (although I'd rather see Granlund play C and Gaunce wing) 

a bit surprised that Sheppard (and to some extent Ruutu) are still getting games while Skille sits. I have a feeling none of these guys are going to get offers (other than a 2-way)

Glad that Stecher is getting another game with Edler. While I don't necessarily believe this is an audition for a roster spot (this year at least--as I could definitely see that being a future pairing), it's still extremely helpful in gauging Stecher's NHL readiness (as opposed to pairing Stecher with a non-NHL quality partner). 

Fun line up to see tonight.  Really interested in how rodin fairs with bo and baer.  Like seeing Gaunce again. Looks like he is on the team if he can remain consistant or grow through a series of quick games. Also looks like virtanen may end up on a conditioning stint with Utica to start the season.

9 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If Rodin finds chemistry with Bo and Sven does that mean Virt goes to Utica? That would be my guess anyways.

I am not sure it would matter.  Media, Shorthouse, Woodley all believe that it's Hansen's spot. 

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

potential 2nd/4th lines out there tonight (although I'd rather see Granlund play C and Gaunce wing) 

a bit surprised that Sheppard (and to some extent Ruutu) are still getting games while Skille sits. I have a feeling none of these guys are going to get offers (other than a 2-way)

Ya, I don't like it either. It seems PTO guys like Ruutu/Sheppard are getting games to showcase themselves elsewhere. I honestly think they both should have been released, as Skille is the only one that looks close. 

Archived