The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hodgson accepts role with Preds youth hockey program

elvis15

Going to be alot of salty posts here. I still feel if he allowed himself to progress through our system he would have been a serviceable second liner. He had so much talent. His skating was an obvious weakness. I still want to hear the story as to why he demanded a trade. He said one day that he'd reveal his side.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's actually kinda sad.  A few years ago he was highly sought after, but now at the ripe old age of 26, he's accepting a pity job just so he can be around hockey.

I think it would be more prideful to go to Europe. Maybe he thinks he has made money, and doesn't need to work. 

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's actually kinda sad.  A few years ago he was highly sought after, but now at the ripe old age of 26, he's accepting a pity job just so he can be around hockey.

- Get drafted into the NHL

- Play a few "good" years of hockey to earn a massive contract

- Then get paid a sizeable amount of that contract to "not play" anymore

- Get one year deal (still a lot of money) compared to the rest of society

- Decide to not play anymore and be apart of Nashville's youth program. Not only staying apart of organization, but effectively giving back to the community

The guy is literally living the dream.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

- Decide to not play anymore and be apart of Nashville's youth program. Not only staying apart of organization, but effectively giving back to the community

Okay, it's hard to argue when you put it like that. 

Still though, it's a bummer when you consider the career this guy could have had if things had gone differently for him. 

9 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think it would be more prideful to go to Europe. Maybe he thinks he has made money, and doesn't need to work.

My post has nothing to do with pride.  I think it's sad that he went from such a high to such a low as quickly as he did.

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

I agree, but I'm sure he's still highly disappointed.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

I agree, but I'm sure he's still highly disappointed.

Definitely at first, but who knows at this point. He may have accepted his fate a year ago already. Willing to bet he spoke to a lot of people regarding his situation over the years; enough to get honest input from those that matter.

Obviously everyone is different. I know for me, if my current employer (who I'm actually doing incredibly well with and finally making an incredibly good living with) decided to "part ways" but give me a sizeable payout, I would absolutely be crushed. However, if after a period of time, an organization in the same industry (perhaps the same company) came to me and said "You know, obviously things didn't pan out in your last position; however, you were always a great representative to our organization and we'd love for you to be apart of it in another capacity." I would feel very honored and definitely appreciative that said organization still felt strongly about me as a person.

This is effectively what the Nashville Predators felt towards Hodgson. Obviously they weren't the ones who handed him a massive contract, but they did see him right at the end of his career. And while he did not contribute on the ice in the way they hoped, they obviously saw a young man who they felt would be a great ambassador to their organization in the community. One they feel would be great with the youth.

While many CDCers feel intense anger towards him (not you I know), they also do not know the entire story.

44 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

I'd listen to him.

"Cody, teach me to make enough money to retire on with no NHL caliber ability" 

You're joking right?

The guy has great skill, and put up points early on to prove that. His head and worth ethic were the issues. 

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

Going to be alot of salty posts here. I still feel if he allowed himself to progress through our system he would have been a serviceable second liner. He had so much talent. His skating was an obvious weakness. I still want to hear the story as to why he demanded a trade. He said one day that he'd reveal his side.

Wasn't his side essentially that his dad wanted him to get more minutes?

52 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

My post has nothing to do with pride.  I think it's sad that he went from such a high to such a low as quickly as he did.

'he's accepting a pity job just to be around hockey' - implies he couldn't find work elsewhere. I spoke to Europe as being a place where he could theoretically find a hockey contract. Semantics really.

2 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

'he's accepting a pity job just to be around hockey' - implies he couldn't find work elsewhere. I spoke to Europe as being a place where he could theoretically find a hockey contract. Semantics really.

K.  I get what you mean now.  Hopefully he'll be happy with his choice.

Archived