The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2016-2017] Canuck Prospect Stats Tracker

On October 28, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why is Castaways on our list? So we can punish our fans? 

Notice how our late picks are doing well? That's scary indeed. 

I like the Castaways section. Considering that the 3 former Canuck prospects on the list have a combined total of one NHL point so far, I don't think that too many Canuck fans are feeling punished by this section of the list.

On 10/28/2016 at 11:43 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why is Castaways on our list? So we can punish our fans? 

Notice how our late picks are doing well? That's scary indeed. 

Maybe it is because fans are actually interested in how former prospects are doing. 

If you think that I am punishing you by showing McCann's 8 gp 0G 0A 0Pts stat-line...

OP updated with stats through last night. 

On 2016-10-06 at 6:37 PM, Down by the River said:

Last Updated: Saturday October 29, 2016

This thread is for keeping track of Canucks prospects through the 2016-17 season. My definition of 'prospect' is mostly arbitrary. If there is someone you want on the list that hasn't been added, just let me know. 

FAQ:

Reveal hidden contents

1) How often will the thread be updated?

I plan to update about twice per month

2) Where do you get the stats from?

All stats are pulled from the player's HockeyDB page.

3) How are players sorted?

Players are sorted by league. Since some leagues (i.e., Europe, NCAA) are less likely to contain a large number of prospects, I have collapsed them into a single category.

4) How do I find a specific player quickly?

If you are looking for a specific player, players are sorted alphabetically by first name. Players marked by bold font are those who I would consider the Canucks' top prospects.

With%20the%20Club_zps3x172rcj.png

CHL_zpsxittvvig.png

In%20the%20Minors_zpsh733ookl.png

Other%20Leagues_zpsc9ri5u9f.png

Castaways_zpsapphb2sn.png

and a very big thank you for adding jensen to the castaways tracking

he really does seem to perform well in the ahl

he might end up have a long and decent career there

On 10/30/2016 at 10:31 AM, Down by the River said:

Maybe it is because fans are actually interested in how former prospects are doing. 

If you think that I am punishing you by showing McCann's 8 gp 0G 0A 0Pts stat-line...

Thanks for doing this. I do find it interesting to see the castaways as well as the current prospects.

On 2016-10-30 at 10:31 AM, Down by the River said:

He's struggling to produce for sure, but what might be of greater concern to Florida is the type of minutes he's not producing in.

His zone starts are extremely weighted for opportunity.

He's had 42% ozone starts, 16% dzone.

That's 72% of his zone starts in the ozone (O relative to D, as Behindthenet calculates it).  84% in the ozone and neutral zone.

Very sheltered,

At the same time however, Florida is missing Bjugstad - and like last year, they have a pretty weak/shallow bottom 6 forwards (imo) - so with guys like Marchessault and Sceviour producing as top 6 LWs, it's probably going to be difficult to find ideal minutes for McCann.

Also, what he did in the offseason - add significant weight to a slight frame - that's not necessarily conducive to the type of game he likes to play.  He's a quick, shifty player - when you have a body type that's ideally slight, it's not easy to maintain your strengths when you're piling 20lbs onto a young 6ft frame.

When I hear things like 'look out, he's added 20lbs' - that can go either way, particularly when your strengths lean towards speed, quickness, elusiveness....

But he's only 20yrs old.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him slim back down closer to the high 180s/190ish - that may be a better balance for him in the end.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

He's struggling to produce for sure, but what might be of greater concern to Florida is the type of minutes he's not producing in.

His zone starts are extremely weighted for opportunity.

He's had 42% ozone starts, 16% dzone.

That's 72% of his zone starts in the ozone (O relative to D, as Behindthenet calculates it).  84% in the ozone and neutral zone.

Very sheltered,

At the same time however, Florida is missing Bjugstad - and like last year, they have a pretty weak/shallow bottom 6 forwards (imo) - so with guys like Marchessault and Sceviour producing as top 6 LWs, it's probably going to be difficult to find ideal minutes for McCann.

Also, what he did in the offseason - add significant weight to a slight frame - that's not necessarily conducive to the type of game he likes to play.  He's a quick, shifty player - when you have a body type that's ideally slight, it's not easy to maintain your strengths when you're piling 20lbs onto a young 6ft frame.

When I hear things like 'look out, he's added 20lbs' - that can go either way, particularly when your strengths lean towards speed, quickness, elusiveness....

But he's only 20yrs old.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him slim back down closer to the high 180s/190ish - that may be a better balance for him in the end.

Completely agree. This happened to Linden Vey, it happened to Brandon Reid (though he was a fringe NHLer to begin with). 

Guys that are 5'9-5'11 shouldn't be trying to hit 195-200 pounds. It ruins their speed/elusiveness and the added weight just makes them a tweener, they're still going to lose a lot of battles. 

32 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

McKenzie is looking like a steal for a 7th round pick producing beyond PPG. He's going to be big part of this team's future

Let's not forget he was skipped over in the last draft if I'm not mistaken. we should temper our expectations look what dane fox did after we signed him. same age if I'm not mistaken. 

Archived