The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Discussion} Griffin Reinhart for Cheap??

OK, going to make this as simple as possible

22 years old.  6 foot 4.5 inches tall.  221 pounds.  Former 4th overall pick that was misused in New York then shuttled off to Edmonton where young players go to die.

He is a North Van boy who can actually skate VERY well and while not stand out amazing at any 1 point on defense was showing as a junior to be solid all around thus justifying his 4th overall status.

He is or should be cheap, he is local...should Benning try to pick him up?  Maybe see if we can entice his brothers over later as well with a home and bloodlines offer?

Edit** Wasn't aware he was still Oilers property (poor kid) edited title and thread for content

I believe his biggest detractor is he is slow and makes decisions slow as well, even if he is a good skater. Not sure he will ever make it in today's NHL. 

If he is free then sure. I wouldn't give up any prospects or picks. He is kinda redundant with Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa, and Pedan, NO?

My thought is that we've NEVER had a logjam on defence until recently.  We have a LOT of maybe players.  a lot of POSSIBLE prospects.  And then some serviceable ahl/nhl possible 5-8's

He's a decent skating large bodied defender.  For free.  At worst a decent AHL player at best a potential 4-6 D man.  Cannot argue with free and at 22 years old knowing how long it takes some D men to develop and how he was mistreated in NYI and EDM free is free...

Plus, I'd give anything to see him on the team and burning Edmonton at least once 

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Oilers traded a 16th and 33rd for him.

Then released him on Tuesday.  Cut, no team.  Free Agent or....something

needless to say if he isn't free, he's dirt cheap

He was assigned to their farm club.  The Oilers still maintain his rights...

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Oilers traded a 16th and 33rd for him.

Then released him on Tuesday.  Cut, no team.  Free Agent or....something

needless to say if he isn't free, he's dirt cheap

No he was sent to the AHL.

"Cut" in the NHL simply means (generally) cut from the NHL team.  Not the organization itself.

Griffin Reinhart is continuing his downward trend.

Following his "very poor camp" in the eyes of Sportsnet's Mark Spector, Reinhart has been sent to Bakersfield to start the season in the American Hockey League.

Reinhart, acquired for first- and second round picks at the Connor McDavid draft, made the Oilers out of camp last season, but was soon demoted.

He dressed in a total of 29 games, collecting an assist and 20 penalty minutes, while throwing 62 hits.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1121419-oilers-cut-griffin-reinhart

Regardless... pass.  The kids a bum.  He isn't going to cut it in the NHL.  He doesn't have any "wow" factor.  His all around mediocrity coupled with his poor foot speed will prevent him from doing anything meaningful in the NHL.  He's a big ol' bust.

8 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

He was assigned to their farm club.  The Oilers still maintain his rights...

Wasn't sure of that.  But if Yak is worth so little hard to think Reinhart isn't worth less.

6 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

"Cut" in the NHL simply means (generally) cut from the NHL team.  Not the organization itself.

Regardless... pass.  The kids a bum.  He isn't going to cut it in the NHL.  He doesn't have any "wow" factor.  His all around mediocrity coupled with his poor foot speed will prevent him from doing anything meaningful in the NHL.  He's a big ol' bust.

Not exactly leaning on Spector the rectum for quality opinion of anything Oiler related.

But I'd have taken a flyer on him had he been free.  Wasn't sure if he was still property or not.  Shame too because I think he's got that thing CDC loves so much

Potential

13 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Free? Hells yes. Nothing wrong with a free asset.

you do understand that an NHL club has a maximum of 50 contracts allowed at any time. Very simply it means that if we take on the contract of this player then we have to give up another player from the organization. Is he free? Sure. Is he worth more than his cost? Very doubtful. But then propose what contract you would let go of or this is a meaningless choice.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Wasn't sure of that.  But if Yak is worth so little hard to think Reinhart isn't worth less.

Not exactly leaning on Spector the rectum for quality opinion of anything Oiler related.

But I'd have taken a flyer on him had he been free.  Wasn't sure if he was still property or not.  Shame too because I think he's got that thing CDC loves so much

Potential

The article was just show that he was sent to the AHL.  Spector's opinion is irrelevant, but I mean clearly if he couldn't make the Oilers D he must have been pretty underwhelming.

And I'd argue otherwise.  He had potential.  He's not going to get it together.

9 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

A first and second pick to the Islanders for an AHL defenceman. If Chiarelli had not lucked out on McDavid, his work to date would have set the organization even further back then it was. As it is, even with McDavid, this team is going nowhere because of the terrible management.

Archived