The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Discussion} Griffin Reinhart for Cheap??

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm not going to pretend that I'm familiar with every player we have under contract, but it would shock me if we didn't have somebody under contract with less upside than Reinhart.

Well I suppose there is a chance that Reinhart could wake up one morning and be fast thinking. Maybe? But the bigger point I was making is that with everyone that we add, we have to lose someone else, so it's not like we should rush to pick up the Oilers' garbage. Sure the Oilers paid dearly for the Islanders' garbage, but that's the Oilers. Teams do not give up on big defencemen unless there is zero hope i.e. a fatal flaw.

My favourite team? Islanders. Least favourite? I don't have one, don't care enough. I just want entertaining hockey.

Now that that's out of the way, Reinhart is awful. He was too slow, and the Isles knew this. The fact that the Oilers scouting department didn't properly scout him, like at all, shouldn't cloud anyone's judgement around here.

And as others have already stated, he's not free. But even if he was? Pass. Hard pass. 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

OK, going to make this as simple as possible

22 years old.  6 foot 4.5 inches tall.  221 pounds.  Former 4th overall pick that was misused in New York then shuttled off to Edmonton where young players go to die.

He is a North Van boy who can actually skate VERY well and while not stand out amazing at any 1 point on defense was showing as a junior to be solid all around thus justifying his 4th overall status.

He is or should be cheap, he is local...should Benning try to pick him up?  Maybe see if we can entice his brothers over later as well with a home and bloodlines offer?

Edit** Wasn't aware he was still Oilers property (poor kid) edited title and thread for content

Being a 4th overall pick,  you would think GR wants to play professional hockey. Something, somehow, has gone terribly wrong here.

If I was a Canucks Scout, I would be trying to find out what has gone wrong.

As we here are now witnessing with big bodied D men, their ages of "peaking" are all over the map.

If Reinhardt is willing, Perhaps we pick him up and give him a fresh start in Alaska.. That's NOT an insult,. That's an opportunity for him to quietly regain the form that once had him at the 4th overall pick.  

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think the Oilers are giving up too early on him, considering their current (lack of) depth at D. He only has 37 NHL games experience, but also only 22

The issue is the Canucks have quite a few LHD, and he'd have difficulty cracking a spot:

Edler

Hutton

Sbisa

Tryamkin

Pedan

Juolevi

Brisebois

Nothing wrong with depth on defense. I think a year or so in Utica under Green would do him wonders. 

Reinhart - Stecher

Pedan - Subban

Sautner - Negrin/Billins

That's pretty solid. 

13 minutes ago, Pears said:

Nothing wrong with depth on defense. I think a year or so in Utica under Green would do him wonders. 

Reinhart - Stecher

Pedan - Subban

Sautner - Negrin/Billins

That's pretty solid. 

Yeah, that is. And backed by Demko (and Bachman). Biega?  

Oilers aren't throwing Reinhart away. They have no need or reason to do that. Yak asked for a trade multiple times. Reinhart is not yet an NHL top 4 Dman, he needs further development. He's only 22 and this is normal for him at this age. Sure he hasn't lived upto expectations but he's not a player you just get rid of for a 3rd round pick. That's just silly. 

They will continue to develop him. They just paid a heavy price to get him 1 year ago. There is absolutely no reason for them to throw him away. 

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Being a 4th overall pick,  you would think GR wants to play professional hockey. Something, somehow, has gone terribly wrong here.

If I was a Canucks Scout, I would be trying to find out what has gone wrong.

As we here are now witnessing with big bodied D men, their ages of "peaking" are all over the map.

If Reinhardt is willing, Perhaps we pick him up and give him a fresh start in Alaska.. That's NOT an insult,. That's an opportunity for him to quietly regain the form that once had him at the 4th overall pick.  

Sam, Oilers have to be willing to give him to us for free or even a 3rd round pick. Why would they give up on a 22 year old Dman who will be an NHL player. Only question is do they send him down to further develop him or let him be a #6 or #7 in the NHL this year.

This is a silly thread which the OP  made without even knowing Reinhart is Oilers property and not a UFA.

Silly, uneducated and uninformed thread which the OP started because he thought Reinhart was (cut) and UFA. He even went back to edit and correct it. This thread doesn't bode well for credibility of CDC. 

6 hours ago, coastal1 said:

you do understand that an NHL club has a maximum of 50 contracts allowed at any time. Very simply it means that if we take on the contract of this player then we have to give up another player from the organization. Is he free? Sure. Is he worth more than his cost? Very doubtful. But then propose what contract you would let go of or this is a meaningless choice.

Except we don't have 50 contracts. If we did, there wouldn't be much talk of signing any of our PTOs. If the Oilers really were cutting his contract (i.e. waiving him with the purpose of eliminating his contract, typical of players wanting to leave the NHL to go overseas) then we could get him for free. Toronto would have first go, then us, even if a player in that situation typically isn't picked up by anyone.

But I don't think the Oilers are going to move him for a 5th or less (since our 4th could basically end up a late 3rd, and I'm not going to pay a lot for a guy who really has fallen from his potential and might not ever get it back. He's more of a gamble than I'd like to pay more.

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Sam, Oilers have to be willing to give him to us for free or even a 3rd round pick. Why would they give up on a 22 year old Dman who will be an NHL player. Only question is do they send him down to further develop him or let him be a #6 or #7 in the NHL this year.

This is a silly thread which the OP  made without even knowing Reinhart is Oilers property and not a UFA.

Silly, uneducated and uninformed thread which the OP started because he thought Reinhart was (cut) and UFA. He even went back to edit and correct it. This thread doesn't bode well for credibility of CDC. 

QUALITY response from such a knowledgeable poster whom I've always looked up to and resp....

Who am I kidding.  I don't now nor have I ever liked you.

You note clearly where I changed/edited my thread when I realized he was still under contract and Oilers property yet still make those childish jabs.

Either contribute to the conversation as others have or take your childish digs and gtfo 

Just now, Warhippy said:

QUALITY response from such a knowledgeable poster whom I've always looked up to and resp....

Who am I kidding.  I don't now nor have I ever liked you.

You note clearly where I changed/edited my thread when I realized he was still under contract and Oilers property yet still make those childish jabs.

Either contribute to the conversation as others have or take your childish digs and gtfo 

A quality and senior member of this community like you should atleast make an effort to know the basic details of the subject you are making a thread about. 

You are approaching 20000 posts here soon. Getting a bit long in the tooth but c'mon man. 

What is wrong in my assessment? This is an silly, uninformed and uneducated thread. I stand by my remarks. If it was informed and educated you would have known the facts and not started a silly thread. 

And btw. You really hurt my feelings by telling me you don't now nor never liked me. Ruined my thanksgiving dinner. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

A quality and senior member of this community like you should atleast make an effort to know the basic details of the subject you are making a thread about. 

You are approaching 20000 posts here soon. Getting a bit long in the tooth but c'mon man. 

What is wrong in my assessment? This is an silly, uninformed and uneducated thread. I stand by my remarks. If it was informed and educated you would have known the facts and not started a silly thread. 

And btw. You really hurt my feelings by telling me you don't now nor never liked me. Ruined my thanksgiving dinner. 

The amount of humps I give can be measured in the amount of minutes WD gave Tanev on the PP last year

It's a discussion.  He's a maligned former 4th overall from North Van.  Notice how 3 pages went by discussing the merits of either picking him up or why he has no room or value

Yet instead of discussing you storm in.  Insult and deride while noting that I changed the post once I realized I was in error.  And jab jab jab.  No credible or intelligent addition.

You contributed nothing but condescension and I've no time for that.

So again.  If you've something to add to the discussion cool.   Otherwise just walk away bud because there's literally 0 reason to come in being "that guy"

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

The amount of humps I give can be measured in the amount of minutes WD gave Tanev on the PP last year

It's a discussion.  He's a maligned former 4th overall from North Van.  Notice how 3 pages went by discussing the merits of either picking him up or why he has no room or value

Yet instead of discussing you storm in.  Insult and deride while noting that I changed the post once I realized I was in error.  And jab jab jab.  No credible or intelligent addition.

You contributed nothing but condescension and I've no time for that.

So again.  If you've something to add to the discussion cool.   Otherwise just walk away bud because there's literally 0 reason to come in being "that guy"

3 pages of ppl thinking he was UFA or sucks so bad that we wouldn't even make a spot on 50 man roster for him. 

As soon as someone comes in to hit you with reality you take offense and start complaining. 

Carry on in your fantasy thread. I'll stay out. 

Happy Thanksgiving. 

On 10/8/2016 at 9:53 AM, Art Vandelay said:

I believe his biggest detractor is he is slow and makes decisions slow as well, even if he is a good skater. Not sure he will ever make it in today's NHL. 

If he is free then sure. I wouldn't give up any prospects or picks. He is kinda redundant with Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Sbisa, and Pedan, NO?

He is pretty soft as well. In addition to all of the things you mention.

On 2016-10-08 at 4:57 PM, elvis15 said:

Except we don't have 50 contracts. If we did, there wouldn't be much talk of signing any of our PTOs. If the Oilers really were cutting his contract (i.e. waiving him with the purpose of eliminating his contract, typical of players wanting to leave the NHL to go overseas) then we could get him for free. Toronto would have first go, then us, even if a player in that situation typically isn't picked up by anyone.

But I don't think the Oilers are going to move him for a 5th or less (since our 4th could basically end up a late 3rd, and I'm not going to pay a lot for a guy who really has fallen from his potential and might not ever get it back. He's more of a gamble than I'd like to pay more.

The fact that we do not have 50 contracts now is irrelevant in the sense that if we pick up his contract it is one less contract that we can pick up. The point is there is a limit to the number of contracts so choices have to be made. But that is a good point that the Oilers will probably want a fifth round pick for him, ONE YEAR AFTER THEY GAVE UP A FIRST AND A SECOND FOR HIM! That right there says all you need to know about Chiarelli. By the way, doesn't Larson look terrible.

I might give up Subban for him, and be clear I said might.  Canucks scouts would have to vet him thoroughly first.  We already have Larsen and Stecher as small mobile defensemen who are ahead of him on the depth chart.  it is a stretch  to think of having 2 of those guys at one time let alone 3.  Reinhart would have a better chance long term of making the big club.  Let's face it, that is the only thing that should matter when assessing prospects.

Archived