The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Jake Virtanen LW

Hey everyone, I read an article on Canucks Army today about whether or not Jake Virtanen should stay in Vancouver or go to Utica. I really liked one of the answers and figured this was worth a discussion.

Here is the responders answer:

TYLER HORSFALL

Jake Virtanen should be in this lineup if they want more production, more speed, and more skill. When he was selected 6th overall in the 2014 entry draft, Virtanen was listed as a left winger. The position suits his game the best, and he gives the Canucks a better chance to win when he is in the lineup.

The right-handed shooting Virtanen's best assets are his speed, his strength, and his shot. His speed and strength allow him to dominate neutral zone and easily gain entry into the attacking zone, and once Virtanen gets into the attacking zone he likes to shoot. Moving him to the left wing allows Virtanen more of an opportunity to get a good quality shot off and potentially lead to more scoring chances for the Canucks.

Virtanen proved last year he was NHL-ready with some of the better shot-based metrics on the team. Both he and the team could benefit greatly from Virtanen playing a more prominent role in the Canucks middle six this season.

I think this is worth considering if Virtanen is in our long term plans (he better be as a 6th OA pick...) Here are a couple reasons I believe this makes sense:

1) Our RW depth is way too deep this season and for the future for him to get a meaningfull look there. Eriksson-Rodin-Hansen-Etem/Dorsett. Not to mention BROCK BOESER will be coming next year and jumping into that 2nd line RW role, kids a stud.

On LW we have D. Sedin-Baertschi-Burrows-Gaunce/Granlund. Jake I argue is best suited for a 3rd line LW role beside Sutter. As much as some people hate the idea of Burrows in the press box thats where he should be.

This years line up:

Sedins-Eriksson

Baer- Horvat- Rodin

VIRTANEN- Sutter - Hansen

Granlund - Gaunce - Dorsett

Burrows/Etem

Next year Boeser slides in to either Rodin's spot if he doesn't live up to expectations or Hansen's spot if we trade him. I'm so fired up about this kid, and with Virtanen on the right there would be a log jam where we'd likely have to trade one.

2) Virtanen is a better goal scorer from the left side as Tyler Horsfall points out. In his draft year he scored 45 goals in 71 games as a LW. After we drafted him and switched him to RW his goal total dropped to 21 in 50 games. I don't think this is a coincidence, seeing as how he was older and more developped (I understand he did have his surgery but don't believe that makes a difference)

3) If we want to be a competitive team this year, I argue we're more of a balanced 3 line threat with Virtanen on that line over Burrows. If he can pot close to 15-20 goals we will be a very deep team. Burrows will  be a good 13th man for injuries.

Roast away...

10 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

I honestly don't think Dorsett will make the team. Burrows has had a great couple of games and is pretty fast now.

Dorsett stuck up for teammates more than pretty much the rest of the team last year, even if he's not the most skilled I do think his presence is needed and I think without him, it puts too much pressure on Jake to be that guy that has to be the one fighting and challenging everyone because we don't really have anyone else to do that.
Burrows can be a pest, and he does stick up for guys but can quite back it up like Dorsett

Just now, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Jake Virtanen Player Discussion thread

To be honest I think there is more than enough substance for this to be relevant as it's own thread. It's not just a post stating an opininon i'm encouraging discussion and want feedback on what others think of the idea.

5 hours ago, CanuckMan10 said:

To be honest I think there is more than enough substance for this to be relevant as it's own thread. It's not just a post stating an opininon i'm encouraging discussion and want feedback on what others think of the idea.

I understand. But that can still be accomplished in the official player thread.

3 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Do we want everything neat and tidy or do we want discussion here? Is this a forum for Canucks discussion or is it a file system? 

Think about t his ppl and mods.

Better to have all the discussion about a particular topic or player in the same place rather than have to read or search through multiple threads.

I think that looks about right. I think this is what we'll look like next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

_____ - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaunce - Rodin

Next summer will be when we make a move for that top six forward IMO. 

35 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

They're talking about moving the left shooting Anton Rodin from RW to LW because he's having trouble on the breakout.  On the big ice surface in Sweden, the D don't pinch.

How does this affect your plan?

Maybe it doesn't make any difference which side Rodin plays?  

On 08/10/2016 at 11:54 PM, Justdean10 said:

Dorsett stuck up for teammates more than pretty much the rest of the team last year, even if he's not the most skilled I do think his presence is needed and I think without him, it puts too much pressure on Jake to be that guy that has to be the one fighting and challenging everyone because we don't really have anyone else to do that.
Burrows can be a pest, and he does stick up for guys but can quite back it up like Dorsett

Gudbranson takes that responsibility now. Maybe Tryamkin and Sbisa too. Dorsett is no longer required.

On 08/10/2016 at 11:00 PM, Pears said:

I think that looks about right. I think this is what we'll look like next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

_____ - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaunce - Rodin

Next summer will be when we make a move for that top six forward IMO. 

Rodin is not a 4th line player.  If he isn't top 6 he is back in Sweden IMHO. 

24 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Willie said that Rodin is a very quick player.  But he showed none of that this preseason because of his knee. 

He has showed us that he is for real and if you add that quickness, I am convinced he slots in ahead of Baertschi (who impressed too).

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I guess it'll depend on what moves are made over the next year. I really think we're gonna load up to give the Sedins the best chance possible to win here in their last couple years. 

Archived