The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Minnesota Claim F Teemu Pulkkinen Off Waivers

Detroit has placed AHL all-star Teemu Pulkkinen on waivers. He could make for a decent depth scoring option if he's ready to take a step forward, but I wonder if JB finds his playing style suitable to the team he's trying to build. From the little bit I've seen he seems like somewhat of a Perimeter Peter that struggles to translate his game to the NHL level. We'll be third on the waiver claim ladder...

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2016/10/10/13228048/red-wings-place-f-teemu-pulkkinen-on-waivers

When we found out yesterday that Martin Frk had been claimed by the Carolina Hurricanes, we figured that closed the door on the races for roster spots, but today the Red Wings have placed another right-shooting potential goal-scorer on waivers trying to sneak him through after he couldn’t win a spot.

The 24-year old former AHL goal-scoring leader makes only $812,500 this season, but is also coming off shoulder surgery four months ago. His rehab was supposed to take between 4-6 months, but he recovered on the faster timeline.

I have watched Teemu Plkkinen during the Comets playoff run a couple years ago. I like what he brings during the regular season but he seemed to disappear during the playoff. Perimeter Peter sums it up well. I don't think he is worth a contract as we have better players - Sven and Granny already on the team and the likes of  Boes waiting in the wings.

Ah, beat me to it :P 

I'd like to see Pulkkinen claimed, but Benning seems pretty content with the guys we have. And after all that talk of internal competition, I don't know if management thinks Pulkkinen is good enough to warrant taking Etem & Virtanen off the team, and releasing Ruutu and Skille as well.

AHL and NHL stats on Pulkkinen:

NHL Totals   70 11 9 20 26          

2012-13 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 2 0 1 1 2 -1 14 3 2 5 10
2013-14 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 71 31 28 59 34 18 10 5 6 11 10
2013-14 Detroit Red Wings NHL 3 0 0 0 2 0 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15 Grand Rapids Griffins AHL 46 34 27 61 30 1 16 14 4 18 22
2014-15 Detroit Red Wings NHL 31 5 3 8 10 5 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Detroit Red Wings NHL 36 6 6 12 14 2 -- -- -- -- --

Archived