The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

League of Legends Thread

-AJ-

I've done a search around, but I find it odd that there's not a dedicated thread for one of the most popular games in the world, League of Legends, so I decided to make one. I know there was one a while back about making a League team, but not a general one.

Personally, I initially made an account about three years ago, but only really got into the game about 13 months ago or so near the end of Season 5. I've really enjoyed getting to know the game and improve at it over time.

In the Spring, I also began my first E-Sports experience with watching the Spring Split in North America and was surprised at how entertaining it was. Now, with the World Championship going on, excitement is high and I've been watching many of the games.

So, how about it? Any other League fans/players out there?

I'm a league player.

Had four Diamond accounts and sold them all, currently ranking up again and in Plat 3 - unsure if I'll sell or keep this one. Good way to make money - made over a grand doing it and I enjoy it.

Been playing since Season 1 - was a bronzie for the first two season until I spent some actual time practicing instead of just goofing around with friends and have been a diamond player since Season 3. 

I'm a mid main/jungle off-role. Favorite champion rotates between Orianna and Fizz and I probably have around 3k games between the two of them across my accounts. 

I know there's a league thread around here, I post in it occasionally. If you want to delete it and start new, that's cool - but there's definitely a thread.

I've been following Worlds in another window during the trading day. I'm stoked C9 made it through to the quarters, but like most I was hoping TSM would have a better series. Bodog seems to be the only place taking league bets, so I've been running it up there. 

I stopped playing myself. I only made it to plat once. Honestly it gets too damn frustrating to lose an hour long game, or get continually matched with kids trying to sabotage games. Maybe I'll pick it up eventually, but gaming to me is purely PS4 right now.

Anyways, who do you guys have coming out of the quarters: http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/worlds/world_championship_2016/standings/default

16 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Anyways, who do you guys have coming out of the quarters: http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/worlds/world_championship_2016/standings/default

I'm expecting SKT, EDG, SSG and ANX out of quarters - although C9 could make it past SSG depending on which version of C9 shows up that day - regular season or gauntlet C9. 

If C9 makes it past SSG, they'll make it the finals where I'd bet they lose to SKT.

Was really disappointed to see TSM fail in the group stages, been a TSM fan since they joined the e-sport scene and thought this was there year.

2 hours ago, Fateless said:

I'm a league player.

Had four Diamond accounts and sold them all, currently ranking up again and in Plat 3 - unsure if I'll sell or keep this one. Good way to make money - made over a grand doing it and I enjoy it.

Been playing since Season 1 - was a bronzie for the first two season until I spent some actual time practicing instead of just goofing around with friends and have been a diamond player since Season 3. 

I'm a mid main/jungle off-role. Favorite champion rotates between Orianna and Fizz and I probably have around 3k games between the two of them across my accounts. 

Geez, nicely done. I've been thinking about dabbling into ranked games after playing normals for a solid year or so, but it's a bit intimidating. I played my first ranked game recently, (though admittedly, it was ranked 5v5 teams, so that may have changed the environment) and I was trashed on what I consider to be my best champ.

More generally speaking, I try to be versatile and able to play all roles, though my best three roles are definitely top, jungle, and support. I main Braum for support and Trundle for Jungle and Top; both of them have by far the most mastery points for me, though I do play a number of other champions from time to time as well.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I know there's a league thread around here, I post in it occasionally. If you want to delete it and start new, that's cool - but there's definitely a thread.

Do you mean this thread? 

It was the one I was referring to earlier, but it's not a generic thread, so I figured a general one could be good.

Personally, I have SKT, EDG, SSG, and H2K. I'm not too educated on teams outside of NA, but ROX has had some shaky moments thus far, so I think EDG can upset them, if that would even qualify as an upset.

Regarding C9, I really hope they can be the first NA team to get out of quarterfinals (I think they'd be the first), but I don't have a lot of hopes, as I picked SSG to win it all this year. SSG just looks extremely strong to me coming out of groups, but who knows, maybe C9 will upset. Aside from Smoothie, who is new, all of C9's players have had extremely great moments in the past, so if they all catch on fire for these knockout rounds, they could go far.

10 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Geez, nicely done. I've been thinking about dabbling into ranked games after playing normals for a solid year or so, but it's a bit intimidating. I played my first ranked game recently, (though admittedly, it was ranked 5v5 teams, so that may have changed the environment) and I was trashed on what I consider to be my best champ.

More generally speaking, I try to be versatile and able to play all roles, though my best three roles are definitely top, jungle, and support. I main Braum for support and Trundle for Jungle and Top; both of them have by far the most mastery points for me, though I do play a number of other champions from time to time as well.

Don't be afraid to try ranked. Its not intimidating so long as you know what you're getting yourself into - a competitive environment where there are a lot of keyboard warriors that will call you out if you screw up (and some that will call you out if THEY screw up). 

I have a hard time playing normals now - people don't try hard enough and I get frustrated with the "its just a normal" excuse when people don't care about improving. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gave this game up long ago. Too much clicking for my liking. I was on a huge Smite binge for a while, but my gaming comp died. Started playing Smite on Xbox 1, but haven't touched my Xbox in months. Maybe I'll get back into it if I ever get another gaming PC. I was platinum 3 with my friends when we were nerding it up. I was the worst on our team but still had fun.

My World's Pick 'Em is going pretty well so far! 45 points as of now. I predicted an upset by EDG, but didn't know that Mouse wasn't going to be playing when I made the prediction. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. Aside from that I've been perfect so far in the knockout stages. I'm guessing SKT to beat ROX in today's game and Samsung Galaxy to beat H2K tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This just blew my mind, but apparently both SFU and UBC are in the top 10 of League College series:

https://ulol.na.leagueoflegends.com/categories/all/news/halfway-there-csl-breaks-down-week-3

Both 3-0! 

Wow! I knew UBC was a great team (all those Asians I guess, haha), but I didn't know SFU had a good team too.

My little kid is right into this game. He plays with a regular group but a couple weeks back was asked to play for a "pro" team in a North American online tournament.

He helped the team finish third. Was asked to open a pay pal account by the team as his match was going to be posted on twitch. 

I'm torn. On the one hand I hate that he spends so much time online.  On the other hand, he's apparently pretty good and the fact he can make a few bucks at it is pretty cool.

Watching some of the major events held in arena's and stadium's, it blows me away how big this has become. Some teams make millions playing this. 

6 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

My little kid is right into this game. He plays with a regular group but a couple weeks back was asked to play for a "pro" team in a North American online tournament.

He helped the team finish third. Was asked to open a pay pal account by the team as his match was going to be posted on twitch. 

I'm torn. On the one hand I hate that he spends so much time online.  On the other hand, he's apparently pretty good and the fact he can make a few bucks at it is pretty cool.

Watching some of the major events held in arena's and stadium's, it blows me away how big this has become. Some teams make millions playing this. 

Yeah. It obviously makes a difference that this game is international, but the world championships get more viewers than the Superbowl. It's definitely a growing industry to be sure. 

The pros make some money as a salary, but to my knowledge, only make about 10K a year in straight salary. The rest is in winnings depending on how they do. Don't quote me for certain though, I could be totally wrong there. There are also many sponsors, much like in hockey, who support teams. I suspect large amounts come from them. On top of that, many pros stream on Twitch regularly to thousands of viewers, who themselves donate to the players on a regular basis.

It's a pretty lucrative industry, but I can definitely understand your concern as well. Most "pros" don't end up playing until much later than their early to late 20s, so it's not a long-term career. For me, it would be something I could consider a bit akin to striving for a hockey career (though personally it wouldn't mean as much to me). It definitely takes a lot of dedication to become particularly good, but an obsession with any video game, just like with hockey, can go too far.

Out of curiosity, do you know your son's username on the game? I'm curious to see just how good he is ::D.

9 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Yeah. It obviously makes a difference that this game is international, but the world championships get more viewers than the Superbowl. It's definitely a growing industry to be sure. 

The pros make some money as a salary, but to my knowledge, only make about 10K a year in straight salary. The rest is in winnings depending on how they do. Don't quote me for certain though, I could be totally wrong there. There are also many sponsors, much like in hockey, who support teams. I suspect large amounts come from them. On top of that, many pros stream on Twitch regularly to thousands of viewers, who themselves donate to the players on a regular basis.

It's a pretty lucrative industry, but I can definitely understand your concern as well. Most "pros" don't end up playing until much later than their early to late 20s, so it's not a long-term career. For me, it would be something I could consider a bit akin to striving for a hockey career (though personally it wouldn't mean as much to me). It definitely takes a lot of dedication to become particularly good, but an obsession with any video game, just like with hockey, can go too far.

Out of curiosity, do you know your son's username on the game? I'm curious to see just how good he is ::D.

His username in the game is Joosten. He doesn't have a twitch username.

His team name is "Easy" or "EZ". Not sure how they spell it.

I couldn't even find anything on twitch of his team or the event they finished third in North America in a couple of weekend ago. But then I have no clue how to navigate in twitch so I was probably looking in the wrong spot.  Let me know if you can find him AJ.

22 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

His username in the game is Joosten. He doesn't have a twitch username.

His team name is "Easy" or "EZ". Not sure how they spell it.

I couldn't even find anything on twitch of his team or the event they finished third in North America in a couple of weekend ago. But then I have no clue how to navigate in twitch so I was probably looking in the wrong spot.  Let me know if you can find him AJ.

I found your son's statistics online easily. There are many sites that can display that information. I've found some info on a "Team EZ" or "TeamEZ", but neither source seems to have been recently updated: https://www.facebook.com/theteamez/ and https://www.twitch.tv/teamez

Regarding your son's level, he's definitely good, though not particularly close to the pro level yet. From the stats I could find, he's in the top 6.7% of all of North America so far this year. The North American pros are usually in the top 0.03% of North America. That said, if there are opportunities to make a couple of bucks, that's pretty neat.

I know many Universities are also housing teams for college leagues. The standards for these are much lower from what I can tell. SFU and UBC actually currently have two of the best teams in all of North America, which is neat. From what I can tell for good teams like these, being in the top 1.5% seems to be about the minimum level. Less dominant schools may have lower standards. I'm not sure if your son is going to university or anything like that, but it might be on his radar.

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I found your son's statistics online easily. There are many sites that can display that information. I've found some info on a "Team EZ" or "TeamEZ", but neither source seems to have been recently updated: https://www.facebook.com/theteamez/ and https://www.twitch.tv/teamez

Regarding your son's level, he's definitely good, though not particularly close to the pro level yet. From the stats I could find, he's in the top 6.7% of all of North America so far this year. The North American pros are usually in the top 0.03% of North America. That said, if there are opportunities to make a couple of bucks, that's pretty neat.

I know many Universities are also housing teams for college leagues. The standards for these are much lower from what I can tell. SFU and UBC actually currently have two of the best teams in all of North America, which is neat. From what I can tell for good teams like these, being in the top 1.5% seems to be about the minimum level. Less dominant schools may have lower standards. I'm not sure if your son is going to university or anything like that, but it might be on his radar.

Wow, that was quick. Interesting stats.

He just started at Kwantlen but I'll definitely let him know about the University teams.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Just out of curiosity, is being in the top 6.7% considered good or average?

Archived