The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

League of Legends Thread

-AJ-

On 21/02/2017 at 5:54 AM, MJDDawg said:

My little kid is right into this game. He plays with a regular group but a couple weeks back was asked to play for a "pro" team in a North American online tournament.

He helped the team finish third. Was asked to open a pay pal account by the team as his match was going to be posted on twitch. 

I'm torn. On the one hand I hate that he spends so much time online.  On the other hand, he's apparently pretty good and the fact he can make a few bucks at it is pretty cool.

Watching some of the major events held in arena's and stadium's, it blows me away how big this has become. Some teams make millions playing this. 

Late response to this:

I wouldn't worry about it. It may seem weird to you (or other adults) now, but it's really just the way the world is headed.

Back when I was younger (1990s) I played a game called Quake online. I played it obsessively and I was very talented at it. I definitely was addicted, but I was addicted to the competition--similar, I imagine, to how your son is. I got into so many arguments about this with my mom because she genuinely just didn't understand. That was on the cusp of multiplayer/online gaming. We've obviously come a long way and gaming is far more normal (and lucrative) now, but back then it was an uphill battle.

Long story short, I turned out (mostly) fine, and I remember my early competitive gaming days so fondly and I'm super happy about it. I have some great memories about the people I met and some games I played -- and made some pretty valuable connections in the process

The fact that your son found something he's passionate about and the fact that he's obviously great at it is the coolest thing, I think. Even if he doesn't make a billion dollars in the growing "eSports" economy, I guarantee he's still making memories and friends that he'll remember for a long-ass time

24 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Late response to this:

I wouldn't worry about it. It may seem weird to you (or other adults) now, but it's really just the way the world is headed.

Back when I was younger (1990s) I played a game called Quake online. I played it obsessively and I was very talented at it. I definitely was addicted, but I was addicted to the competition--similar, I imagine, to how your son is. I got into so many arguments about this with my mom because she genuinely just didn't understand. That was on the cusp of multiplayer/online gaming. We've obviously come a long way and gaming is far more normal (and lucrative) now, but back then it was an uphill battle.

Long story short, I turned out (mostly) fine, and I remember my early competitive gaming days so fondly and I'm super happy about it. I have some great memories about the people I met and some games I played -- and made some pretty valuable connections in the process

The fact that your son found something he's passionate about and the fact that he's obviously great at it is the coolest thing, I think. Even if he doesn't make a billion dollars in the growing "eSports" economy, I guarantee he's still making memories and friends that he'll remember for a long-ass time

Thanks Glassjaw,

Appreciate the feedback. I'm feeling this way more and more. The biggest thing IMO is that I'm probably not going to convince him otherwise so why nag him.  I don't want to push him away from me.

And who knows. One day he could become world champ, and they'll probably want to interview the supportive dad. ::D

Yeah I myself really enjoy playing League. I've been playing since S4 as a support main since my best friend and duo partner played ADC, but recently I've been trying to switch over to ADC in solo queue since I find it really fun.

I'm curious what everyone's favourite champs are on here. Mine are Braum, Ashe, and Brand.

Oh and my favourite team was IMT last season, though I liked them because I really liked Pob and Wildturtle, and I found their style of play incredibly entertaining. Now that they're kind of a shell of their former selves I mostly root C9 (who were my 2nd favourite) and Flyquest (old c9)

Just now, Alchemy Time said:

Yeah I myself really enjoy playing League. I've been playing since S4 as a support main since my best friend and duo partner played ADC, but recently I've been trying to switch over to ADC in solo queue since I find it really fun.

I'm curious what everyone's favourite champs are on here. Mine are Braum, Ashe, and Brand.

I've been dabbling in all roles, but support is the one that suits my playstyle the best. I main Braum, but also enjoy playing some Thresh as well. I'm looking to get some mage supports in my repertoire as well, maybe Karma? 

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I've been dabbling in all roles, but support is the one that suits my playstyle the best. I main Braum, but also enjoy playing some Thresh as well. I'm looking to get some mage supports in my repertoire as well, maybe Karma? 

Karma is a really good choice. She does a lot of stuff really well. I really like the ridiculous damage of Brand support myself, and Malzahar support is also incredibly good right now.

Just now, Alchemy Time said:

Karma is a really good choice. She does a lot of stuff really well. I really like the ridiculous damage of Brand support myself, and Malzahar support is also incredibly good right now.

I picked up Malz mid back before his small re-work and have played him mid since the re-work as well. Tried him once as a support with a Jhin (because synergy), but aside from the first few early levels in lane, it wasn't the greatest, though I attribute that to my lack of knowledge of how to play both mage supports and Malz in general (I think I only have level 3 or 4 mastery with him).

5 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I picked up Malz mid back before his small re-work and have played him mid since the re-work as well. Tried him once as a support with a Jhin (because synergy), but aside from the first few early levels in lane, it wasn't the greatest, though I attribute that to my lack of knowledge of how to play both mage supports and Malz in general (I think I only have level 3 or 4 mastery with him).

Yeah I don't play him really either (don't think I have since the rework) but playing against him his damage can be pretty bonkers early and his ult is nuts.

Archived