The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN - NYI (PROPOSAL)

To Van : Josh Ho-Sang

To NYI : Brendan Gaunce, 2nd Round Pick

One thing I like about Ho-Sang is his social involvement. The guy goes out of his way to get involved in communities and make a positive impact. From a hockey standpoint, this is a guy that can change a game. He is going to make plays, something that is lost on us past the Sedins. We could really utilize this kid, and his value right now is attainable. He is someone we could have on our first line someday.

Ho-sang is like a Shinakruk, High skill set but also a high bust potential and to make matters worse is he doesn't show any signs that he's going to break the drawbacks about him.  He's got major attitude problems and has already failed with the Islanders on multiple opportunities. He's not someone I would take a flyer on.   

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ho-sang is like a Shinakruk, High skill set but also a high bust potential and to make matters worse is he doesn't show any signs that he's going to break the drawbacks about him.  He's got major attitude problems and has already failed with the Islanders on multiple opportunities. He's not someone I would take a flyer on.   

If you look at interviews with his coaches and community members, they all speak highly of him. He speaks to schools on a regular basis, is on the face of an anti-bullying program, built schools for children in Jamaica during the summer a couple years ago, not to mention he is only 20 years old. He had a great camp and will probably get called up this year. He is way more talented than most of our prospects and has clearly matured from when he was selected in the 1st round a couple years ago.

I suggest taking a look at the video in this article:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/josh-ho-sang-fails-make-new-york-islanders-starts-ahl-bridgeport/ 

14 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If you look at interviews with his coaches and community members, they all speak highly of him. He speaks to schools on a regular basis, is on the face of an anti-bullying program, built schools for children in Jamaica during the summer a couple years ago, not to mention he is only 20 years old. He had a great camp and will probably get called up this year. He is way more talented than most of our prospects and has clearly matured from when he was selected in the 1st round a couple years ago.

I suggest taking a look at the video in this article:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/josh-ho-sang-fails-make-new-york-islanders-starts-ahl-bridgeport/ 

How many times have we heard Kassian say the same things? Or Evander Kane?

He's been trouble his entire career.  Got sent home for sleeping in last year.  Called out Hockey Canada for not getting an invite. He's a walking dressing room cancer.  If he turns it around magically great,  good for him, but he hasn't shown it and has a lot to prove.    And even if someday he does, how long, it's not like temptations get any easier.  No thanks.  PASS.

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

To Van : Josh Ho-Sang

To NYI : Brendan Gaunce, 2nd Round Pick

One thing I like about Ho-Sang is his social involvement. The guy goes out of his way to get involved in communities and make a positive impact. From a hockey standpoint, this is a guy that can change a game. He is going to make plays, something that is lost on us past the Sedins. We could really utilize this kid, and his value right now is attainable. He is someone we could have on our first line someday.

The kid sounds like he might just be another loser.  No to Ho.

I would most defiantly take a flyer On him. but not if it would mean giving up a young nhl ready player (Gaunce may not have the ceiling of HO but his floor is much much higher) and that is something we have seen JB values and takes into account. If J Sub and cbj second would wet snows whistle I'd be in. One high ceiling low floor player for another. Not interested in giving up NHL talent for a guy who may or may not have what it takes to be a professional.

27 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

I don't even know if I'd trade a 2nd by itself for Ho-Sang.

He might be a great person in the community, but he's got a ton of baggage on him already as a hockey player.

He also hasn't progressed much (if at all) since his draft year.

He played on a much worse team than during his draft year and was their top scorer by 23 points. He scored 1 goal and 3 assists in 5 preseason games, only 3 canucks had more than 3 points.

Considering what Benning said and how he has waived Etem, if Ho-Sang was on our team he would have beat Etem, Virtanen, Burrows, Baertschi and many others out of a spot.

I like the idea of finding talent.  I also think reclamation projects can work.  See Baertschi.   I just think where there's smoke there's fire generally and this guy has had a lot of smoke around him for years.  I would pass on him and definitely not for Gaunce.  I think Gaunce with be a solid long time Canucks and take over from Sutter in 3 years.

I am in general a fan of taking chances of guys with minor "attitude and personality issues". Emphasis on the minor. I wouldn't touch Kane with a 10 foot pole, or anyone that I thought was legitimately a bad person or a menace. But pursuing players who have lower perceived value due to immaturity is a good way to take advantage of a market inefficiency.

The personality problems are rarely as serious as they are made out to be. Hockey culture as a whole puts a certain humble mature personality on a pedestal, so it is easy for a normal 20 year old to stand out and seem like some kind of wild child. Most will even out into OK humans. You take a chance at a Kassian, but you also have a chance at a Seguin. And that is pretty good money for most draft picks. 

All that being said, I remain unsold on Ho Sang. I don't think he has necessarily shown enough on the ice to warrant actively pursuing and coaching him through his personality.  

Again with the giving away Gaunce proposals. I love Gaunce and can't wait to see what he will give as a regular player on this team

IMO Ho Sang is trending downwards to less than Yakupov value

Archived