Sign in to follow this  
Yan86

Elliott Overrated?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Whoa, how about we wait for a few games before we judge the guy. One/first game of the season makes it a tad difficult to assess a goalies real value to a team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yan86 said:

I find it funny that the flames thought they solidified their goaltending position with Elliott. I guess the blues defense made Elliott look good.

Wait until Saturday when they dont play against the best players in the world (McDavid, PJ, Draisaitl). Actually a little scared to see them vs us as they could easily light up the Nucks goalies as well....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive always thought he was inconsistent.  It's why StL gave up a premium for Miller...  Elliott is an average tender.  Same as Talbot.  Same as Freddie Andersson.

 

Outside Montreal, I honestly think the Canucks have by far the best goaltending options out of the remaining Canadian teams.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Whoa, how about we wait for a few games before we judge the guy. One/first game of the season makes it a tad difficult to assess a goalies real value to a team. 

&^@# that

I judged him after two goals :lol:

Edited by Shift-4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought Brian Elliot wasn't that great. But still, it's a question of do they have a quality possible replacement for a reasonable price, and that they don't have to give up too many pieces for. He works for them until they can develop a young new replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been one game and neither teams were playing much defence.

 

Elliot was never an upper echelon goalie. He was good enough for the Blues and allowed the Blues to not over spend on goaltending and spend the money elsewhere.

 

Unless Calgary tightens up defensive play, it won't matter who they bring in.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cocolocci said:

Maybe the Oilers Defense sucks? St.Louis Defense is definetly 2 leagues over the Coiler D..

Well, for sure their defense sucks.

 

But Elliot plays for that other dump of a city in Alberta...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 70seven said:

Ive always thought he was inconsistent.  It's why StL gave up a premium for Miller...  Elliott is an average tender.  Same as Talbot.  Same as Freddie Andersson.

 

Outside Montreal, I honestly think the Canucks have by far the best goaltending options out of the remaining Canadian teams.

 

Craig Anderson in Ottawa is also  a good goaltender. I don't think there's much difference in skill between him and Ryan Miller. Both are getting older however, so I expect their play to decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Well, for sure their defense sucks.

 

But Elliot plays for that other dump of a city in Alberta...

 

Haha my fault :D I mean the Flames for sure :lol:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a STL blue, Elliot had a S% of .918, in his 181 starts.

In his previous 142 starts prior to that to being a  STL blue, he sported a .891

 

Did Elliot get that much better or did he just enter a system that helps goalies.  A defensive style team filled with strong defensive defensemen, like Pietrangelo, and Bouwmeester, lead by a strong two way center in Backes. 

 

Calgary doesn’t play that strong D style.  They are a run and gun team.  Their defence loved joining in on the rush, they watched their strongest defensive D sign in Edmonton over the summer. 

 

When CBJ made the post season Bobrovsky stood on his head every night.

When Av’s made the post season Varlamov stood on his head and was the Av’s best player.

 

When those two goalies stopped playing godly like what happened to their teams?  Back to bottom teams.

 

Hiller was actually a decent goalie as well up until that last year.  His first year on Calgary he stood on his head.  And then any time Hiller started to falter Ramo would come in an also play strong.  Flames only made the playoffs that year because of a few players having career years, their outrageously high shooting %, and strong goaltending when they needed it.

 

When their goaltending goes back to being average and they shooting % goes back to normal,  Just like the Av’s and Bluejackets, they go back to being a weaker team. 


I really couldn’t understand why so much media were so hyped on the flames.  Even close friends that are flames fans weren’t that highly on their team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean it is just one game so you gotta give him the benefit of the doubt. He's not as bad as he showed last night.

 

That being said I never thought Elliot was that great of a goaltender. Playing with the Blues really inflated his numbers. And even with that team he couldn't get them to the Cup Finals let alone win them a Cup. Yeah I know it's a team game, but the goalie is arguably the most important position in the game. A goalie can win or lose you a game (see Dallas Stars). He's not a goalie who will lead you to a Cup or anything, he's just average. Now if the Flames had gone out and gotten Bishop then f*** me that would have been nuts.

 

I also feel the same way about Anderson in Toronto. Except I'm not convinced that he's even an average goalie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was the product of a great system and great defence corp. Elliott fit in perfectly. 

 

3.19 GAA in 43 games with Sens to 1.56 GAA in 38 games with Blues in one year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

&^@# that

I judged him after two goals :lol:

 

I called this when he got signed to Calgary in the Summer. He's a solid '1B' goalie who can play well behind a good D. Behind a suspect D, he's a below average starter. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Yan86 said:

I find it funny that the flames thought they solidified their goaltending position with Elliott. I guess the blues defense made Elliott look good.

Elliot reminds me of osgood. But osgood was frequently bailed out by maybe the best team in since gretz on oilers. lidstrom, yzerman, datsuk ect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And when Ben Bishop was available!

 

Oh, but Calgary is getting 99 points...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Yan86 said:

I find it funny that the flames thought they solidified their goaltending position with Elliott. I guess the blues defense made Elliott look good.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the goalie.  I see the Flames 2nd and 3rd pairs getting torched this year, regardless of who's in net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He won't have St. Louis' team defence in front of him in Calgary. He's a competent goalie but let's not ignore the context of his stats in St. Louis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nas19 said:

I mean it is just one game so you gotta give him the benefit of the doubt. He's not as bad as he showed last night.

 

That being said I never thought Elliot was that great of a goaltender. Playing with the Blues really inflated his numbers. And even with that team he couldn't get them to the Cup Finals let alone win them a Cup. Yeah I know it's a team game, but the goalie is arguably the most important position in the game. A goalie can win or lose you a game (see Dallas Stars). He's not a goalie who will lead you to a Cup or anything, he's just average. Now if the Flames had gone out and gotten Bishop then f*** me that would have been nuts.

 

I also feel the same way about Anderson in Toronto. Except I'm not convinced that he's even an average goalie.

That massive Lego graphic kinda said it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at home over the last couple of days and TSN had their NHL preview, going on and on about EDM and TOR. Quite sickening listening to those "experts" drool over changes those teams have made. When it came time to discuss the Canucks, the only 2 acquisitions they showed were: Eriksson and Gudbranson IN, McCann, Vrbata and Hamhuis OUT. But no mention of Rodin or Larsen, or that Jarvis and Malhotra were brought in as coaches. How about a full year of Tryamkin and Sutter? All they concentrate on is how old the Sedins are and how the Canucks have no depth.

 

CGY didn't necessarily improve their goaltending, but they got a decent goalie. Same with EDM, they got a decent goalie in Talbot. Elliott and Talbot played very well for their previous teams (NYR and STL), but those teams had much better D. It's like Dubnyk in reverse. Dudnyk was terrible in EDM, then went to MIN and played great. Helps to have Suter in front of you. Elliott also benefited from having good D in front of him. Now those goalies are on bad/mediocre teams, so we'll see how good they really are.

 

Canucks have better D and goaltending than EDM, CGY and TOR. But they would never mention that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.