The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliott Overrated?

Yan86

Its ridiculous to judge a goalie on one game (...obviously,a lot of peeps have forgotten about Roberto Luongo in the the month of October).....Conversely,I don't think that that Elliott is going to be the 'be all,end all ' for the Flames either...Their D is suspect,that's what I saw last night.

Moving forward,I wonder if the Canucks will start seeing the opposing teams backup goalie on a more consistent basis?....For well over a decade,we would get the #1,and Calgary or Edmonton would always get the backup.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Was at home over the last couple of days and TSN had their NHL preview, going on and on about EDM and TOR. Quite sickening listening to those "experts" drool over changes those teams have made. When it came time to discuss the Canucks, the only 2 acquisitions they showed were: Eriksson and Gudbranson IN, McCann, Vrbata and Hamhuis OUT. But no mention of Rodin or Larsen, or that Jarvis and Malhotra were brought in as coaches. How about a full year of Tryamkin and Sutter? All they concentrate on is how old the Sedins are and how the Canucks have no depth.

CGY didn't necessarily improve their goaltending, but they got a decent goalie. Same with EDM, they got a decent goalie in Talbot. Elliott and Talbot played very well for their previous teams (NYR and STL), but those teams had much better D. It's like Dubnyk in reverse. Dudnyk was terrible in EDM, then went to MIN and played great. Helps to have Suter in front of you. Elliott also benefited from having good D in front of him. Now those goalies are on bad/mediocre teams, so we'll see how good they really are.

Canucks have better D and goaltending than EDM, CGY and TOR. But they would never mention that.

I agree with you mostly, but Dubnyk is a bad example. He literally re-shaped his game under Sean Burke, and outplayed Mike Smith considerably in Arizona before Minnesota grabbed him. Dubnyk didn't just benefit from a good defense, he changed the way he played his position.

Archived