The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Miller to the Kings

28 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

If Quick is down for any length of time LA needs a vet to fill in. They have some nice pieces that they could move. Could be a good partner.

I dunno what Herrdrfunks issue is but I think OP might be onto something here. 

First things first, Miller had the No Trade clause or whatever, but would he waive to move to LA where his wife is working even if when Quick comes back and he's relegated to backup role? 

Yes you bet he would. It's also a shot at a cup.

Problem. Canucks would need to retain salary which isn't a big deal since this is th least year of his contract or they have to take back serious salary. The last time I checked, the Kings only have 2 million in cap space and would need to clear at least 4 million. The only player making something around that I can see them parting with is Dustin Brown and I don't think we want to be straddled with that contract.

Could we pick up a decent prospect for Miller if we retained 4 Million in Salary??? It's worth a shot

What's in it for him? Move his baby and wife back to LA to be the backup for a few months with the knowledge that he'll have to move to another team next summer? Doubt he does this.

What's in it for the Canucks? They lose their starting goalie for what...a third round pick? In a season they state that the objective is to make the playoffs. Doubt they do this.

As said before, highly doubt the Canucks trade their "#1 goalie" at the beginning of the season.

Also highly doubt the Canucks take on a bad contract, Aquilini is willing to spend, but only to make the team more competitive.

24 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I dunno what Herrdrfunks issue is but I think OP might be onto something here. 

First things first, Miller had the No Trade clause or whatever, but would he waive to move to LA where his wife is working even if when Quick comes back and he's relegated to backup role? 

Yes you bet he would. It's also a shot at a cup.

Problem. Canucks would need to retain salary which isn't a big deal since this is th least year of his contract or they have to take back serious salary. The last time I checked, the Kings only have 2 million in cap space and would need to clear at least 4 million. The only player making something around that I can see them parting with is Dustin Brown and I don't think we want to be straddled with that contract.

Could we pick up a decent prospect for Miller if we retained 4 Million in Salary??? It's worth a shot

You can only retain 50% of a player's salary.

2 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

If Quick is down for any length of time LA needs a vet to fill in. They have some nice pieces that they could move. Could be a good partner.

He's only on IR, not LTI, so he could be back after their first three games. They'll test out Zatkoff for a few games, and they also have Budaj and Campbell (the former Stars top prospect) that will be good enough stop gaps. He's listed week to week, so I'd expect a little longer, but it's not long enough to have them panic and add a $6M, 36 year old goalie.

8 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

He's only on IR, not LTI, so he could be back after their first three games. They'll test out Zatkoff for a few games, and they also have Budaj and Campbell (the former Stars top prospect) that will be good enough stop gaps. He's listed week to week, so I'd expect a little longer, but it's not long enough to have them panic and add a $6M, 36 year old goalie.

If he goes on LT (which he could if it is the same injury as price) none of those goalies is enough to get them to the playoffs. This is a contender, they would look for proven stability. 

48 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

He's week to week, and depends on what the MRI says. 

5 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

If he goes on LT (which he could if it is the same injury as price) none of those goalies is enough to get them to the playoffs. This is a contender, they would look for proven stability. 

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's week to week, and depends on what the MRI says. 

So, yeah, they'll use what they have before they rush to trade for a $6m, 36 year old goalie over an injury that hasn't yet proven to be serious. And maybe one turns out to be good enough for the time they need to cover for. I thought I made sense in the first post.

Let's not rush to a proposal until there's actually reason to, shall we? If you want to speculate, at least speculate on who they'd go after and what the return would be, rather than just saying, "we can throw them an anchor in Miller, yeah?" I mean, they have $2M in cap space - who are we getting back other than something we actually want to make that happen (even with 50% retained)?

If we're just treading water(& Miller's playin fairly well), then maybe from Jan onwards, he might move on? Nice run on a new team, & he could nab another 1 or 2 yr deal.

Get a sense the league will be much more offensive this yr - exp'd tenders may be higher in demand, as a consequence. If that market picks up, we're well-placed for it.

Quick out 3-4 months,  Tanner Pearson  FOR Miller, 3 Mil retained, Columbus's 2nd 2018.  The young left winger that could really help,  Miller says yes for chance at Stanley & wife works there,  L.A. also needs cap space for Toffoli for next year.  Flame away.

Archived