The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Skille | #9 | RW

-AJ-

I was not expecting Skille to make the team over Ruutu. But Skille had a lot of jump. Simply did not bury his chances.

Rodin had a wicked shot but he is now on IR. Which left 1 space available.

I would have sent Virtanen down so we didn't lose Etem. That seemed like a simple move to make. Virtanen did not overly impress or earn his spot. Rodin's shot & positioning was evident.

I am not quite sure why management chose to keep Jake over Etem. Putting him on waivers was equal to letting him go.

Funny story = while walking my dog, I met a kid who was on the same team as Jake in Junior. He quipped about how it was funny that "the most immature guy" got a spot on the Canucks. 

That story makes me think that Jake's ability will not be enough to get him through the season, just like it wasn't last.

Sure, they asked him to hit. But he also got stupid a few times.

He has some growing up to do. He's got a face with a smirk that you want to punch (like Lapierre, Burr or Marchand), but has to utilize it properly.

Jake needs to position himself to get top 9 minutes. 

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

for the games Jake could play he did better then etem and why the move,sorta lost one and gained one.

Very strange, did you post this statement? Usually you have about 5 exclamation points and 10 question marks in every reply. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????????????????? 

Thank you come again :) and all in good fun bud! 

BTW I am with @LaBamba in this signing...... most NHL teams never sign PTO's and just use them to up the competition in the preseason. Hope Skille does well, but expecting more than 12 points and 3 fights from him would be asking too much. At least he is cheap in terms of contract. 

Skille isn't here for points, but will probably get as many as Etem did last year while playing a harder game than Etem. The guy was balls out in preseason. If he can refrain from taking penalties and keep up the speedy physical play then he'll fit in on the 3rd/4th line just fine. 

It was interesting seeing Skille and Labate on the same ice as they played a similar game. If Labate can generate more offence than Skille in his prime then we'll have quite a player once Labate matures a little.

If he can score 10 goals in 82 games or a similar pace and be a good PKer then that's all we really need from him. A few energy shifts and hits would be nice but he's got to be a role kind of player. Take PK time away from the big boys and make our 4th line useful. Hopefully he can win some faceoffs too.

With Granlund moving up in the lineup, Skille becomes a key centerman.

7 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Very strange, did you post this statement? Usually you have about 5 exclamation points and 10 question marks in every reply. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????????????????? 

Thank you come again :) and all in good fun bud! 

BTW I am with @LaBamba in this signing...... most NHL teams never sign PTO's and just use them to up the competition in the preseason. Hope Skille does well, but expecting more than 12 points and 3 fights from him would be asking too much. At least he is cheap in terms of contract. 

Plus, he's a matured product.  He is what he is, and will not get better.  He can easily be put in the press box for game after game, and he will be happy with that role.  Plus, he will be able to fill in when the time comes, and you know what to expect from him.  He's like a perfect 13th forward.

Avalanche fans really liked Skille and wish he had been re-signed.  They think he is and excellent 4th liner.  Strong, fast, defensively solid and an extremely hard worker.  If he had a good shot (which he doesn't) he would easily be a top 6 player.

This is a great move in many respects, foremost being the level of determination in competition to make the team has been raised.

Great move for development at the proper level, that being the AHL, not the NHL.

Jack Skille has allowed the power -grit game to be evenly distributed over the 3rd and 4th line.. this will pay dividends to us, especially in 2nd period action, where great fore checking is a killer on opposing line changes at the opposite end of the ice.

Looking forward to Skille's drives to the net.. he may not go bar down too many times,. But he will leave bushels of apples in the crease for line mates.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If he can score 10 goals in 82 games or a similar pace and be a good PKer then that's all we really need from him. A few energy shifts and hits would be nice but he's got to be a role kind of player. Take PK time away from the big boys and make our 4th line useful. Hopefully he can win some faceoffs too.

With Granlund moving up in the lineup, Skille becomes a key centerman.

Actually, if you watched him in any preseason tilts you'd have seen that energy shifts and hits are going to be his exact role here, and I don't think he's going to end up taking many faceoffs. 

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Skille is hard to play against . Etem is talented but soft.

Skille is  sand paper.....  Etem is  Charmin

Willie needs to win now to stay employed past X-mas...

I like .Skilled.  I don't think he should play ahead of a young developing player (Labate) but he is certainly better than Burrows, and maybe Dorsett too.  It's just at 29, is he anything more than a place holder?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I like .Skilled.  I don't think he should play ahead of a young developing player (Labate) but he is certainly better than Burrows, and maybe Dorsett too.  It's just at 29, is he anything more than a place holder?

He is there to help keep Willie employed past Christmas...

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why should t he play ahead of LaBate Alf?

you just said Labate is developing..  Developing players get more ice time and situational play in the minors, NOT riding the end of the bench for 5-7 mins.

Skille can offer far more than that, and has allowed the 3rd & 4th lines to be expanded into lines with grit and skill. Rotation will be quick and trusted.

If you can't play with more determination than a vet, do you get granted a position that puts more pressure and heavier minutes on 3 lines, with the 4th barely used and coddled because a rookie is developing on it?

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Why should t he play ahead of LaBate Alf?

you just said Labate is developing..  Developing players get more ice time and situational play in the minors, NOT riding the end of the bench for 5-7 mins.

Skille can offer far more than that, and has allowed the 3rd & 4th lines to be expanded into lines with grit and skill. Rotation will be quick and trusted.

If you can't play with more determination than a vet, do you get granted a position that puts more pressure and heavier minutes on 3 lines, with the 4th barely used and coddled because a rookie is developing on it?

If Labate does well this year then I can see Skille being attractive to a playoff bound team. If Skille does well then maybe Burrows or Dorsett can be dealt at the TDL.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yippee!  We might finish smack dab in the middle!  Yippee:( 13th pick in the June draft...yip..oh hell...:(:(:(

So what!

A generational player by definition comes along once every 10 years or so.  Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid (time will confirm this).  This is rarified air and a very short list.

Superstar is a term that gets over used.  It pretty much goes for players who are always in the running for various individual awards.  Doughty, Karlsson etc  There are maybe 10-15 of these in the league.  The Sedins were there but only for a few years.  Many teams don't have one of these.  Matthews < McDavid so he would only qualify as a superstar if he develops well.

Elite is the sort of player who plays for one of the better national teams on a year in year out basis.  Team Canada, USA, Sweden, Russia.....I think that there are players who make a national squad who you wouldn't call elite.

The 2011 Bruins had players who pretty much capped out at the elite level imo.  Chara was drafted 56 OA in 1996, Tim Thomas 217 OA, Patrice Bergeron 45 OA, Milan Lucic 50 OA, David Krejci 63 OA, Johnny Boychuk 61 OA, Brad Marchand 71 OA.....am I missing some core players from that SC winning team? 

Surely, you're getting the picture.  None of these guys were even first round picks.  Development > Drafting B) 

Archived