The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen | #63 | D

-SN-

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Been the best overall dman in the first two games, imo.  Dynamic in the offensive zone and smart and solid with good outlet passes in the dzone.

I want more time to evaluate but agree that he has looked good in the ozone. Moves the puck well and does not make risky moves. What I saw creeping into Stecher's game was a willingness to make high risk passes which could easily turn up ice. He made many of those passes but one had to expect that it would catch up with him. AHL time will help that. Larsen plays well within the Swedish unit and will likely get more comfortable. Best d-man to date for me goes to Gudbranson. IMHO his presence is changing how his d-core team mates are playing their games. The physical play aside EG calms down the d-zone. All the d-core are moving the puck up ice quite well.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I want more time to evaluate but agree that he has looked good in the ozone. Moves the puck well and does not make risky moves. What I saw creeping into Stecher's game was a willingness to make high risk passes which could easily turn up ice. He made many of those passes but one had to expect that it would catch up with him. AHL time will help that. Larsen plays well within the Swedish unit and will likely get more comfortable. Best d-man to date for me goes to Gudbranson. IMHO his presence is changing how his d-core team mates are playing their games. The physical play aside EG calms down the d-zone. All the d-core are moving the puck up ice quite well.  

Really?  For me, Gudbranson has looked slow and out of position at times.  First period vs. the Flames alone, he got caught flat-footed that resulted in clear path for opposing forwards to the net on a couple of ocassion (though he made the great sweep check); vs. the 'canes', watched him get caught on the left wall and nearly knocked one into own net.   That's the bad I've noticed...the good is that he's been pretty dang good at sealing guys off and keeping opposing forwards honest around the blue paint.

No d-man has really stood out...though I have to say, I'm pleasently surprised at how well Larsen and Sbisa (with each other and independent of each other) have played in the first two games.

Just my take on two games so far.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Been the best overall dman in the first two games, imo.  Dynamic in the offensive zone and smart and solid with good outlet passes in the dzone.

Dynamic .. is great discription Stawns.  I think he is just warming up.. I'm sure we see him on a few 3 on 2's in November..

Great speed and puck skills, an awesome release, usually on net, and if not, hitting some one to create crease chaos.

His positional play and anticipation is exceptional.

I think we won Bingo on this trade,. Another handling blunder by the Oilers.

I have the admit I was wrong. Philip Larsen is a good defenceman. He is NOT Weber 2.0. He is very adequate in the D zone and is a quite good offensively. And he can run the power play. 

He should be a lock to stick with the big club, which will allow Stecher to grow his game in Utica. 

Fun fact:. Larsen is the only Canucks Dman to not be on for an opposition goal. 

Just now, Harvey Spector said:

I have the admit I was wrong. Philip Larsen is a good defenceman. He is NOT Weber 2.0. He is very adequate in the D zone and is a quite good offensively. And he can run the power play. 

He should be a lock to stick with the big club, which will allow Stecher to grow his game in Utica. 

He did play well both games, especially on the d - side of the puck. Offence will be there with him.  

Do you think he will start joining the rush more, as his confidence increases?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He did play well both games, especially on the d - side of the puck. Offence will be there with him.  

Do you think he will start joining the rush more, as his confidence increases?

Yes I think he is just getting used to the North American game right now. We'll see in 20 games where he's at but I think he will continue to get better and be our PP guy. He could be a steal for a 5th round pick. 

Just now, Harvey Spector said:

Yes I think he is just getting used to the North American game right now. We'll see in 20 games where he's at but I think he will continue to get better and be our PP guy. He could be a steal for a 5th round pick. 

That's good stuff.  Thanks!  I bad mouthed the guy too, but he looks good enough defensively, providing Sbisa keeps playing hard on pucks.  I wonder if he has a wrister that can score on NHL goalies?  

58 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I wasn't one way or the other, but I certainly was willing to wait and see first.

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We will get a better read when the competition gets a little better. The Blues game will good be a good gauge.

agreed, but on the scale of comparable to the other dmen, he's been the best surprise I think.

He has definitely surprised me. I had high hopes for his offensive game, but that hasn't been what's impressed me the most. What has surprised me is that he is very active on the puck in the d-zone and isn't afraid to throw his body around either. There have been multiple times where he has separated a player from the puck using his body and then skating/passing it out of trouble. My only complaint is that he continues to miss the net on his one timers during the PP, but I do think that it is just a matter of getting comfortable and not trying to pick a corner (smaller ice than KHL so he might think he needs to snipe it if he is that close). 

It is also nice to know that he can log bigger minutes if need be  (20 min last night), and play with different partners (shuffled with Edler last game). Truly a versatile defenseman and doesn't try to do too much (Bartkowski). We'll see if he can play consistently, but for now i'm pleased. 

Playing better than the preseason and even his 2nd game was an improvement over his first IMO. Made some nice defensive plays and looks like he might be able to help in the Ozone once he gets a bit more acclimated.

Actually kind of excited to see what he looks like in ~ a month.

Archived