The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen | #63 | D

-SN-

10 hours ago, BrettAdv_7 said:

He has definitely surprised me. I had high hopes for his offensive game, but that hasn't been what's impressed me the most. What has surprised me is that he is very active on the puck in the d-zone and isn't afraid to throw his body around either. There have been multiple times where he has separated a player from the puck using his body and then skating/passing it out of trouble. My only complaint is that he continues to miss the net on his one timers during the PP, but I do think that it is just a matter of getting comfortable and not trying to pick a corner (smaller ice than KHL so he might think he needs to snipe it if he is that close). 

It is also nice to know that he can log bigger minutes if need be  (20 min last night), and play with different partners (shuffled with Edler last game). Truly a versatile defenseman and doesn't try to do too much (Bartkowski). We'll see if he can play consistently, but for now i'm pleased. 

People in the GDT's have had similar issues with his shot accuracy and getting shots blocked. The thing that actually impressed me the most is that he always gets the puck past the first defender, he does not put his head down and fire into the incoming shin pads. I think some of the accuracy issues are related to this as his primary focus is getting the puck past that first guy.

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

So is the release of this dude inevitable with Stecher in the wings? Assuming Stecher takes the next step next year I'd have to think Larsen is the odd man out.

Not if he continues to play as well defensively.  The guy played 21 minutes against Carolina.  Those are top four minutes.  If anything happens, I'm hoping Larson's emergence, and Stecher being able to play in the 5/6 pair, would mean JB can trade Tanev and get us another elite forward prospect.  Fingers and toes crossed, and legs too - gotta go pee.:wacko: 

Larsen definitely is bringing what we were lacking on the PP.

I feel like Edler would be better suited on the #1 PP so that there is the threat of shots coming from both defencemen. I mean, Daniel on the point is good for puck possession but no one fears his shot. With Edler there Larsen they can cross each other and set each other up for one timers as well.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Edler-Larsen

10 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

So is the release of this dude inevitable with Stecher in the wings? Assuming Stecher takes the next step next year I'd have to think Larsen is the odd man out.

Larsen has been running the # 1 pp... and doing a great job. Although our pp isn't really capitalizing right now, the pressure is there, these guys are just getting used to each other.

Sbisa, Biegga, or even Tanev leaves before Stetcher cracks the team...  no way he is fast tracked.

AHL is the best place to harden him up.. after all, the College hockey he was playing has games twice a week, for a total of about 60 games.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Larsen has been running the # 1 pp... and doing a great job. Although our pp isn't really capitalizing right now, the pressure is there, these guys are just getting used to each other.

Sbisa, Biegga, or even Tanev leaves before Stetcher cracks the team...  no way he is fast tracked.

AHL is the best place to harden him up.. after all, the College hockey he was playing has games twice a week, for a total of about 60 games.

I agree that Stetcher's place this year, unless major injury occurs to the team, will be with Utica. 

I think that Jake's place should be in Utica as well. I'm convinced that playing every other night is not the best for Jake. He should be playing every night. 

He's opened up the power play in a way we haven't seen for a long time, and he's doing his job - getting pucks on net. Whats really going to be interesting is, if this keeps up do you extend him or not? The way the PP is developing so far, the way Stecher plays you could slot him in there doing the same thing. Or is there somehow room on the team for both? If we had a 2nd unit with Stecher in a similar style of play that would be fun to see. 

9 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I have been chirping about Larsen all through the threads this morning. His play is getting stronger each game. I thought the Blues game would be a solid measure as they are CUP contenders. Larsen is not taking a lot of blueline ozone chances. He moves the puck well to both sides. The Twins on the half boards with Larsen at mid blue line has to yield more ppg as it is creating chances. Like it a lot.

10 hours ago, khay said:

Larsen definitely is bringing what we were lacking on the PP.

I feel like Edler would be better suited on the #1 PP so that there is the threat of shots coming from both defencemen. I mean, Daniel on the point is good for puck possession but no one fears his shot. With Edler there Larsen they can cross each other and set each other up for one timers as well.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Edler-Larsen

Been saying that since the pre-season....

PP1

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Edler-Larsen

PP2

Granlund, Horvat, Baer

Hutton, Sutter

Sorry, not seeing his worth/hype here and feel he is getting too much ice time just because he is right handed.  He is not running the powerplay by any means and his shot is on par with the rest of our D(meaning below average).  Put Hutton and Sutter on the points instead, Hutton is already much more gifted in the offensive zone.  I understand Hutton is left handed but that's why you put Sutter back there as well if the Sedins need a RH on the point. 

44 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Sorry, not seeing his worth/hype here and feel he is getting too much ice time just because he is right handed.  He is not running the powerplay by any means and his shot is on par with the rest of our D(meaning below average).  Put Hutton and Sutter on the points instead, Hutton is already much more gifted in the offensive zone.  I understand Hutton is left handed but that's why you put Sutter back there as well if the Sedins need a RH on the point. 

They're playing him in the wrong spot. He's not a point guy, he's a slot kinda guy.

Net

Eriksson                            

Sutter

D. Sedin                                                          H. Sedin

Larsen

Is how they're playing.

Net

Eriksson                            

D. Sedin

Larsen                                                          H. Sedin

Edler/Hutton/Tanev

Is how they should be playing. In his highlights from last year, Larsen got a lot of his points from the left side of the net.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

He may be getting a little over hyped but we've been without a good PMD for so long I think having one is like manna.What's scary is having 2 more good PMD in Utica. (maybe 3) With the newer NHL these smaller PMD are great for our transition game.

What I've been impressed with is his evasiveness and not getting hit. 

Stecher will be a great call up sometime this year for PMD. Tryamkin is a great insert for a stay at home D. Rodin isa great insert for anyone who can't score.

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He may be getting a little over hyped but we've been without a good PMD for so long I think having one is like manna.What's scary is having 2 more good PMD in Utica. (maybe 3) With the newer NHL these smaller PMD are great for our transition game.

What I've been impressed with is his evasiveness and not getting hit. 

Stecher will be a great call up sometime this year for PMD. Tryamkin is a great insert for a stay at home D. Rodin isa great insert for anyone who can't score.

I don't think so. Especially considering all the hate he got from the "Stecher now" camp. It took two solid games before he even got his rightful spot in this thread(Stecher blinders again). Stecher played with Edler the entire time so we never really got to see how he would do with Sbisa, Hutton, or even Tryamkin. Larsen earned his spot whether people like it or not.

Just now, RWMc1 said:

I don't think so. Especially considering all the hate he got from the "Stecher now" camp. It took two solid games before he even got his rightful spot in this thread(Stecher blinders again). Stecher played with Edler the entire time so we never really got to see how he would do with Sbisa, Hutton, or even Tryamkin. Larsen earned his spot whether people like it or not.

From what I saw Stecher is equally adept at moving the puck at the point and findinding his passing lanes. I think he might be a bit faster at carrying the puck but definitely has a better shot. But I agree we couldn't lose Larsen on waivers. 

I think Stecher's edge is that he is more assertive with the puck when he gets it. But Larsen is learning.

10 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

They're playing him in the wrong spot. He's not a point guy, he's a slot kinda guy.

Net

Eriksson                            

Sutter

D. Sedin                                                          H. Sedin

Larsen

Is how they're playing.

Net

Eriksson                            

D. Sedin

Larsen                                                          H. Sedin

Edler/Hutton/Tanev

Is how they should be playing. In his highlights from last year, Larsen got a lot of his points from the left side of the net.

This is what I would try as well with Edler and Larsen switching spots dynamically as needed and same for Daniel and Eriksson.

Daniel playing down low would open up a possibility of threading a pass to Larsen on the opposite side for one timer so they've got to take that passing lane. Which would give some space to Eriksson to position himself in the slot for a quick snap shot.

And Edler can also send a one time of his own from time to time. Having multiple possibilities where a shot can come from will make the PP lethal. The current PP has only Larsen was the shot option.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

From what I saw Stecher is equally adept at moving the puck at the point and findinding his passing lanes. I think he might be a bit faster at carrying the puck but definitely has a better shot. But I agree we couldn't lose Larsen on waivers

I think Stecher's edge is that he is more assertive with the puck when he gets it. But Larsen is learning.

Wasn't it Ferraro who said "he'd pass right through"?  True or not, there was little chance we were were going to try.

13 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

From what I saw Stecher is equally adept at moving the puck at the point and findinding his passing lanes. I think he might be a bit faster at carrying the puck but definitely has a better shot. But I agree we couldn't lose Larsen on waivers. 

I'd say Stetcher looks more assertive and creative offensively. Larsen however looks more composed in his own end without giving up a ton offensively to Stetcher. That's likely want earned him the starting gig. That and organizational depth.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd say Stetcher looks more assertive and creative offensively. Larsen however looks more composed in his own end without giving up a ton offensively to Stetcher. That's likely want earned him the starting gig. That and organizational depth.

Well if he goes down or needs games off Stech would be good fill in.

Archived