The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen | #63 | D

-SN-

46 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well if he goes down or needs games off Stech would be good fill in.

Agreed. 

There's bound to be injuries on the blueline, especially given the division and conference we're at. 

So it wouldn't surprise me if Stetcher was called up for a few games here and there. He's going to be a better player having a season in Utica for sure. I think he makes the big club next year, without a doubt, and Juolevi will be challenging at that time too, I would think, especially if he's dealing with his weight, and putting on muscle this year. 

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Agreed. 

There's bound to be injuries on the blueline, especially given the division and conference we're at. 

So it wouldn't surprise me if Stetcher was called up for a few games here and there. He's going to be a better player having a season in Utica for sure. I think he makes the big club next year, without a doubt, and Juolevi will be challenging at that time too, I would think, especially if he's dealing with his weight, and putting on muscle this year. 

For the first time we have proper fill ins for D, Tryamkin is great if Edler or Tanev get a knock or bruise, Biega can spot anywhere and is a lot like Sbisa. Looks good back there finally.

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

For the first time we have proper fill ins for D, Tryamkin is great if Edler or Tanev get a knock or bruise, Biega can spot anywhere and is a lot like Sbisa. Looks good back there finally.

Thanks to JB. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I think we can all comfortably agree that Larsen is not going to cut it. Willie is delusional if he thinks Larsen is the answer for our PP woes. I still can't wrap my head around the amount of mistakes he makes on a nightly basis, and how weak he is on the puck. Guy goes down on a soft shove. Sorry to say it but hes a plug. We have other options.

11 hours ago, NeilColville said:

So I think we can all comfortably agree that Larsen is not going to cut it. Willie is delusional if he thinks Larsen is the answer for our PP woes. I still can't wrap my head around the amount of mistakes he makes on a nightly basis, and how weak he is on the puck. Guy goes down on a soft shove. Sorry to say it but hes a plug. We have other options.

What not even 10 games and your mind is made? At the very least Larsen gets more games if nothing else to feature him for a possible trade. Certainly Stecher has looked very good and WD putting both Stecher and Larsen on the same PP looked very interesting. Since this roster is not a playoff contender I am quite happy to have Benning explore all his options and make deals when it has the most benefit. Stecher in the AHL for 30 games is not the end of the Canuck world.

Sbisa is the #5 and Stecher, Larson, Biega and Tryamkin are fighting for #6, #7 and #8.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

What not even 10 games and your mind is made? At the very least Larsen gets more games if nothing else to feature him for a possible trade. Certainly Stecher has looked very good and WD putting both Stecher and Larsen on the same PP looked very interesting. Since this roster is not a playoff contender I am quite happy to have Benning explore all his options and make deals when it has the most benefit. Stecher in the AHL for 30 games is not the end of the Canuck world.

Sbisa is the #5 and Stecher, Larson, Biega and Tryamkin are fighting for #6, #7 and #8.

10 games in and all he has done is get knocked off the puck. I am not one to complain 10 games in but Larsen has been given every opportunity to make an impact and he still hasn't shown the slightest improvement. Biega is a way better alternative. I really don't see what people see in Larsen...

6 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

10 games in and all he has done is get knocked off the puck. I am not one to complain 10 games in but Larsen has been given every opportunity to make an impact and he still hasn't shown the slightest improvement. Biega is a way better alternative. I really don't see what people see in Larsen...

He's small, soft, and scared.  These are the three career killer s' 

Stecher is already top four, plus he makes Edler better, something Tanev can't.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He's small, soft, and scared.  These are the three career killer s' 

Stecher is already top four, plus he makes Edler better, something Tanev can't.

Small and soft - sure. I'll give you that.  But he's one of the few defensemen we have who actually get the puck to the net. 

And besides that, yes - Stecher is awesome, but Tanev pairs just fine with Edler.  Did you not happen to notice how lost Edler was when Tanev wasn't there to support him and bail him out of his regular defensive gaffs?

I was hoping for more from Larsen for sure.  But he's not really THAT bad.  He just needs to be used very selectively, and to be kept on very light defensive assignments.  If he had to move over to make room for Stecher, I have no issues with that.  I think it is pretty clear who has the better all-around game between the two.

This is what I feel would likely be the best defensive pairings possible we could come up with:

Edler Tanev

Gudbranson Hutton

Stecher Tryamkin

Larsen, Sbisa

Tryamkin, only if provided his mobility and intelligence (or lack of on both accounts) doesn't constitute a major liability.  If not, then he brings way more physicality than Sbisa, and no worse of a scoring threat.  Stecher gives us more points as well as better defensive responsibility than Larsen.  (grammer edit)

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Small and soft - sure. I'll give you that.  But he's one of the few defensemen we have who actually get the puck to the net. 

And besides that, yes - Stecher is awesome, but Tanev pairs just fine with Edler.  Did you not happen to notice how lost Edler was when Tanev wasn't there to support him and bail him out of his regular defensive gaffs?

I was hoping for more from Larsen for sure.  But he's not really THAT bad.  He just needs to be used very selectively, and to be kept on very light defensive assignments.  If he had to move over to make room for Stecher, I have no issues with that.  I think it is pretty clear who has the better all-around game between the two.

This is what I feel would likely be the best defensive pairings possible we could come up with:

Edler Tanev

Gudbranson Hutton

Stecher Tryamkin

Larsen, Sbisa

Tryamkin, only if he can provides his mobility and intelligence (or lack of on both accounts) doesn't constitute a major liability.  If not, then he brings way more physicality than Sbisa, and no worse of a scoring threat.  Stecher gives us more points as well as better defensive responsibility than Larsen. 

I'm okay with those pairings.  I bet Stecher would really help whomever his partner is.  Stecher is a really good player.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'm okay with those pairings.  I bet Stecher would really help whomever his partner is.  Stecher is a really good player.

He really is.  And he seems to have been able to handle his NHL transition better than many (myself included) expected. I always assumed he would spend a year in Utica, because that's typically what would happen for development and confidence purposes... especially for a defensemen.

It would pain me to see Sbisa's 3.5m sitting in the press box though.  I feel that Larsen and Biega would be reasonable enough 7th and 8th defensemen for when injuries occur, so again, we run into the fact that Sbisa is redundant.

Guess Stecher just got sent back down.  Benning HAS to realize that he's fully capable of being here, so I should imagine he's working the phones looking for a trade.  Considering that we need scoring help, it only makes sense the major pieces would be one of our defenseman for a 2nd line forward.  I just hope that maybe Sbisa plus a prospect not named Juolevi, Demko, or Boeser is enough to get us someone worthwhile back.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:42 PM, kloubek said:

He really is.  And he seems to have been able to handle his NHL transition better than many (myself included) expected. I always assumed he would spend a year in Utica, because that's typically what would happen for development and confidence purposes... especially for a defensemen.

It would pain me to see Sbisa's 3.5m sitting in the press box though.  I feel that Larsen and Biega would be reasonable enough 7th and 8th defensemen for when injuries occur, so again, we run into the fact that Sbisa is redundant.

Guess Stecher just got sent back down.  Benning HAS to realize that he's fully capable of being here, so I should imagine he's working the phones looking for a trade.  Considering that we need scoring help, it only makes sense the major pieces would be one of our defenseman for a 2nd line forward.  I just hope that maybe Sbisa plus a prospect not named Juolevi, Demko, or Boeser is enough to get us someone worthwhile back.

Good summaries.

Stecher is in Utica because he can be with no risk. Hope he gets move in and out of the line up all season. Benning does have to make a decision which likely includes a dman moving out. The other consideration is who gets left unprotected from Vegas. I disagree with your assessment of Sbisa and think he is a solid #5. I can agree that Tryamkin has to have games to figure out what he offers. In all likelihood he is a #6. Again he is a no risk to Vegas. IMHO Benning can play a patient game thru the season and capitalize on a other team's immediate need. The Canucks are not going anywhere this year or next. Defense is the only depth the Canucks have. Sbisa is tradable but Larsen and Biega are not. Larsen and Biega are subject to waivers and Vegas picking one of them off.

Not willing to write off Larsen yet either. Give him 40 - 50 games. I got a kick out of Larsen and Stecher on the same PP the other day. They do move the puck well. No matter how well the d-men play they have to have forwards who can score.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I disagree with your assessment of Sbisa and think he is a solid #5.

Actually, I feel Sbisa is a solid #6, and only a moderate #5.  But then, we're really not far off from our assessments.

Where my comment came from about his redundancy isn't because I think he is horrible as many do.  It is just that given our current defense, we simply don't need him. 

Sbisa does not excel in any one area.  He is probably more physical than anything, but he has very limited scoring potential, and though not horrible, he's not the best at playing in his own zone either.  I feel that if we had Tryamkin in the lineup, between he and Gudbranson, we remove the need of Sbisa's best trait, which is his physicality.  With nothing significant to offer outside of that, I just don't see the point in having him eat up 3.5m in cap space.

So again, it isn't that I don't agree he's a solid 5th/6th defenseman - it is just that he is redundant in our system.

Otherwise, I get the other things you mentioned in your post.  Stecher can indeed move in and out of the lineup without issue, which is certainly a good position for us to be in. 

On 11/1/2016 at 9:08 PM, NeilColville said:

I'm trying to stay positive about this guy but he's not giving me much to go on. He appears dominated in all areas of the game and seems to have problems understanding that the puck actually has to hit the net to have a chance to go in. So far, very unimpressed. I still want to give it a bit more time before moves are made but I have to agree, this is a no brainer move at this point. Drop Larsen bring back Stetcher full time.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Actually, I feel Sbisa is a solid #6, and only a moderate #5.  But then, we're really not far off from our assessments.

Where my comment came from about his redundancy isn't because I think he is horrible as many do.  It is just that given our current defense, we simply don't need him. 

Sbisa does not excel in any one area.  He is probably more physical than anything, but he has very limited scoring potential, and though not horrible, he's not the best at playing in his own zone either.  I feel that if we had Tryamkin in the lineup, between he and Gudbranson, we remove the need of Sbisa's best trait, which is his physicality.  With nothing significant to offer outside of that, I just don't see the point in having him eat up 3.5m in cap space.

So again, it isn't that I don't agree he's a solid 5th/6th defenseman - it is just that he is redundant in our system.

Otherwise, I get the other things you mentioned in your post.  Stecher can indeed move in and out of the lineup without issue, which is certainly a good position for us to be in. 

I can agree with your take on Sbisa if Tryamkin proves out. My concern with Tanev long term continues as he sits out with an injury.

I do not understand all the hate this guy gets on these boards. He has not once made a horrible pass up the middle (COUGH spizza), sure he is a little soft in the corners but its not like on the 3rd pairing he has been stapled in his own end.

This kid can walk the line and get shots through. The thing is most of you probably do not realize those shots are supposed to be tipped. Let me ask who exactly is the net front presence on PP Unit 1? Some compare him to Garrison, well this kid gets off quick wristers and then it is cleared because nobody on the PP can beat defenders to loose pucks. He does not slap it wide by 10 feet, instead uses quick wristers hoping for a tip or some kind of scramble in front of the net. 

He also has great skating and came back on numerous backchecks to make up for our forwards lack of speed. Not saying he is a world beater but still, he is not nearly as bad as Weber or Bartkowski in his own zone. Could be he is playing with Sbizza, but who knows? 

All I know is when I watch this guy play he does not jump out at me as a horrible defender like some of you are saying. Maybe play Trymak with Lars and leave Sbisa to sit, but then thats a heck of a contract to be scratching. 

Just now, The 5th Line said:

He has been great,  He's likely not in the teams long term plans and people always need a whipping boy so there you have it

I agree, I have yet to see one major blunder from him. In fact he has elite level skating and actually has agility and puckhandling skills to walk the line on the PP. I have watched every game so far and never swore at him once. Sbisa on the other hand......Larson is a PP D man we need, he has hit on many one timers and handled the puck quite well, but there is absolutely no front net presence at all! Heck maybe try Burr there again.....

Too bad he wont last because some fans do not understand hockey. Maybe those in opposition to this kid can show me some nice clips of him giving the puck away or being hemmed in his own zone, because I can sure show them a movie on Sbizza doing these things. 

Archived